U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:25 PM

4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
I still really like JC Penney, although it seems like I am one of the few!
I like them because they actually sell tall size tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
90% of ALL clothing is not cut for busty women!
Same thing for tall women. Yeah, you have some tall sizes here and there for jeans, but everything else is more difficult. Same applies to TJ Maxx and any of those stores.

I have found the thrift stores by me to be terrible. Really, they are AWFUL. I remember I went to visit a friend once and we took a trip to the Salvation Army in her area and I was blown away---it was huge, clean and had so many nice things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,326,622 times
Seriously the price you are paying for Old Navy clothes, does it really matter if it doesn't last past one season.

for the price of one quality piece that will last you 5 years.. you can probably buy 5 outfits each year from cheap place.. change it up a bit

Old 05-25-2017, 02:29 PM

134 posts, read 121,200 times
Old Navy clothing is terrible, I don't even know how you're getting a season out of it.

Another vote from me for Marshalls but obviously you have to be choosy because of the variety. Along the same lines, stores like Kohl's are pretty good, but the quality can vary by department. I love Kohl's nightwear/lingerie but I don't see the same quality and value otherwise.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:09 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Seriously the price you are paying for Old Navy clothes, does it really matter if it doesn't last past one season.

for the price of one quality piece that will last you 5 years.. you can probably buy 5 outfits each year from cheap place.. change it up a bit

^^^^^^^^^

Who wants clothes that last for years, anyways? Tastes, styles change and we gain/lose weight so sizes change, anyways, who wants to walk around wearing "gently faded" clothes all the time?

Old 05-26-2017, 06:51 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,054,470 times
I can't understand such thinking. It's one thing to buy a cheap piece or two that is "the look" that year. I'm not spending money on clothes that are basically throw-aways after a season (or even just a few wearings) - don't you folks add up what you are spending on disposable clothing?

Old 05-28-2017, 06:50 PM

183 posts, read 62,191 times
Bealls, if you have one in your area. I Love Bealls, their brands fit well and last forever.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:47 AM

798 posts, read 376,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I can't understand such thinking. It's one thing to buy a cheap piece or two that is "the look" that year. I'm not spending money on clothes that are basically throw-aways after a season (or even just a few wearings) - don't you folks add up what you are spending on disposable clothing?
Used to feel that way - we'd buy classics, good quality that would last forever and be timeless. Well guess what? One day you find that you have a house full of classic, good quality clothes - boring perhaps but timeless - that no longer fit you. LOL. Telling you - maybe if you're in your twenties you have a while to go but most certainly by the time you hit 40 - you will be changing sizes - a couple times. And the thing is - when you start to age - you can not wear the cute, fun, trendy stuff anymore. You just look ridiculous - male or female - you can not get away with it.
In hindsight - unless you can afford a $51,000 Dolce & Gabbana coat - my recommendation is buy the cheap, fun, trendy clothes - and wear all the crazy fashions while you are young enough to pull it off. The next stage in life - you can go for the classics - but even then - I wouldn't spend ALOT for them unless money is no object - because I guarantee - you will gain (or maybe lose) weight and have a wardrobe full of clothes that don't fit - So I say - enjoy that Old Navy or Rainbow or Thrift store or whatever shopping spree.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:11 PM

212 posts, read 86,126 times
I'll be honest, you either find thrift store shopping fun or you don't. I don't have the patience to do it regularly but once in awhile, I have fun going rack to rack.

I know most people like Ross/Burlington Coat Factory/Marshall's/TJ Max, but I hate those stores. I find it a similar experience to looking through a thrift store.

I'm also not someone who follows trends. You won't find me wearing those stupid ankle boots, thong bikinis (you should thank me for that), or crop tops (thank me for that too).

I guess that's what separates someone trendy who likes keeping current and everyone else. I don't think I dress poorly but I don't follow trends. I like to think I have clothes that are timeless.

I see the Old Navy hate on here! I've have mixed experiences. I get a lot of plain staples there- tank tops mainly. I've gotten cute dresses there that honestly, are priced reasonably but yeah they don't last too long. I also buy little girl's size xl underwear when they are having a 50% off sale on it. I always wanted a day of the week underwear set but have never found it in adult sizes. I figured the one at Old Navy meant for fat little girls would fit and it did lol. I also bought a little girl's set with hearts all over it and ice cream cones.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:14 PM

2,787 posts, read 1,523,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Used to feel that way - we'd buy classics, good quality that would last forever and be timeless. Well guess what? One day you find that you have a house full of classic, good quality clothes - boring perhaps but timeless - that no longer fit you. LOL. Telling you - maybe if you're in your twenties you have a while to go but most certainly by the time you hit 40 - you will be changing sizes - a couple times. And the thing is - when you start to age - you can not wear the cute, fun, trendy stuff anymore. You just look ridiculous - male or female - you can not get away with it.
In hindsight - unless you can afford a $51,000 Dolce & Gabbana coat - my recommendation is buy the cheap, fun, trendy clothes - and wear all the crazy fashions while you are young enough to pull it off. The next stage in life - you can go for the classics - but even then - I wouldn't spend ALOT for them unless money is no object - because I guarantee - you will gain (or maybe lose) weight and have a wardrobe full of clothes that don't fit - So I say - enjoy that Old Navy or Rainbow or Thrift store or whatever shopping spree.
I agree with the general argument but not Old Navy. Mostly because it never fits me right. I like Gap better and it costs a bit more and I have several pieces from there which I wear again and again because I love the color, the fit, and even how it has aged. But I also have some that have formed mysterious holes in them that I had to throw away.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:24 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,054,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Well.... I'm over 40, LOL - my size hasn't changed in 40 yrs. (well... given the "new sizing" where what used to be a 3 is a 0 now (or it's too big at 0....) it has but... I do agree that you can't wear some of the styles that you wore when you were younger w/o looking silly. I'm still going to stick w/regular clothes w/a couple trendy pieces thrown in. I was comment to someone who basically said buy all new every couple months when the cheap crap falls apart! (NOT in my budget at all!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty