U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 04:24 PM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I agree with the general argument but not Old Navy. Mostly because it never fits me right. I like Gap better and it costs a bit more and I have several pieces from there which I wear again and again because I love the color, the fit, and even how it has aged. But I also have some that have formed mysterious holes in them that I had to throw away.

Bought 3 Gap t-shirts this month and one already has a small whole in it. It wasn't even washed yet. What is up with clothes these days? Buttons falling off after a few wears (not cheapies either), zippers breaking. Apparently good quality clothes are becoming harder & harder to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 04:42 PM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Bought 3 Gap t-shirts this month and one already has a small whole in it. It wasn't even washed yet. What is up with clothes these days? Buttons falling off after a few wears (not cheapies either), zippers breaking. Apparently good quality clothes are becoming harder & harder to find.
Most if it is made in China so there isn't much quality control. Most of today's clothing is poor quality.

My dh buys things at our L.L. Bean outlet and they fall apart. Made in China. But he takes them back to Bean's and they tell him to go pick out something else--for free. They have explained that there just isn't much they can do about their made in China junk except try to send people over there to find better manufacturers. L.L. Bean's original boots are still made in USA but that's about it. Guaranteed for life.

Gap and Old Navy are the same company but I think Gap tends to be a little better quality, not so much better that it's worth the much higher price, imo.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:43 PM

343 posts, read 312,847 times
Quote:
You still can find nice quality clothes but these days you have to pay hundreds and thousands. For the rest of us everyday people - overpriced cheap crap. I do shop high end (what is on sale) but it is not easy and you have to look hard because even expensive clothes can be made from polyester and not from natural fibers like silk. I live in the US for 17 years and saw how the quality went downhill. In 2000-2005 I had no problem finding nice quality for reasonable price. Not anymore.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:02 PM

34,566 posts, read 42,724,437 times
I don't know if I responded earlier, but I have had a problem with pinholes forming in several tops lately. I buy quite a few tops at Marshalls or Tj Maxx, so I will be a lot more vigilant in the future.

I just had a dog jump on me, causing me to spill a bunch of red wine on a favorite top. Darn. It's a Lands End. I can't get the stain out.

I have no problem buying some cheap clothing if it fits. The more expensive things tend to hold up year after year.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:22 PM

2,787 posts, read 1,523,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most if it is made in China so there isn't much quality control. Most of today's clothing is poor quality.

My dh buys things at our L.L. Bean outlet and they fall apart. Made in China. But he takes them back to Bean's and they tell him to go pick out something else--for free. They have explained that there just isn't much they can do about their made in China junk except try to send people over there to find better manufacturers. L.L. Bean's original boots are still made in USA but that's about it. Guaranteed for life.

Gap and Old Navy are the same company but I think Gap tends to be a little better quality, not so much better that it's worth the much higher price, imo.
I think the factory in China makes stuff the company, like Gap, orders. I am sure if Gap, Orr LL Bean, tells them they want better quality they will get it. But why? They make more profit this way.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 AM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't know if I responded earlier, but I have had a problem with pinholes forming in several tops lately. I buy quite a few tops at Marshalls or Tj Maxx, so I will be a lot more vigilant in the future.

I just had a dog jump on me, causing me to spill a bunch of red wine on a favorite top. Darn. It's a Lands End. I can't get the stain out.

I have no problem buying some cheap clothing if it fits. The more expensive things tend to hold up year after year.
Do you love the top enough to dye it the color of the wine?

Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Quote:
I'd love to buy higher quality clothing where the button stay attached for longer than a week. I am still looking. They don't seem to exist. It is like a unicorn.

My style hasn't changed a ton from age 25 to now I am in my late 30s. My size and shape have changed, but not what I like. I want to invest in some "classics" or at least my classics. But I haven't found anything investment worthy.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:49 PM

2,787 posts, read 1,523,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd love to buy higher quality clothing where the button stay attached for longer than a week. I am still looking. They don't seem to exist. It is like a unicorn.

My style hasn't changed a ton from age 25 to now I am in my late 30s. My size and shape have changed, but not what I like. I want to invest in some "classics" or at least my classics. But I haven't found anything investment worthy.
Talbot clothes are still very good quality. but they can be a bit conservative. if they are too boxy i alter them here and there myself and it fits better.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:55 PM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Talbot clothes are still very good quality. but they can be a bit conservative. if they are too boxy i alter them here and there myself and it fits better.
Yes,Talbots has always been well made and somehow they've managed to maintain pretty good quality.

Their clothing can be boring though. Every once in a while they surprise me by having something a little bit more different and interesting.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:59 AM

33 posts, read 13,621 times
To be honest, here in Australia, there aren't a lot of stores that offer like really cheap clothing. However, if you do wait on for a sale, you will score an awesome deal. And also, since the clothes you'll be buying used to cost quite a lot more than what you got it for, you can expect the quality to be really good. One of the brands I always look out for is Sundays The Label because they have great clothes and even more amazing discounts.

I guess it just goes to show that you really get what you pay for in the end. If you want t-shirts, shorts, and yoga pants, no need to shell out hundreds of dollars. But if you want pieces that you will use for work or go out in general, there's no harm in investing in stylish, high-quality clothing that will last for a long time.

Brands like Forever 21 and H&M, you can get really affordable clothing, but they're sure to wear out pretty quickly. But has anyone here have any opinion on Uniqlo? I quite like it. I only ever buy simple shirts but it's Japan-made so I trust it.

Last edited by HaveADrink; 06-02-2017 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: typographical error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty