U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,326,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What are cankles?
I hear it all the time but never could get a picture of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
does that mean you don't like big calves either?
No... But then again, how big are we talking?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM

442 posts, read 489,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
The first thing I notice on a woman is her fingernails.

True story.
What do you notice...if they are clean or if they are painted?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 PM

18,535 posts, read 13,674,466 times
cankles would have to be extemely exaggerated for me to even notice. Way down to list!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 AM

499 posts, read 614,106 times
It's only a "preference" if women are the ones discussing it (even if it's in front of other men). If a man talks about it (to other men or women), then he's a pig.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 PM

10 posts, read 6,800 times
Guys and girls hello being a leg man I totally had to participate in the conversation. Here in Greece, I think it might be a matter of culture, we prefer women that don't have cankles, at least me and my friends. But, being strongly turned off by cankles I had to do my research on how and what people get them. So if I understood theories correct, cankles occur at early adolesence, and it is the outcome of poor fat disrtibution. You get your fat distributed there, but here's the catch. Apart from the genes that, ok, might play a role in that poor fat-distribution, ankles are an indication of fitness. I am not prejudiced against obese people, and through the stories of others I empathise and understand the hard road of getting slim again. Back to the cankle thing, I consider a very big turnoff meeting lazy people, that would rather prefer to sit all day long in front of a computer screen or do absolutely nothing, no exercise no fun, no sports, no swimming, and what do they all have in common?
Poor fitness, that's the outcome of sitting all day long. On the other hand when I meet women that are 'energized' and alive and playful, well, that's a turn on. And I could imagine a woman like that, playing when she was a kid, running, and do other things that I used to do as well when I was younger. No one wants to be the kid in front of the screen, living through the computer. LIFE is out there. Thanks for the time !

Old 06-18-2015, 08:45 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,326 times
I have great legs but small ankles. I'm pretty self-conscious about them.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:28 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I have great legs but small ankles. I'm pretty self-conscious about them.
My legs are pretty good - maybe not as good as when I was younger, but still better than some women half my age. I am tall, with long legs, good calves and very small ankles, feet with high arches. I have been active all my life, and I am sure that helps. When I was younger I too used to be a little self conscious about my tiny ankles and developed calves.

I had never heard of the term "cankles" until a few years ago. I do not agree that it comes as a result of being lazy or fat. It is genetic. Anyone can look it up. Quite a few celebs have "cankles" who otherwise have great bodies. No one is perfect. I also don't blame anyone for having their preferences, I have mine as well. But yeah, blabbling about them to too many people makes one sound very superficial.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:14 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My legs are pretty good - maybe not as good as when I was younger, but still better than some women half my age. I am tall, with long legs, good calves and very small ankles, feet with high arches. I have been active all my life, and I am sure that helps. When I was younger I too used to be a little self conscious about my tiny ankles and developed calves.

I had never heard of the term "cankles" until a few years ago. I do not agree that it comes as a result of being lazy or fat. It is genetic. Anyone can look it up. Quite a few celebs have "cankles" who otherwise have great bodies. No one is perfect. I also don't blame anyone for having their preferences, I have mine as well. But yeah, blabbling about them to too many people makes one sound very superficial.
I remember back when girls wore ankle bracelets (do they still wear them?). I wanted to wear one but wouldn't because I thought it would draw attention to my ankles. I remember being a teenager and working at a pizza place. One of the drivers who worked there grabbed a chicken leg and held it up to my ankles and jokingly made a comparison. Then there's my husband who still makes fun of them. And people can't figure out why it's so easy for a girl to have a complex.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:01 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I remember back when girls wore ankle bracelets (do they still wear them?). I wanted to wear one but wouldn't because I thought it would draw attention to my ankles. I remember being a teenager and working at a pizza place. One of the drivers who worked there grabbed a chicken leg and held it up to my ankles and jokingly made a comparison. Then there's my husband who still makes fun of them. And people can't figure out why it's so easy for a girl to have a complex.
Aww, Lucy, hopefully you feel better about them now. Not sure why your husband makes fun. But when i met my husband many years ago he compared my legs to turkey drumsticks and said he wanted to "take a bite" LOL. For him this was a positive!

Old 06-19-2015, 02:02 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

I also have small ankles. At all weights. Even though I am not small. Also have small wrists. It just comes down to how your body is put together. This is one think you can't control. The size of your ankles! It is what it is. Not so sure what the big deal is.

I do remember people using this term when I was in middle school or high school. Unfortunately it seems to have a long history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty