Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 PM

141 posts, read 284,877 times

Advertisements

I recently traveled to East Asia and noticed whitening is really the ultimate beauty principle there. Not weight loss. Not big boobs. Not big butts. The women there would go for flawless pale skin before any other things. Even the hand soap in ladies rooms and my friends' bathrooms had whitening ingredients. I thought that was insane. Nobody has anything against this principle there like how people would say black women shouldn't dye their hair blonde or something here. It is completely taken for granted. Asian women with darker skin are considered not as attractive and they themselves seem to admit it too. I was very shocked. What's your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,372 times
::sigh::

Old 09-12-2012, 06:25 PM

499 posts, read 756,570 times
Sad but not really. Not everyone is born as "ideal" and has to deal with it. The ones who whiten their skin are sad, sad, sad individuals. Rather than be proud of who they are and fight the "status quo", they try to imitate the "standard" (looking like horrible impostors in the process) rather than "change" the standard.

I don't feel bad for them one bit though as I'm sure they have their own preferences and I'm sure many of them won't be rushing to date men who don't fit their "ideal" or the status quo.

You work with what you got, but the sexiest people OWN what they have NATURALLY.

Last edited by Walter002; 09-12-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
1. Do the ingredients in these soaps/products contain harmful/toxic ingredients?

Are any of them possibly natural?

2. This reminds me of my South American side of the family. Most of them are naturally olive all the way up to Native American brown and they are obsessed with staying pale. It's so sad...this fixation even keeps the young women from enjoying outdoor activities such as swimming, sports, even nice summer walks.

I would never want my daughter to feel this way but it is something these mothers teach their daughters. So sad.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 PM

What about the Japanese subculture Ganguro? Seems to veer in the opposite direction:

Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
1. Do the ingredients in these soaps/products contain harmful/toxic ingredients?

Are any of them possibly natural?

2. This reminds me of my South American side of the family. Most of them are naturally olive all the way up to Native American brown and they are obsessed with staying pale. It's so sad...this fixation even keeps the young women from enjoying outdoor activities such as swimming, sports, even nice summer walks.

I would never want my daughter to feel this way but it is something these mothers teach their daughters. So sad.
1. I don't know if the ingredients are harmful. I just understand in Japanese, it means "whitening." But come on, it's hand soap! It's for everybody that uses the bathroom!

2. OMG crazy story here. Not even outdoor! I talked to an "office lady" there. She told me she reapplied her sunscreen in the office through the day to protect her skin against the computer screen. What?!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
What about the Japanese subculture Ganguro? Seems to veer in the opposite direction:

Are those sun tan or makeup? If sun tan, it's really really bad for their skin.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,054 times
I'm an East Asian with a California tan and meat on her bones. The standard East Asian beauty is a 18-20 year old snow white pale 90-100 pound waif. I pretty much stuck out like a sore thumb when I travel to east Asia and the attention that I got was not kind, which is part of the reason why I don't enjoy traveling there anymore along with the nouveau riche attitude of "if you have it flaunt it and if you don't fake it" materialistic attitude that many people seem to have. But in Taiwan, the attitude toward tan skin seems to be a little relaxed.

The average Asian woman do have better skin than most westerners that I've seen due to obsession with staying out of the sun (and partially to humid climate) and they're not all falling over from mercury skin poisoning although most skincare and makeup products have them so I guess it's not at all that bad. Some of the makeup products that I wear everyday have whitening properties. I'm not seeing any difference in skin shade but my skin texture is getting better by the day due to other factors.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:28 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,501 times
Quote:

The Asian version of ravergoth.

this is more what's popular.

Girls' Generation Oh! MV - YouTube

Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
The Asian version of ravergoth.

this is more what's popular.

Girls' Generation Oh! MV - YouTube

is that KPOP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty