U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM

2,725 posts, read 3,976,569 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that in the last five to ten years, many looks of the eighties were back. The sneakers (very colorful) to the tight jeans. It seems like every twenty years fashion comes back. About a week back I saw (hold your laughter) Miley Cyrus wearing a flannel and Doc Martins, which for any of you who grew up or were atleast around in the nineties know that was the look. I kind of liked the nineties look. It was comfortable. Slightly looser/baggier jeans which I still wear. Simple shirts. Girls looked real cute with their low cut shirts and whatnot. I know everybody is not a fan of the nineties clothes, but I was. Perhaps it was because I was in my twenties. Who knows. I lived through the eighties as a teen and I hated the clothing of the eighties. I think that girls can look really cute with how they dressed in the nineties. Some points of refference Jennifer Anniston's hair. They types of shirts she wore in the early to mid nineties you can referrence the young episodes of the show "friends". A young Reese Witherspoon (I'm thinking of the movie Fear) looked cute as a button. I don't know, there might have been alot of people wearing flannels back then, but their undershirts were as cute as can be. Plus women wore really adorable leggings (all different types) and once again, really low sleaved t-shirts that showed off their upper body. Alot of jewelery was worn at that time. Like ring fingers, necklaces, etc.

I'm personally ready. This decade in my opinion sucked for clothes and I still wear my faded Levi's with simple shirts like a black faded t-shirt or an all white one. There was something kind of cool about the grungey look. I realize it's not for everybody, just like the clothes today aren't. But for me that was the peak of my young adulthood and I guess I'm a bit nostalgic to some degree. But those clothes were just comfortable. Many of the sweaters were ribbed (which I like) and women seemed to have more variety in shoes.

I realize that it probably wasn't the most fashionable decade. But what decade really was? I'll take comfortable and cute over high priced uncomfortable clothes anyday. That's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 01:29 PM

722 posts, read 1,539,574 times
We are in the 2010s now. I think it is time for some new styles instead of copying past decades. We are way too backwards of a nation. We need to be moving forward.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 PM

5,128 posts, read 12,779,490 times
If you wore the "fashion" the 1st time, you're too old to wear it again!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:51 PM

13,078 posts, read 21,238,038 times
I loathed shoe shopping in the 90s. Everything looked like tractor tires, or the heel was a big fat clunky granny heel. There was nothing feminine and I had the hardest time finding classic heels and flats because everywhere you went it was clunky, earth-destroyer boots and 3 inch platform sandals and sneakers a la the Spice Girls.

Blechhh. And what was up with all the sheer sleeves? I did like the jewel tones and the trapeze pants, though.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 PM

5,506 posts, read 8,206,980 times
I wore Jeans, T shirts, and Hiking boots in the 80's.
I wore Jeans, T shirts, and Hiking boots in the 90's
I'm wearing Jeans, T shirt, and Hiking boots now.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM

10,346 posts, read 7,638,707 times
In my opinion these trends are driven by what the hipsters are picking up at the Salvation Army and Goodwill. It takes about 20 years until many people finally discard their "old" clothes. When those clothes hit the thrift stores, like the '70s clothes did, followed dutifully by '80s, and now '90s --- the hipsters start wearing the real slightly-worn issue of those clothes, and a year later you see an ultra-expensive copy of such clothing in the pages of Vogue, and finally at your local mall.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 PM

73,160 posts, read 64,696,850 times
hmm...the 90's? I've always worn my own thing, no matter what was in style, but as I recall, harem pants made their debut in the 90's. No nostalgia for that! And baggy ethnic-like wear. Which part of the 90's are you reminiscing about, OP? Got photos?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM

2,725 posts, read 3,976,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you wore the "fashion" the 1st time, you're too old to wear it again!!!

You're never too old to wear what you like. Plus, I don't look that much different twenty years later. I work out and stay very fit. Not giant guido style. More like toned with some chest and some arms. Not a meat head though. I'm not talking super baggy jeans either. Certainly not the gangster look. I'm talking about loose to slightly baggy and plain colored t-shirts. Blue, black, white, etc. That's never out of style. I'm not saying that I'm breaking out the chokers. But alot of boots were worn. I still wear boots. The clothes I wear are comfortable and you can wear them any decade. I've stayed with my faded levi's over the years and boots. For sneakers I always wear classic addidas, pumas, etc, they never seem to go out of style. But weather you want to believe it or not, these styles will slowly come back. If you don't like them, then that's fine. I don't like skinny jeans and colorful shoes. Flannels will never go out of style either. Many guys like me wear them for work. I usually don't go into what I do for work, I used to work in an office. I have a business degree. Last year I took a four month class on welding. Now I am a welder. I'm certainly not going to wear skinny jeans and tight shirts for my line of work or even for comfort. Comfort was what I liked most about that decade. Plus girls used to wear those skin tight black tights that looked sexy on some women. I don't know, girls seemed to wear alot of accessories then which looked cute to me at least. Of course women were much skinnier back then. Now we're living in a "fat" culture.

In this last decade we went from Abercrombie and B tch to $200 dollar jeans like G-star, Lucky brand, and True Religion. I must admit, even though I still own some Levi's, I do like my Lucky Brand jeans (there very comfortable) and two pairs of my True Religion. Don't get me wrong, I still dress in style. I'm just saying, styles shift and I'm ready to hit the thrift stores and ready to save money and be comfortable. I don't wear just black and white t-shirts. That was just an example of simplicity. I wear alot of V-necks, solid color sweaters (usually solid black and white), etc, etc. Yet, I still have a bit of an edge to my style. Just because I'm closing in on forty, fashion is still important to me. The thing I liked about the nineties is that girls were very creative. In the last decade every women seemed to wear the same designer jeans and same tops..There just seemed to be more creativity back then. I used to wear some cool looking henley's back in the day too. Which I've noticed are coming back. I see alot of older actors breaking out their levi's and one color toned shirts like black or blue. So, I see the shift. You don't have to like it, but that's just the way fashion goes. For sneakers I never liked high tops. I don't know, I sort of dress very similar to celebrities to some degree. This isn't by copying. I just notice that I wear alot of solid colors like them, v-necks, etc, etc. My hair used to be sort of long like the rocker look. Best example if you're older would be like Stephen Dorff in the movie S.F.W. I could put it in a pony tail and not have to fuss with it. I'm not into buttoned down striped shirts unless their flannels but not striped.

I don't know. I never wore doc martins. I didn't go that far out. I wore those brown with a little green in them Timberlands that guys and girls rocked around 94'. Or I would wear black Carolinas. Both boots aren't cheap. The timberlands were a hundred dollars and my Carolinas were a 170. I guess my look was sort of like the bad boy/ edgier look of the nineties among actors. I mention them as refference. Ala, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Stephen Dorff. What's wrong with that look? I think it looks better than the doofy skinny jean/ tight shirt wearing look at my arms shirts of today...Oh and don't even get me going on those shirts that had designs like tattoos. I can't remember the name-so tacky. Glad people stopped wearing them.

Perhaps I'm just old. I've had many decades to figure out what I like to wear. What looks good on me/ what is comfortable. I don't copy anyones style. But I definately relate to the way some people dress more than others. I only referrenced actors because those are people we all know. And I don't mean to imply the Johnny Depp of today. That pirate look is lame. I'm talking more like he looked when he was going with Kate Moss or Winona Ryder. I wear alot of white pajama type flannels under my t-shirts in the cooler weather. I always thought that the closest guy who resembled my style was probably Stephen Dorff. I don't care for him that much as an actor, but I have always liked his style. Some of it atleast. I've seen some of these guys wear some pretty tack shirts every now and then. Brad Pitt wears tacky sneakers, and some times his clothes from pants to shirt are the same colors. That's pretty tacky. So you can see who I think dresses decent for women. I would pick Jennifer Anniston as having her own style. She always dresses nice to me. She has style. She'd be my best referrence for what women has style. Sort of like my girl. I can't think of too many others that I think always look pretty good. JA puts clothes together well. Her boyfriend sort of has an edge to his style. I could wear some of the things he wears.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 09-12-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 AM

7,736 posts, read 14,010,746 times
Bodysuits and flannels? Sure, why not!?! I'll make it work. But no cropped tees for me. It's in everybody else's best interest.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,306,053 times
I was in High School during th elate 80's and remember what was in then .....

So I was in my 20's in the 90's and honestly, I can't really remember any specific "look"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty