U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM

701 posts, read 1,207,725 times

Advertisements

Anyone who calls themselves a woman (cis-gendered, transgendered, intersex) is a "real" woman. Size and fat percentage have absolutely no bearing on what it means to be a "real" woman. I've always believed that phrase was just another way to pit women against each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times
A woman is a woman, period. I remember as a young woman of about 25 or so I was facing having a hysterectomy. My ex mother in law kept telling me it wouldn't make me any less of a woman. I didn't care about that. I knew having the surgery wasn't going to make me less of a woman. I was a woman.

It was going to make me unable to have anymore children. I was still going to be a woman, of course.

I think I saw Oleg Bach explain it best.....

I think I am plenty woman, and it is not because I get up and curl my hair and put on make-up, because I do neither....

Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Anyone who calls themselves a woman (cis-gendered, transgendered, intersex) is a "real" woman. Size and fat percentage have absolutely no bearing on what it means to be a "real" woman. I've always believed that phrase was just another way to pit women against each other.
I am not sure I agree with your statement. In my opinion, if you weren't born a woman, you are not a woman.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 PM

517 posts, read 714,461 times
I always thought a real woman was anyone who isn't plastic or doesn't need extensive make up to have her beauty shine through...

Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 PM

27,448 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Well, whatever it is I'm not going to participate in anything that puts down other women due to anything like, or maintenance or anything.

I can't see ANY point in proclaiming X group are REAL women and the others are not.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,441,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's a term in fashion and marketing, which uses idealistic standards normally (size 2, 6 ft tall, etc.)

The term "real woman" is when they use normal women (short or anything not standard skinny model).
Oh nifty, I'm 6 ft and a size 2, nice to know I'm somebody's ideal.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am not sure I agree with your statement. In my opinion, if you weren't born a woman, you are not a woman.
Take trans-gendered women, for example. They were born as men, but in their minds they felt like women even though physically they looked otherwise. As they get older, some trans* people ask to be referred to as women because that is the gender they truly feel they are. I believe that if someone calls themselves a woman, then they are a woman. Who am I to say, "No, you cannot be a woman because you weren't born with a vagina, breasts, ovaries, etc."? Not only that, but I would feel as if I were being rude and dismissive towards their gender identity.

Gender and sex do not always go hand and hand.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,289,077 times
Quote:
Take trans-gendered women, for example. They were born as men, but in their minds they felt like women even though physically they looked otherwise. As they get older, some trans* people ask to be referred to as women because that is the gender they truly feel they are. I believe that if someone calls themselves a woman, then they are a woman. Who am I to say, "No, you cannot be a woman because you weren't born with a vagina, breasts, ovaries, etc."? Not only that, but I would feel as if I were being rude and dismissive towards their gender identity.

Gender and sex do not always go hand and hand.
You may not say NO you are not But you have the right FRAME of mind to know otherwise.
Just because someone believes they are something, does not mean they are.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
You may not say NO you are not But you have the right FRAME of mind to know otherwise.
Just because someone believes they are something, does not mean they are.
So, if you met a trans woman, you would tell her "You can't possibly be a woman because you weren't born one. We all know if you're born a man, then you are one for life." even if she tells you, "No, I know in my heart I was meant to be born a woman, and it makes me feel whole to call myself one."?

If so, that is appalling. I really shouldn't be surprised because transphobia does exist, but I'm truly disgusted right now. No one has the right to decide someone else's gender identity even if it is confusing to you nor does anyone have the right to tell them that their gender identity is wrong.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:48 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,289,077 times
Quote:
So, if you met a trans woman, you would tell her "You can't possibly be a woman because you weren't born one. We all know if you're born a man, then you are one for life." even if she tells you, "No, I know in my heart I was meant to be born a woman, and it makes me feel whole to call myself one."?

If so, that is appalling. I really shouldn't be surprised because transphobia does exist, but I'm truly disgusted right now. No one has the right to decide someone else's gender identity even if it is confusing to you nor does anyone have the right to tell them that their gender identity is wrong.
I understand you are appalled however it does nothing to change the fact that a transgender person is born male/female before this SURGICAL transformation.

I possess absoluetly zero prejudice toward someone of the transgender lifestyle.

My intention is not to offend anyone, my stance will be my belief; could I be wrong sure, just as you.
I appreciate your input seriously, I learn much from the members of CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or