U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:57 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's not a "generational thing" and it does have to do with one's socioeconomic background.

Wealthy women are still reed thin. Always have been and always will be. I am not referencing ancient times but modern times. A trim gamine and compact figure in women is highly valued in the upscale white and Asian communities, and increasingly, but at a slower pace; in the AA community of means.

I am not speaking about teenagers, but about adults. Society people, the country club set and those with old money, have for at least the last 100 years valued a slender and trim figure on women.

The people I speak about do not care about Beyonce or the Kardashians.

Even back in the 59s and early 60s this split exited. Lower middle class and working class men seem to prefer voluptuous figures, from the "Pin Up" girls on calendars that graced the working class males garage, to the hip-hop culture of today men with a lower income and education go for big boods and buts. There is also the example of obesity, which is a problem in the middle to lower classes, and not so much in the upper classes.

There is some acceptance of heavy women, and even celebration of heavy women in lower class communities. But if you go to a chic designer boutique on LA's Rodeo Drive, NYs 5th Avenue, Palm Beach FL or any other haunt of the truly elite, you will be hard pressed to find any thing in a size 10. Size 8 might be pushing it.

There is an old adage that in still repeated today "A woman can never be too rich or too thin".

There is pressure on upper middle and upper class women to maintain a lithe and slender frame.
Hollywood and Hip Hop will never change that.

The upper class black community is beginning to incorporate these ideals.

I didn't know the wealthy didn't prefer Marilyn Monroe's weight and shape. Learn something new ever
Yday. I thought she was all the rage that men of all classes preferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Ha! On the thread "Your hair color and texture is wrong for your race." (a thread about black women's hair) second most prolific poster is a white woman who posted all day. But oh yes, because you are white you don't notice the white female propensity for being a know-it-all about topics that are NOYB.

And of course you don't like my attitude. I athe m black and therefore should do and say as you wish, and if I don't, there goes that pesky black attitude again!

So we get called racist for saying I think someone who wears fake hair and has multiple plastic surgeries seems fake but you can label all "white women" as know-it-alls? I didn't say one thing about black women and I'm no racist.

White women wear fake hair too and get WAY more crap for it. I have heard it called "stripper hair" when a white woman wears extensions.

I'm just stating what I think. I'm no authority and people should do what they want with themselves but my opinion is if you ARE going to wear completely fake hair you should probably veer away from plastic surgery to avoid the fake manufactured look.

yes, people will disagree with me and that's fine but as someone who lived in Miami: the plastic surgery capitol of US I think I have seen enough bad work to have my own opinion.

I'm sure most women who wear wigs or weaves or whatever don't have elective surgery but some people get caught up in the "fake" way of beautifying and rarely does it flatter.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 AM

110 posts, read 338,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Mississippi consistently ranks as the #1 state for obesity and it happens to have the highest % of African Americans of any state per capita. I checked the CDC site and it's especially women who are obese there, almost 40%.

I don't think it's all genetic. It's culturally more important for white and Asian women to be thin. Part of this is socioeconomic in nature. Lower class white women have similar obesity rates as blacks.
That's true. I had an Chinese ex who was constantly fat shamed by her mom. And she was skinny as a reed.

There is a lot more cultural acceptance with BBWs, whereas a fat Asian woman is basically ostracized, esp by the older generation.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,267,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
And more impoverished, too. There's a pretty clear inverse relationship between socioeconomics and BMIs.
still stereotyping to make yourself feel superior I see...lots of you love to try to put people into a box. you can't use a person's weight to determine their socioeconomic class

Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 AM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
still stereotyping to make yourself feel superior I see...lots of you love to try to put people into a box. you can't use a person's weight to determine their socioeconomic class

Give it a rest already. I must say it is refreshing to not hear your bantering on about racists and pitying yourself but how is what she said a stereotype?

There has been extensive research and news reports on the topic of lower-income people being more overweight since at least the early '90s because cheap food in this country is fatty and eating healthy costs more.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:42 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times
Weren't there studies don't that debunked the myth that healthier food is more expensive than unhealthy food?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:56 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Sometimes black women just can't win either way. Check out the controversy for this "out of shape" tennis player, Taylor Townsend:
Taylor Townsend: Teen Tennis Champ at Odds With USTA Over Weight - ABC News

OP, take up tennis. Your body type would be "ideal" according to the USTA.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Weren't there studies don't that debunked the myth that healthier food is more expensive than unhealthy food?

Healthy...unhealthy....calorie load still matters but people ignore the value of portion size when it comes to cheap food. Its still no excuse. Pasta is cheap and it won't make you gain unless you overeat it. You can get fat on healthy food too if you overeat it.

But back to OT...

Its only acceptable to very thin in white people land as long as you are not the thinnest in the room.
Then the claws come out from all the the white women.

I don't think excess weight looks good on small frames or pale skin. The larger your frame and darker you skin, the more put together you can look (not sloppy). Black people have better skin for avoiding cellulite unlike whites an asians. White people just get all lumpy usually.

I find there is less pressure to be thin in a black community no matter what your skin color is.
The only skinny black girls I ever saw that got the hostile negative treatment were the ones that were sinewy in the thin-ness and stuck up. I wear a size 0-2 now and even though I am white, my black friends tease me about it over dinners and cookouts telling me I need to eat more while they load up my plate saying I have room. Its not a mean thing it just feels like a motherly/family thing. Seems the general consensus around this neck of the woods is "thick" is around a size 8/10 which is usually a healthy size for the avg person. That is coming from ghetto to white collar mouths so take it for what its worth.

I think all men of every color just want someone who:
- isnt to this or that on the weight spectrum
- doesn't complain about every little thing
- knows how to cook and knows how to "cook"
- makes them feel special and listened to

Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM

11,019 posts, read 18,106,999 times
Quote:
It's not. In the Caucasian community slimness not thickness ia valued. Also, within the African American AND the white communities, higher class individuals tend to value slimmer and more firm shapes.

I tend to see it more as a class issue than a race issue.

Get yourself around some well paid men - of any race - and you will be appreciated.

Being slim is a PLUS in the upscale community. AA men do seem to regard a voluptuous butt as a positive thing where as white men do not. White men seem more into breasts.

Either way, being slim is the acceptable body for well educated, upscale women.

The lower classes of ANY race seem to like big women.

Class equals their paycheck? What a trainwreck of a statement. I think you are fooling yourself if you think a guys financial status directs him to prefer a certain body style.

For the record I'm a white guy who prefers very curvy women.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM

11,019 posts, read 18,106,999 times
Quote:

Either way, being slim is the acceptable body for well educated, upscale women.

The lower classes of ANY race seem to like big women.

So if a woman has big boobs and a hour glass shape and she is educated then what? Does her sexiness cancel out that? I wager that if you have a Kim Kardashian type looking girl and a thin fashion model type both at a party and they are both refined educated women the Kardashian type woman will have more attention from the men no matter how upscale the party is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty