U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 08:12 AM

275 posts, read 1,052,644 times

Advertisements

I am very ignorant about the different types (shape and material) of hangers. So I would like to know if there are some good sources for me to learn some basics about the purpose of each type of hanger?

For example, I have taken pictures of five different shapes of hangers. I wonder what their purposes are from left to right respectively? Thanks!

Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:53 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
Starting from the furthest.....The white one comes from a store...probably had a 2-piece outfit on it....pants or skirt on bottom, and the top on the top part!
The white one with clips can hold a skirt or pants. The next 2 black ones are for shirts...those indentations will keep straps from slipping off.
The big black one would be best for a jacket or coat or suit coat...keeps the shoulders nice.

That said...there really are no "rules"...use them however you like!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times
The first looks like it's from a children's clothing store, and it held a whole outfit. I would throw that out unless I had a little girl and it fit her dresses. It's pretty flimsy, and will probably break (into nice sharp pieces).

The second white one with the clips is for pants or a skirt. It has that extra hook in the middle, so you can "stack" several of those hangers together and save closet bar space (I hang three skirts that way, using 3 of those hangers.) I used to have these in the plastic shown, but got all wood ones, with chrome clips, a couple years back, which are stronger. I used to have those plastic clips pop off all the time!

The next two black ones are similar, just normal shirt hangers from Target or Walmart or whatever. they are from a set similar to the white clippy one. They could also hold pants if you hang them in half over the bar. They each have a different kind of hook to hold straps, in case you have a dress or top that has little straps instead of sleeves. The second one is slightly better quality than the first one--the hooks on the first one will sometimes break off--and the second one can accomodate thinner or thicker straps without squishing them.

The last one is for a suit or jacket, and it's likely from a store, and came with the suit or jacket. If it never had a bar across the bottom, then it's for a jacket or coat. If it used to have a bar across the bottom and it fell off, then it was for a men's suit. I use these for my coats in my entry closet. They are strong as hell, and can hold very heavy winter coats.

I am freakishly into organizing, especially closet organizing, so I've done my research!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:11 PM

275 posts, read 1,052,644 times
No, no, you are not freakishly. Nice research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The first looks like it's from a children's clothing store, and it held a whole outfit. I would throw that out unless I had a little girl and it fit her dresses. It's pretty flimsy, and will probably break (into nice sharp pieces).

The second white one with the clips is for pants or a skirt. It has that extra hook in the middle, so you can "stack" several of those hangers together and save closet bar space (I hang three skirts that way, using 3 of those hangers.) I used to have these in the plastic shown, but got all wood ones, with chrome clips, a couple years back, which are stronger. I used to have those plastic clips pop off all the time!

The next two black ones are similar, just normal shirt hangers from Target or Walmart or whatever. they are from a set similar to the white clippy one. They could also hold pants if you hang them in half over the bar. They each have a different kind of hook to hold straps, in case you have a dress or top that has little straps instead of sleeves. The second one is slightly better quality than the first one--the hooks on the first one will sometimes break off--and the second one can accomodate thinner or thicker straps without squishing them.

The last one is for a suit or jacket, and it's likely from a store, and came with the suit or jacket. If it never had a bar across the bottom, then it's for a jacket or coat. If it used to have a bar across the bottom and it fell off, then it was for a men's suit. I use these for my coats in my entry closet. They are strong as hell, and can hold very heavy winter coats.

I am freakishly into organizing, especially closet organizing, so I've done my research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty