Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM

4,797 posts, read 6,011,622 times

Advertisements

Men and roids though are not as common as women with eating disorders, BUT I will say that I have seen many more guys use roids nowadays to look buff than when I started working out in 2006.

People need to realize that these issues affect both sexes. We each feel inferior about our looks sometime or another. Don't think that only men feel unsexy about their body. Personally I think women feel unsexy about their body all the time. I say this because I work in the fitness industry, and women that many men think are already perfect always complain about being fat. If you talked to these women, none of them feel like they are sex symbols. And no I am not talking about women IN the fitness industry but average women (in terms of life) who happen to be pretty attractive but feel unsexy.

I think maybe the reason some think that men are not hot is because for the most part, many American still don't care about their own looks the way women do. But it doesn't mean women give them a pass on it or think it's acceptable. When a toned, fit guy with strong features walks in the room, women remember that sexy men do exist.

Also, the makeup industry and fashion industry make it so that women can hide "flaws" that men wouldn't be able to spot. That helps, too. But this makes the case stronger for men being sexy even more. Because men don't have to wear makeup, at least. Yes we have to groom ourselves to look good but never to the level women do. I am not saying girls need makeup to look good, but that society pressures them more to look good, because the assumption is that something needs to be fixed. So, how are men treated as not attractive any more than women are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:16 PM

463 posts, read 557,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

I think maybe the reason some think that men are not hot is because for the most part, many American still don't care about their own looks the way women do. But it doesn't mean women give them a pass on it or think it's acceptable. When a toned, fit guy with strong features walks in the room, women remember that sexy men do exist.
I'll also add that women find a much smaller percentage of men "hot" than men find women attractive.

An online dating site did a study which basically showed that women had a much bigger margin of error in terms of attractiveness. A male 9 or 10 got about as many winks as a female 6 or 7. A male 8 or 7 got substantially less responses and any guy below that basically received few if any bites.

So I think a part of it is just biology in that, for women, a man's looks don't really stand out on its own unless he is in that top 10% looks-wise.

You hear guys all the time complaining about not getting dates but getting told they're good looking, handsome, cute. Well there's your answer, women aren't going to throw themselves or go gaga over handsome, cute, or good-looking. At best you won't get immediately blown off but the guy still has to stand out in some other way to get a woman's attention.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,130,950 times
Also, the suicide rate for men is like double the rate for women, (maybe not double, but its a good deal higher) and this doesnt even include self destructive behavior that culminates in violent deaths, suicides by cop etc...I dont think women receive more pressure to look good at all.... what I hear from society more than anything is that women of all shapes and sizes are beautiful...and only a real man who is secure in his manhood is able to handle a woman's flaws etc....and that whichever men have preferences to the contrary, they have their own inadequacies and insecurities they are compensating for....ive never actually heard such a saying about women, or heard society make women a scapegoat for their own preferences in this way... (that it takes a real woman to handle some fat, blubbery, bald, short guy and so in)

....women, to me, do seem to be master promoters of marketing their victim status alot moreso than men...i suspect because they are better communicators than men...and this includes marketing the notion that they are victims of media pressure any moreso than men are pressured by the next enzyte commercial which directly tells him hes not adequate and needs to be fixed...I think the difference is mainly that men have been conditioned to take the pressure they feel on the chin, so to speak, and not cry about it, in order to retain the confident appearance that is so necessary to attract women.

Last edited by soletaire; 07-01-2014 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 05:00 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,629,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
I'll also add that women find a much smaller percentage of men "hot" than men find women attractive.

An online dating site did a study which basically showed that women had a much bigger margin of error in terms of attractiveness. A male 9 or 10 got about as many winks as a female 6 or 7. A male 8 or 7 got substantially less responses and any guy below that basically received few if any bites.

So I think a part of it is just biology in that, for women, a man's looks don't really stand out on its own unless he is in that top 10% looks-wise.

You hear guys all the time complaining about not getting dates but getting told they're good looking, handsome, cute. Well there's your answer, women aren't going to throw themselves or go gaga over handsome, cute, or good-looking. At best you won't get immediately blown off but the guy still has to stand out in some other way to get a woman's attention.
I think that might be true, there seems to be a more defined line with guys between handsome and not so much, either you've got the facial structure or you don't. I think a big part of that is we don't use makeup, which can make a big difference in how a face is perceived.

BUT, I see attractive women with pretty average looking guys all the time. Online dating takes away the huge element that is a guys "vibe", so these sites end up being a beauty contest.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:05 AM

Everyone above makes excellent points, and yet no one has actually proven that women think the male body is ugly or that women aren't visually attracted to males.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,665,222 times
Quote:
Everyone above makes excellent points, and yet no one has actually proven that women think the male body is ugly or that women aren't visually attracted to males.
I dont anyone is here to prove anything. We're all just staing what all we have seen and surmised based upon real life and online observations/situations.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I dont anyone is here to prove anything. We're all just staing what all we have seen and surmised based upon real life and online observations/situations.
I dunno, OP seems pretty convinced

Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 AM

784 posts, read 1,975,965 times
Quote:
I think the fact that many, if not most, straight women find the sight of mens' thighs to be disgusting is a step in that direction. I don't think they find the whole body disgusting though.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 AM

29,675 posts, read 34,195,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I think the fact that many, if not most, straight women find the sight of mens' thighs to be disgusting is a step in that direction. I don't think they find the whole body disgusting though.
Is it that women find mens' thighs disgusting, or that women find men in unstylish short shorts (which seems to be your pet issue) a little odd looking? I think the judgement is less about bodies and more about clothing.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 AM

710 posts, read 466,477 times
Only a handful of men have sexy legs. There are more women with nice legs, but I see a lot with nasty-ass legs, too.

I like these men with muscular upper bodies and ugly, pencil-thin legs. (they're quite plentiful with the younger males)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty