Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 AM

275 posts, read 1,283,056 times

Advertisements

I have just purchased a 3lb box of OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover. I am wondering?

1. will it be bad on clothes with colors?

2. will it be bad to skin when hand washing clothes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 AM

2 posts, read 21,867 times
hi , I am amy , i have bought something from a net that not harm skin .yesterday i used it and I forgot to turn on the washing machine and let this sit much too long on a load of laundry--the result was streaky color change throughout.

However, it does remove stains. Just use it . enjoy yourself !

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-11-2012 at 08:54 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Too much exposure to Oxyclean will destroy you fabric.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
- Dyes can be strange. Cotton fabrics will definitely have some color loss. Synthetics will hold color better. It works best with whites and pastels. But you can get away with using it on other colors just go easy and premix it in a jar so it doesn't sit directly on one spot for awhile. The hotter the water, the more color pull you will have.

- Skin - do not let this get on your skin and sit there. It says it right on the box. I have done hand washing with it and I can feel it pulling off my skin oil just like regular bleach does. It just doesn't seem to make my skin peel but definitely will leave it irritated if I don't use gloves. Just short contact does not bother me but bleach can. (its kinda like a slow acting bleach to skin if that makes any sense) If you have any self tanner on, it will strip it off.

Hold your breath while opening the container or closing it. Its kinda like powder bleach for pools in the way the dust burns if you inhale even a little bit.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM

275 posts, read 1,283,056 times
Thanks! Are stain remover sticks at equivalent level of stain-removal, but less harmful than stain remover powder, because they are enzyme-based instead of oxygen-based? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
- Dyes can be strange. Cotton fabrics will definitely have some color loss. Synthetics will hold color better. It works best with whites and pastels. But you can get away with using it on other colors just go easy and premix it in a jar so it doesn't sit directly on one spot for awhile. The hotter the water, the more color pull you will have.

- Skin - do not let this get on your skin and sit there. It says it right on the box. I have done hand washing with it and I can feel it pulling off my skin oil just like regular bleach does. It just doesn't seem to make my skin peel but definitely will leave it irritated if I don't use gloves. Just short contact does not bother me but bleach can. (its kinda like a slow acting bleach to skin if that makes any sense) If you have any self tanner on, it will strip it off.

Hold your breath while opening the container or closing it. Its kinda like powder bleach for pools in the way the dust burns if you inhale even a little bit.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Thanks! Are stain remover sticks at equivalent level of stain-removal, but less harmful than stain remover powder, because they are enzyme-based instead of oxygen-based? Thanks!
Stain sticks or the spray stain removers with enzymes are a lot easier to use without damaging your clothes. They work pretty well too.

In a pinch, you can rub a bit of laundry detergent directly into the stain and let it sit for a while before you wash it.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post

It all works on the same principle to lift out oil. They can still lift dye but are less damaging to the fabric.

ALWAYS spot test with those things.

For those I like Shout Advanced Action Gel Stain remover. It even works well on light carpet to get out coffee etc that has been sitting. Just rinse it out really well. It doesn't bother my skin at all anymore than as if I feel like I used windex with bare hands. It smells really nice like fresh clean laundry. I would not spray it and set it to the side though. My mother did that with something and ended up with a light spot where the stain was. (cotton blend pants)

Stuff I thought it was good for:
- pasta sauce/olive oil
- blood
- grass (also got it off the white part of my shoes where its foamy rubber)
- old mystery oil spots found on tshirts
- table cloth after a thanksgiving apocalyptic stain party (lol)
- lipstick (fresh)
- coffee/old coffee stains (really good on that one)
- red koolaid off the carpet

That oxy stuff can't be beat though to get a really deep clean on things like towels etc.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Dawn dishwashing liquid is the best stain remover I have found. Squirt it on the spot and wash as usual. It can't hurt your clothes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Dawn dishwashing liquid is the best stain remover I have found. Squirt it on the spot and wash as usual. It can't hurt your clothes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed its the easiest on fresh stains. I just lather it in and it usually gets fresh food stains out.
Just don't use the one with bleach alternative.

Dawn is also nice for cleaning makeup brushes.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:05 AM

2 posts, read 21,867 times
That's sounds good .Need to learn more about this .Thanks```````
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty