Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I saw this, and found it interesting. Reminded me of a regular here on the boards. So what do you guys think?

Black Skin, Orange Shorts: A Hooters Girl Narrative - News & Views - EBONY

Interesting comments about hair texture and body shape in the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Those orange shorts are redonkulous. They seem to be designed for maximum cameltoe action.

I can definitely understand the gripe of being required to relax your hair. It would be like telling a brunette to keep her hair bleached because she has to be blonde to work there. But with the encouragement to get fake nails and breast implants, I guess it comes with the territory. The Playboy bunnies went through the same thing. You have to meet their ideals of glamor in order to work there. Unfortunately, apparently natural black hair isn't glamorous at Hooters.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
I agree with julia and like to add 'natural black hair' isn't considered glamorous in mostly any setting especially in America. It's looked at as 'ugly' and 'nappy,' not 'natural.'

Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
That was an interesting article. One thing it didn't address was the thing that the regular mentioned above seems most interested in, the range of skin tones and whether the lighter toned African American women were more successful.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That was an interesting article. One thing it didn't address was the thing that the regular mentioned above seems most interested in, the range of skin tones and whether the lighter toned African American women were more successful.
Yeah, there was a quick mention along the lines of "skin tone" didn't seem to be relevant to success. But I wonder how true that was.

Quote:
LeAngela Davis was the first African-American woman to be crowned Miss Hooters International in 2010. The competition takes place each year and showcases the winners of each state’s local Hooters swimsuit contests. Does the crowning of Davis mean that African-American women are capable of being the "ideal" Hooters Girl? Through my experiences, a Black woman’s skin tone does not inhibit her ability to move up the ranks at Hooters.
But I do wonder how many tones were represented in her experience. Depending on where you live, I know people my tone or darker are pretty rare....

Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
I was a H girl for 3.5 years. I worked at 3 different locations. I never worked at a primarily black Hooters. I'm guess the writer of the article worked in Atlanta.

H basically shaped my identity and how I saw myself. It made me more outgoing, it taught me how to do more hair and makeup, it taught me how to deal with catty women, etc. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Yes, trainers told girls they had to straighten their hair. Actually heard a corporate trainer from the South tell a girl, "You can't be havin' that fro up in in here!" in a heavy drawl. All of us brown girls were pretty quiet about it. When I worked at H is when I started wearing weaves full time because I damaged my natural hair from flat ironing it every day when I started working at my first location.

I had other issues with H. We were constantly going to image classes and getting contradicting information about what constituted a good image for an H girl. I gained some weight when I worked at my last location and I got some flak from it from a manager who used to be a manager who was crazy overweight. I complained to the local coproate HR manager and it was a big deal.

Hooters is like a weird parallel universe. Like the author says it's like a secret sorority. You will never get another job like H and it shapes your identity.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
brainwashing..it's what they do at Starbucks also. They have to go to all of these coffee brainwashing events.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
that's hot

hehe

Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
We were constantly going to image classes and getting contradicting information about what constituted a good image for an H girl.
Can you give some specifics? I have not worked anywhere that was so image-oriented and admit that I am fascinated. I've also never been to a Hooters. The article mentions ideals of "girl next door" and "surfer girl," yet the company seems to groom their female employees into more of a pin-up or glamor model role. "Surfer girl" in particular just perplexes me, because (to me) surfer girls wear little makeup and would probably not be caught dead with acrylic nails. Likwise, the girl next door wears her hair in a ponytail and probably doesn't have implants. She's pretty but doesn't know it, which doesn't jive with the overt sexuality of the Hooters uniform. Do they have rules about not being "too sexy" or something?

Do they have male waiters at Hooters? That would clash with their brand of busty waitresses, yet I don't see how they could discriminate against men in employment. If guys do work there, what image do they need to portray?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty