U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,934,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Are clothes washed and dryed before being ironed?
Yes, wash then dry, then iron the items that are wrinkled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 AM

275 posts, read 1,058,017 times
I like ironing also!

I was wondering why a towel or sheet (you mean bedding sheet?) can be used to cover other surfaces before ironing clothes on it? Is it because a towel or sheet (100% cotton) can be ironed with the highest temperature a iron can offer, without being damaged?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
It won't hurt "no iron" clothes if you iron them.

As far as ironing on other surfaces, take care not to burn them...use a towel and sheet....should be ok...but the SHAPE of the ironing board is what makes ironing easier!

I like ironing, too!

Old 09-03-2012, 02:40 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,997,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
I like ironing also!

I was wondering why a towel or sheet (you mean bedding sheet?) can be used to cover other surfaces before ironing clothes on it? Is it because a towel or sheet (100% cotton) can be ironed with the highest temperature a iron can offer, without being damaged?

Thanks!
I use an old, ripped piece of clean cotton to place on top of more delicate clothing or wool (If it EVER needs ironing) because I would rather burn the top cloth than my good clothing.

I have also ironed by placing clothes directly on my bed, which works great for slacks.
If you want to iron a crease down the middle of jeans, do it through a cloth. If the cloth is slightly damp or if the clothing is, the crease will last longer.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,857,847 times
I can't count the number of times I've ironed on the floor, kitchen or bathroom counter, bed, desk, etc. Just make sure the surface area you are ironing on is protected from the heat and steam. And as far as ironing in general, those hand held steamers are great for wrinkle removing and to make a garment look fresh but don't count on them to set a pleat or for 100% cotton. I hate to iron but will do so if I absolutely have to. I'm old enough to remember Ironing Day and a coke bottle with a stopper punched with little holes for a ritual called "sprinkling". You rolled the damp garment up and put it in the fridge till you could get to it. Ahhh those were the good ole days---NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty