U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 AM

11,079 posts, read 9,009,200 times

Advertisements

In Los Angeles area, you can find really nice and originally expensive clothes at many thrift stores. Many people here are part of the disposable society and wear things once and bring them to the thrift stores. The trick is getting the stuff somehow before the employees get ahold of it. My wife recently found two pairs of jeans that are sold for over $100 each. She got the two pairs for a total of $12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 01:55 PM

2,616 posts, read 1,119,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I hadn't been there in a long time. I ended up realizing 90% of the clothing isn't cut for busty women so I probably won't spend much time there. I also found that many of the fabrics were crappy.

90% of ALL clothing is not cut for busty women!

Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 PM

18,895 posts, read 12,506,474 times
If clothes are inexpensive, they probably will not be good quality. How could they be? Better fabrics and higher quality workmanship are costly. You pay for that, and for the skilled labor to construct them.

A possibilityt is to buy second hand at consignment stores, or thrifts. You can pick up better quality stuff that has been very lightly worn for much less than new.

I've bought Kohl's clothing and I don't think most of it is good quality. A problem I've had with their garments is sizing variations within a line. The peach tee might not fit like the black tee, for instance. (Probably made by different vendors.) I bought a well-enough made pair of Chaps pants last year, and the fabric is unpleasant to wear. I've also bought Columbia fleece from them that has worn well, although I don't believe the garments are up to the usual standards of Columbia.

If you want good quality, you will have to pay for it. But there are places where costs are kept moderate, and quality is good. Catalog retailers use economy of scale to produce better quality clothing at reasonable prices, for instance. I've gotten hold of some White Stag tees at the GW that are surprisingly decent. (Penneys I think?) But if you want to wear your stuff for a couple or three years, you will have to pay more, or find amazing sales at the end of the season.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 466 times
Interesting discussion on women clothing ! I simply prefer to order my clothes from Walmart and i am reliable with that.
Thanks.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 PM

18,028 posts, read 17,175,920 times
Thrift stores or places like ebay for gently used clothing in good brands. I don't know if anyone has already mentioned Soft Surroundings but that's a nicely made brand with pretty colors and styles. It's expensive but not too bad second hand.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 836,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
I'm another Goodwill enthusiast! Picked up "the bible" last week (Vogue Sept./Fall issue) - then hit a few local Goodwill's a few days later. Scored a tweed Chanel-look-alike jacket, simple black leather vest, leopard pumps, and a beautiful jewel-toned floral Echo scarf. I can go weeks w/o finding anything, then score big in one afternoon. It's the "thrill of the hunt" with ridulous prices! My tweed Dana Buchman jacket cost $3.99.

I've been finding Dana B at Kohl's..really like her stuff.
Good style for my age. And always on sale when I shop.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:03 PM

9,462 posts, read 15,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thrift stores or places like ebay for gently used clothing in good brands. I don't know if anyone has already mentioned Soft Surroundings but that's a nicely made brand with pretty colors and styles. It's expensive but not too bad second hand.
I second Ebay. You need to know your brands, sizes, and going prices. I've picked up a lot of nice items, new or barely used, for a song! Also, Ebay is great for things like purses, shoes (new only!), socks, jewelry---I've got a ton of MK jewelry for next to nothing!

Old 05-24-2017, 11:49 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,969,759 times
I'm seriously appalled that nobody has mentioned going to a local seamstress or tailor. Choose your fabric, style and have it fitted to you, not some mythical standard size. Or, better yet, learn to sew yourself. Make something well in a classic style and you'll be using it for decades, not seasons. I wore a dress yesterday that was made in '82. Haven't a clue how much has been saved by not having to buy as many new clothes over the years but probably a significant amount. Buy quality and you only have to buy it once. Works for clothes, house wares, furniture, etc.

My friend in high school used to have her boots made, it was less expensive to have custom boots made once every ten years than it was for her to have new ones every year. They looked better than anyone else's and if they got worn, the cobbler could fix them up like new again. They were about two times the cost of new boots so they weren't even all that expensive.

We have a local leather worker who makes belts (some with secret zipper pockets), cell phone holders, knife holders, purses, saddles, etc. Not sure if he could make boots, though. His stuff doesn't wear out and looks good.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:08 PM

212 posts, read 86,239 times
For new clothing I've always found the clothing at H&M to be (usually) inexpensive and good quality. I second what people here said about Ebay and thrift stores. I've gotten designer clothing at thrift stores. The joke is, the thrift stores near me aren't that cheap (I hear about people getting shirts for $1...not here). We have days where everything is 50% off so I wait for that.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:51 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
I simply don't have the patience for the hunt required at thrift stores. My MIL lives by the challenge of finding hidden treasures, and I get that, but the minute I became parent to a toddler, the luxury of combing through racks went out the window. Shopping has to be able to be done boom, in, boom, out, done. Time is at a premium when you have little ones. Everything is a slim window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty