Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,779,701 times

Advertisements

As far as the same sex celebrities who you most admire for their physical appearance, not talent, do you tend to prefer those who have similar features to you or very different?

If you have dark hair and complexion, do you prefer fairer beauties?
If you're petite, do you admire the more robust?
If you're thin and straight, do you idolize the thick and curvy?

It's probably a mixture, but I've found that a good many of the celebrities I most admire for their looks have pale, pink undertones with blonde hair and striking eyes (usually green) compared to my pale beige brunette self. On the other hand, I do prefer body types more similar to my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I don't know if there's any male celebrities I admire for their looks. Not so much because I'm afraid it will make me seem gay, or anything like that, but celebrities in general, even female ones, don't interest me enough purely by looks. In other words, I usually pay attention to their talent, personality, interesting life, whatever. Now of course I can appreciate an attractive male or female celeb, but yeah..I guess that didn't answer your question, but if I did, no I don't think my physical appearance would have any bearing on it.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Weird, I never really thought about it, but over my lifetime, the celebrities I've always thought were the prettiest were fair-skinned blondes, and that's what I am (though I'm nowhere near as pretty as they are/were). It was never a conscious choice, but it does seem I picked women with my coloring.

Olden days:
Veronica Lake
Grace Kelly

My childhood:
Cheryl Ladd
Michelle Phillips (of the Mamas and Papas)

My teens to early adulthood:
Sharon Stone
Heather Locklear
Daryl Hannah

Adulthood:
Naomi Watts
Kirsten Dunst
Gwyneth Paltrow

Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't know if there's any male celebrities I admire for their looks. Not so much because I'm afraid it will make me seem gay, or anything like that, but celebrities in general, even female ones, don't interest me enough purely by looks. In other words, I usually pay attention to their talent, personality, interesting life, whatever. Now of course I can appreciate an attractive male or female celeb, but yeah..I guess that didn't answer your question, but if I did, no I don't think my physical appearance would have any bearing on it.
I tend to like celebs more if they seem like people I would genuinely like in real life.

I might decide someone is attractive, but it doesn't mean I'll like them.

For example, celebs that are closer to my body type are Kim Kardashian, Beyonce and Serena Williams. The only person I like on that list is Serena Williams.

I really like Eva Mendes, Charlize Theron, and Jessica Biel, but they look nothing like me, body type or otherwise.

I do try to seek out celebs that look more like me to follow, because people who look like me are largely invisible in Hollywood.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Interesting...most of my favoirte female celebs resemble me. I guess I start noticing them when I'm looking for new hair/make up ideas for women that sort of resemble me and then I end up checking out some of their work be it TV shows, interviews.

My favorites are Jessica Alba, Sofia Vergera, Eva Mendes, Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton, and Shakira.
Racially ambiguous women somewhere on the Spanish or Russian level of exoticness who have highlighting and tanning tendencies.

When I was tan people used to tell me I looked like Nicole Richie almost everyday.

In real life we supposedly gravitate to and tend to like people who resemble us so it does make sense that we do the same with celebrities.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
I couldn't think of any specific celebs I really follow so I asked my husband and he said Gisele Bundchen is probably the one I talk about the most when it comes to liking their looks. Other than being "tall," (unfortunately for me) that's where the similarities end.

I think Angelina Jolie is stunning as well. I can't explain it, but I love the way she carries herself.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,093 times
For the most part, yes they look somewhat like me. I love Iman and Liya Kebede (Ethiopian model) and I'm Black and twiggy. On the flip-side, my favorite singer is Bjork and we are completely different from another other.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,150,657 times
Yeah, but it's mixed. Some of the really smart ones look or act much different from me.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 PM

506 posts, read 1,955,942 times
This is a really interesting question. I'm not huge on celebrities and am pretty bad at knowing who is who. I live in NYC and work in an apparently heavily celebrity populated area, but never see or notice any at all (and don't care either way), but whenever I'm with people, they point out celebrities left, right, and center-- I'm just oblivious to it.

But when I think about the same sex celebs I have "soft spots" (for lack of a better word) for, they do resemble me in some way. One that comes to mind is Katie Holmes. Since her Dawson's Creek days, I've been told on numerous times by many different people (from strangers to close friends) that I look like her. I've always liked her too. Other celebrities that come to mind is Alicia Keys, Jessica Biel, Eva Mendez, Jessica Alba, Kiera Knightly, etc. I don't particularly like blonde celebrities (not intentionally at all, just now that I think of it).

Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
I look like a fat version of Drew Barrymore.
Mixed with some Rosie O'donnel during her show.
My attitude is kind of like Chelsey Adler mixed with Joan Rivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty