U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 AM

26,897 posts, read 28,215,907 times

Advertisements

What we need is a store that makes on trend pieces that last longer. But honestly ON cardigans hold up well enough for the price. I get them in seasonal colors. For my staple black, grey, and camel cardis I try I upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,451,834 times
You can get Old Navy casual tops and sweaters for as little as $3. I don't care if a nicer sweater lasts 3 times as long unless it's only $10.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM

27,679 posts, read 17,722,530 times
I have a tendency to buy trendy pieces from lower end stores - they only need to last a few years.

For basics, and stuff I know I will wear all the time, I go for higher end quality.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,267,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I have some Old Navy sweaters that I like, such as an apple green pullover with shawl collar I got a couple years ago. It's a little pilly on the upper arms but it has retained its shape, and I love the color. Old Navy carries sweaters in talls, which is great for me and my long arms. I have a few thinner cardigans, and they are hit or miss. The medium-weight, cable-knit stuff holds up better IME. I have a couple cardies in camel and winter white that still look fine. The thinner stuff tends to stretch, warp, or get little holes after a while.

For about the same price, I would look at Lands End sweaters as well. Don't get me wrong, Old Navy has some decent buys and tends to carry trendier styles and colors. Lands End has cashmere stuff for more than $100, and they have cotton-blend stuff in the $30s. That's also where I would look for a winter coat if you need one. Sign up for emails, and wait for a sale. Every now and then you'll get a coupon for 30% or 40% off, and you can score a really good down coat for $100 or so. They are made well and guaranteed forever. (All their stuff is. If your sweater starts falling apart, take it back and they will replace it. Old Navy won't.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Here's a comparison:

$25 cardigan from ON:
Women's Button-Front Stretch Cardis | Old Navy

$35 cardigan from LE:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage...92808-_-411292

Thanks for all of the info! Lands End does have some great stuff....I love the insulated pea coat but I can't decide between black or camel. I will probably never decide

Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 AM

41,120 posts, read 32,811,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Thanks for all of the info! Lands End does have some great stuff....I love the insulated pea coat but I can't decide between black or camel. I will probably never decide
Get both - then the only decision you have to make is which one to wear on which day!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 AM

300 posts, read 608,138 times
I agree with Lands End stuff. It is conservative (classic) and wears exceedingly well. I have never had a T-shirt or pants shrink or fade noticeably, their fleece doesn't pill, and coats wear very well. Be sure and shop their sales - they seem to have one every week. I have a collection of their standard pima cotton cardigans that are wonderful!

I also like Alfani & JM Collections @ Macys or the Moderate Sports wear dept. @ Von Maur. The clothes are styled for the older, mature, confidently plump, senior warrior - still don't know how to describe myself LOL! Reasonably priced, fit & wear/travel very well. IMPORTANT - never wear them as a complete outfit! Pair with denim, leather/suede, or very hip accessories to neutralize any "old lady" out of them. You can go from "grandma" to "Grand" with a great handbag or pair of shoes! My rule is to never wear two of their pieces together in one outfit.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,294,098 times
The Salvation Army and Goodwill: Inside the places your clothes go when you donate them. - Slate Magazine

Slate had a great article (above) about the "afterlife of cheap clothing" that I found realy ineresting. And food for thought - why are so many on here willing to accept this wear and toss mentality when it comes to clothing - I don't buy other a lamp or a toaster with the idea that it will last a few seasons?

The environmental cost of "cheap clothing" is staggering.

I like Wool Overs Knitwear | Men's & Women's Jumpers, Cardigans, Sweaters | Wool Overs for cardigans. I'm a cardigan/sweater set lover - too bad it doens't get cold enough to wear them often in SoCal.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,451,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
The Salvation Army and Goodwill: Inside the places your clothes go when you donate them. - Slate Magazine

Slate had a great article (above) about the "afterlife of cheap clothing" that I found realy ineresting. And food for thought - why are so many on here willing to accept this wear and toss mentality when it comes to clothing - I don't buy other a lamp or a toaster with the idea that it will last a few seasons?

The environmental cost of "cheap clothing" is staggering.

I like Wool Overs Knitwear | Men's & Women's Jumpers, Cardigans, Sweaters | Wool Overs for cardigans. I'm a cardigan/sweater set lover - too bad it doens't get cold enough to wear them often in SoCal.
Fashions change, personal preferences change, and bodies change and people don't want to spend a fortune every few months or years to accommodate these changes. It is an admittedly lazy mentality, but that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,424,078 times
I've had good luck with Macy's, Dillards, and Nordstrom Rack.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,526,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I've had good luck with Macy's, Dillards, and Nordstrom Rack.
Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty