Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:31 PM

141 posts, read 426,242 times

Advertisements

From someone who is from MS I have to say that yes there are a lot of obese people in the state. Some are just lazy and don't eat healthy. We tend to fry things a lot and most food is cooked with fat. However in the city I am from there are many reasons people don't exercise. Our city was not built like places like NYC for example. You have to drive everywhere. There are not a lot of sidewalks or bike paths.

Now granted this is not an excuse since there are lots of gyms and exercise classes all over town. There aren't an abundance of parks for kids to play in. Not to mention 3/4's of the year it is too hot and muggy to do anything outside. We do love to eat in the south. I struggle with my weight everyday and I am trying to make better choices and move more.

Plus most schools have stopped having P.E. in schools. Fast food is on every street corner.

Poverty does make a difference though. Processed foods and junk foods are much cheaper. Most people that are obese find it easier to eat fast food than to cook. I am doing my best to cook more at home and buy fresh fruits and vegetables.

Like I said it is not an excuse, you can be healthy if you work at it. Most people just don't care or they get frustrated and give up.

If you are "lucky" enough to have a fast metabolism and are naturally thin, consider yourself blessed.

Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,696 times
I'm black, 5'2, 116 lbs and a size 4. I changed jobs almost a year ago and the daily comments, skinny jokes and flat out insults about my size from my male and female coworkers have finally subsided. I have been told that the comments are "compliments" because every woman wants to be my size. One day one of my slightly obese male coworkers called me skinny and I felt the tears spring to my eyes which is when I realized I had enough and that I wanted them to realize how ignorant and hurtful it is commenting on my size day in and day out and being the butt of everybody's joke. I called him fat ass and asked him how it made him feel. I then went on to tell him that I know that I am small and it's not a compliment being the butt of everybody's comments and jokes.

Finally, they've stopped.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Not true. I see black women who are shaped like Buffy every day.
Look up the Hottentott Venus. Its been documented that black women are shaped like that naturally.
I guess its an extreme pear shape...nothing wrong with that.
Plus,she says she actually works out. Not sure about eating healthy though.
Nicki minaj is another one.
I am black and I am not shaped like that. Nicky M has had work done on her rear. Why are white women so hell bent on discussing black women's physical traits? Dont you have your own body to work on?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 PM

31,005 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I'm not American, so that may be why my perceptions are a little different
Eh, thats probably key, but most people hear think American ideals are the world standard. In actuality African woman are pretty close the Chinese for being thinnest.

File:World map of Female Obesity, 2008.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-07-2012, 04:43 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I am black and I am not shaped like that. Nicky M has had work done on her rear. Why are white women so hell bent on discussing black women's physical traits? Dont you have your own body to work on?
B-b-but it was a black woman who started this thread! And a black woman who started the thread on hair texture and a black woman who started the thread on the Hooter's girl.

Are you suggesting only black women should be allowed to post on threads about black women? That's virtual segregation, you know.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
B-b-but it was a black woman who started this thread! And a black woman who started the thread on hair texture and a black woman who started the thread on the Hooter's girl.

Are you suggesting only black women should be allowed to post on threads about black women? That's virtual segregation, you know.
I am suggesting that there is something wrong with you if you spend all day posting tons and tons of posts on a thread about black women's physical looks if you are white. It would be very bizarre if I spent my whole day arguing about tanning booths and bulldogging people into submission about my opinion about which on is best. That topic has nothing to do with me, and the only reason I would get on board with it is because I am a pathetic sad sack who loves to jump in and take swings at people if I believe I am superior. I would also venture to guess that most of these arguing white women on this thread are fat, because I am smelling a strong whiff of fattitude on this thread. So there you have a further explanation about my post, you are welcome.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Something is wrong with that poster. I never did reveal my race or ethnicity on this thread.
What if I am black? I wonder what's her excuse then?

Btw,that same poster is the one who condemns me on the exercise and fitness forum for asking questions like"what's wrong with being big but healthy?"

Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No. It means that 60% of women in Miss. are healthy or fat.
OOp! I read that wrong.
It means 60% are within healthy range. That's actually not bad.
But
They really should have different ways of measuring obesity for different races.
Some people have bigger bones. Otherwise,diseases like Osteoporosis wouldn't occur at higher rates in Asian and some whites. For example,the Poles don't get osteoporosis as much,because they are known to have a bigger and denser bones.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
I find women of all shapes beautiful. Thin women have their nitch just as curvy women and plus size. Personally curves are aesthetically pleasing. It appears I come across just as many slim black beautys as often curvy black beautys.

Personally I do not feel non-white/asians are more accepted slim-however I know several white men whom prefer slim(mer) frames and non-whites that prefer women with prominent curves. Pregentically disposed,possibly??

OP enjoy your frame, just as many whom dislike it, you will find LOVE it!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
OOp! I read that wrong.
It means 60% are within healthy range. That's actually not bad.
But
They really should have different ways of measuring obesity for different races.
Some people have bigger bones. Otherwise,diseases like Osteoporosis wouldn't occur at higher rates in Asian and some whites. For example,the Poles don't get osteoporosis as much,because they are known to have a bigger and denser bones.
I wouldn't consider 60% good.

Obesity is measured by ratio of fat. A big-boned person can take on more fat than a small-boned person without being called obese. It is not based on weight or size of the individual. Thus, an Asian individual with small bones will be considered obese at a less weight and size than someone who has Queen Latifa's bone structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty