U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM

899 posts, read 1,447,530 times

Advertisements

I have a very young looking face and would like some makeup tips that would make me look more mature. I'm in my 30's and work in a scientific field. I feel like people don't always take me seriously because they automatically assume I'm fresh out of school or that I don't have a lot of experience. I was recently told that I look like i'm 19

I do put an effort into wearing nice clothes and do wear natural/light makeup, but maybe a change would help. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
A great haircut has been known to alter how old you look!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
I have a very young looking face and would like some makeup tips that would make me look more mature. I'm in my 30's and work in a scientific field. I feel like people don't always take me seriously because they automatically assume I'm fresh out of school or that I don't have a lot of experience. I was recently told that I look like i'm 19

I do put an effort into wearing nice clothes and do wear natural/light makeup, but maybe a change would help. Any ideas?
I have the same exact problem. Can't wait to see the responses!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
Hey....don't knock the "looking younger than your years" thing.....when you're 50, you'll be happy to only look 30!!!

But, truly, a good haircut can really change your features....and so can your wardrobe! But if you look youthful, embrace it! It won't last forever!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:58 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,326,570 times
Make a trip to the makeup counter. The right lip color (probably non glossy) and some mascara will help. And I agree with the other posters. Don't worry about it too much. Time will help in this area for sure.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 PM
s06

105 posts, read 212,905 times
I have the same problem. A girl, who thought I was around her age, told me that I looked like Kristen Stewart.

Honestly, looking young isn't as great as older people assume it is- it's not fun to be harassed by males of all ages and races on the street, people who assume I'm naive or easy to manipulate.

For me, wearing darker colors and blazers, and parting my hair off to one side, gives me a more mature look. My hair is slightly layered (shorter on the sides, sloping downward towards my back).

Also, I don't wear heavy makeup at all -only chapstick that looks like gloss- because when I tried on several shades of dark lipstick and black mascara, I thought that I looked like a little girl playing dress up.

Maybe it would help you to look at pictures of a celebrity who resembles you (for inspiration), to see how professional hairstylists and make-up artists have styled them.

Basically, I recommend experimenting with different hairstyles, wearing different palettes, etc., until you find a combination that appeals to you and makes you feel happy and confident.

Last edited by s06; 08-23-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,236,559 times
More eye make-up and maybe fake glasses if you don't need glasses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty