Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 PM

273 posts, read 503,062 times

Advertisements

Since moving to the DC metro area I stepped up my personal appearance quite a bit. I made quite an investment in shoes and accessories. When I have business meetings I typically wear slacks and a collared dress shirt. I started wearing suits recently and I'm considering a suit and tie as a full-time look when appropriate. Obviously, for running errands and the weekends I'd be casual. My suit and tie look would mostly be for in the office, meetings and hanging out at after hours spots and dinners.

Any perceptions or benefits to this look for both social and business environments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
You'll look more professional and people will pay more attention to you in both environments. Business-wise, it might make it easier to see someone higher up the chain vs. being passed off to a lower level. Socially, you might get a better table and service.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post

Any perceptions or benefits to this look for both social and business environments?
What are your colleagues wearing? If you're overdressing, you probably have something to sell. Tooth brushes, cars, insurance, ...credibility. Some people might view you as being a phony baloney.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Colleagues are mostly khaki and polo or slacks and dress shirt. It really varies. I'm an IT professional so some times I can be working at a retail place or in a business meeting at a brokerage firm. Obviously, I dress for any occasion; but I'm considering making a suit and tie a part of my regular work week routine.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Colleagues are mostly khaki and polo or slacks and dress shirt. It really varies. I'm an IT professional so some times I can be working at a retail place or in a business meeting at a brokerage firm. Obviously, I dress for any occasion; but I'm considering making a suit and tie a part of my regular work week routine.
Go for it. You should always have suits in your normal routine of clothes at work, if not the preferred option. Should you ever have the need to leave early or come in late (due to an interview), you won't have everyone asking, "so, are you dressed up for an interview?"

Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
On the one hand, they do say to dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

On the other hand, you don't want to look like a try-hard. And you DEFINITELY don't want to dress beyond your boss.

My advice would be to mirror your boss's wardrobe.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
What are your colleagues wearing? If you're overdressing, you probably have something to sell. Tooth brushes, cars, insurance, ...credibility. Some people might view you as being a phony baloney.
I was going to say this. There is such a thing as "too much." My husband had an employee like that once. He wore a suite every day even when, at most, his higher-ups wore a shirt and tie. It looked like he was trying too hard; like he had something to prove.

If the OP fits in with his colleagues, great.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM

boss is normally in slack, dress shirt and tie sans jacket. i rarely see my boss though as i work from home mostly or i'm in meetings at client sites or traveling. because of the nature of DC, there's lots of activity after hours at the bars and happy hours. it would mostly be a suit and tie when at client sites doing IT consulting work. i'm moving beyond the IT consultant look with khaki's and a polo or pens in my shirt pocket. i'm sort of preparing for the look of the next position i want to attain. i have observed that on initial client meetings it does effect client perception.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about all this "you'll look like you're trying to hard" since they already know you and your abilities.

And I don't blame you for not wanting to sport the khaki pants and polo look. My last job had that sort of dress code and the absolute last thing I wanted to do was go out directly from work with that look.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Since moving to the DC metro area I stepped up my personal appearance quite a bit. I made quite an investment in shoes and accessories. When I have business meetings I typically wear slacks and a collared dress shirt. I started wearing suits recently and I'm considering a suit and tie as a full-time look when appropriate. Obviously, for running errands and the weekends I'd be casual. My suit and tie look would mostly be for in the office, meetings and hanging out at after hours spots and dinners.

If you want to be a suit guy then be a suit guy. If it makes you feel better about yourself and how others perceive you that is great. Just be sure it fits very well and have it tailored if it doesn't. Just keep the end of your tie out of the shredder!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty