U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 AM
 
275 posts, read 1,052,914 times
Reputation: 72

Advertisements

I have a new shirt worn just for two mornings for an interview two years ago, and forgot it for quite a while. When I saw it again, there had been some horizontal yellow strikes on it. I wonder if there are something that can help me to remove it by myself? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Reputation: 45139
That's what TV commercials used to refer as "ring around the collar." Rub laundry detergent on it and wash. Are you on your own for the first time, because it sounds like you need to call either your mom or Martha: Clothes Washing - Martha Stewart Home & Garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 AM
 
275 posts, read 1,052,914 times
Reputation: 72
Thanks! Yes, I am learning to be on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's what TV commercials used to refer as "ring around the collar." Rub laundry detergent on it and wash. Are you on your own for the first time, because it sounds like you need to call either your mom or Martha: Clothes Washing - Martha Stewart Home & Garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM
 
11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Reputation: 18129
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's what TV commercials used to refer as "ring around the collar." Rub laundry detergent on it and wash. Are you on your own for the first time, because it sounds like you need to call either your mom or Martha: Clothes Washing - Martha Stewart Home & Garden
I'd go one step further -- I'd wet the collar thoroughly, use dishwashing liquid (not dishwasher detergent -- the hand washing stuff) apply it on the collar, and using an old soft toothbrush scrub it well (and check your cuffs, too -- you might have rings there) and let it sit for an hour for the detergent to break down the grease before laundering.

Because you've left it for two years, it's had time to really settle in -- you might need to go hard core on it right off the bat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM
 
275 posts, read 1,052,914 times
Reputation: 72
Thanks!

By "dishwashing liquid", do you mean those used for washing dishes?

By "dishwasher detergent", do you mean those used for washing hand in kitchen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'd go one step further -- I'd wet the collar thoroughly, use dishwashing liquid (not dishwasher detergent -- the hand washing stuff) apply it on the collar, and using an old soft toothbrush scrub it well (and check your cuffs, too -- you might have rings there) and let it sit for an hour for the detergent to break down the grease before laundering.

Because you've left it for two years, it's had time to really settle in -- you might need to go hard core on it right off the bat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
Reputation: 14678
I posted to the last person who asked this question - you get yellow marks on clothing from sun, heat, smoke, etc. on white clothing that hasn't been worn in awhle but hanging in a closet - soak in HOT water w/Oxyclean, it'll come right out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 PM
 
Location: in your dreams
10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
Reputation: 15317
Scissors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
 
275 posts, read 1,052,914 times
Reputation: 72
What do you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Scissors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM
 
11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Reputation: 18129
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Thanks!

By "dishwashing liquid", do you mean those used for washing dishes?

By "dishwasher detergent", do you mean those used for washing hand in kitchen?
Dishwashing liquid is the stuff you use to hand wash dishes. Dishwasher detergent is the stuff you put into the dishwasher machine to wash the dishes -- it comes on both liquid and powder form. You should use the dishwashing liquid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 22,618,890 times
Reputation: 10524
Nahhhh, forget the dishwashing liquid. That's designed for dishes. You need something designed for clothes.

Get a stain remover stick at the grocery store in the laundry detergent section and rub it in, then wash normally following directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top