U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
So while looking for more positive examples of dark-skinned beauties I had to stop and wonder, how do you even tell what skin color a celebrity is? The lighting, the makeup, their outfit, and the flash of the camera seem to make some women's skin tone appear anywhere between deep mocha and barely tanned.

I was looking at Jada Pinkett Smith and I think this was probably the most beautiful pic that came up on the search
It is definitely tricky, they do a lot of lighting tricks for sure. Jada is pretty light though.

I am at the dark end of the spectrum, so I consciously look for someone within a couple of shades to myself (or darker), since we are rarely portrayed. I ususally see the darker people more, they have different undertones than I do. I am "chocolate" with warm undertones. There are also people that are more like "espresso" or "dark chocolate" with more neutral undertones.

So much variation! I am hoping that the pantone skin tone project gets more people at the darker end of the spectrum!

humanę

Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Let's turn this thread into a celebration of the "other" black beauties.

I'll start!

Tika Sumpter: she is totally All-America girl

Jill Marie Jones (where is she hiding!)

This is one of my fave blogs. Street style, range of skin tones, shapes, and sizes. Sometimes the looks are a little "fashion bloggy" but a good read nonetheless.
Black Girls Killing It
Where is Jill Marie Jones hiding? In my bedroom, of course.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I don't know what you're talking about....I'm not light or mixed and i know I'm the bomb. I get approached a lot, at the gym, the grocery store, the mall...you name it. Where do you live that you feel only light or mixed women get all the attention?
Fantasy Island?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
She has killer style:

FashionBeautyInsight
Yeah, but -- why is it when I see women in high heels being photographed they are almost always standing pigeon toed? Is that a trick, like standing sideways makes you look thinner? I see on Fhasion Police onthe red carpets all the time

Old 08-23-2012, 12:48 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yeah, but -- why is it when I see women in high heels being photographed they are almost always standing pigeon toed? Is that a trick, like standing sideways makes you look thinner? I see on Fhasion Police onthe red carpets all the time
Seems to be an attempt to look cutesy, like so. The pose makes me think of Betty Boop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty