Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:22 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
Lots of my friends have tattoos and they are quite proud of them. (Like they had to cure cancer to get one!) Funny thing is most of the time no one would know they had a tattoo because they hide them under their clothes so only they see them.

I am confused. If tattoos are so great put them where people can see them. Maybe Mike Tyson with his facial tattoo is the smart one. I say put them where people can see them: face, neck, hands, arms, legs, etc.

From what I've seen it really depends on where you work. Many businesses won't allow hire you or allow you to show your tattoos when on the job. Even some of my college programs I've been in won't allow you show your tattoos when doing field experiences or internships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 01:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
From what I've seen it really depends on where you work. Many businesses won't allow hire you or allow you to show your tattoos when on the job. Even some of my college programs I've been in won't allow you show your tattoos when doing field experiences or internships.
It's funny, because the only time I've had an issue with showing my tattoos was in 'lower' positions. My engineering internships didn't care (and I might be doing one with the JPL next summer) and the only job where my tattoos have been an issue was when I was working at a big box home improvement store part time during college. It was the second lowest paying job I've ever had.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:27 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Where I was working last kind of used my tattoos as a problem, but there were never any complaints, and other people had tattoos and nothing was said to them. I don't quite understand it.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:47 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Now you're just being dramatic.
The truth gets dramatic at times..........

Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
oh goodness.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Where I was working last kind of used my tattoos as a problem, but there were never any complaints, and other people had tattoos and nothing was said to them. I don't quite understand it.
Oh, you got complaints! You just did not perceive them to be negative comments about your tattoos.

Ignoring polite complaints is a form of denial since , I'm gonna guess here, you simply didn't want to hear that kinda negative comment about your tattoos. If they had been praise I bet you would heard then loud and clear!!

It is a common flaw in the human brain.......Hearing only what you want to hear. We all do it to some degree.........

Hope this helps you understand better.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, you got complaints! You just did not perceive them to be negative comments about your tattoos.

Ignoring polite complaints is a form of denial since , I'm gonna guess here, you simply didn't want to hear that kinda negative comment about your tattoos. If they had been praise I bet you would heard then loud and clear!!

It is a common flaw in the human brain.......Hearing only what you want to hear. We all do it to some degree.........

No it doesn't. Sounds like a bunch of hot air and someone who thinks he knows it all and is right about everything.

I am sure I got complaints. They weren't from the patients. If I had to guess, they were from the people that worked there.

You see, old man, I work at 120% and it pisses me off when people do just enough to get buy. It burns me up when people are slackers and there is an office place full of inefficiency.

When I am doing the work of three and other people are doing less than the work of one I normally go to my boss about ways to make things run smoother, since my work load was greater. If certain people could do what they were hired to do things would have been better.

With the fact that I was doing the work of several, the manager implemented these things and other people didn't like it. They liked coming in to work, being on facebook, playing games on their phones and not working and getting paid for it.

The patients loved me and hated to see me go. Some asked if they could say something to the admin to make me stay and I told them not really, since it was my choice to leave.

I heard praise all day, from the people I needed to hear it from.... the patients. I was an advocate for every one of my patients, especially those who were elderly, unhappy, hard to get along with, and who had difficulty speaking English.

Most people just don't have the time for people like these, and they push them aside. The people start getting used to how I am treating them and feel that the other staff should have treated them the same.

Patients began to complain about the other staff and their treatment towards them and this is when my tattoos came in to play.

You are probably one of the types of people that I would show that extra bit of attention to. I always felt it that if one of my patients seemed unhappy, it was my duty that day to change it around, and that is exactly what I did.

In all the 12 years of working in medical offices, I made it a point to be a patient advocate. Not many others do that. I have met a few, but more often than not, they don't. I worked for the patient, not the dr.

Unfortunately, this did not make me a favorite amongst staff. Management loved me because I could learn the system the first day and I got the job done and I did it with a good attitude.

Smile. You may feel better about yourself.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Your 'truth' is obviously not my 'truth'.

Funny how that works.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:

You go around quoting verses, but I have a feeling there may be a little dust on the Bible there at your house.

Matthew 7

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I guess it's a good thing that I am not a prisoner. Or maybe it's a funny thing I am not a prisoner. I do not wear my tattoos as badges of courage.

I am a good person and a fine and upstanding citizen. My son is 18 and went straight from high school to college with a full scholarship. My daughter is 16 and is in 11th grade this year. When they were in elementary school I volunteered on a daily basis and went to all of their meetings. I was also a PTA mom. Lord where did I go wrong? I didn't go wrong. My children are well balanced, intelligent, loving and kind individuals. I took care of both of my parents until their last breaths.

When my SO gets home, I greet him at the door with a hug and a kiss, normally wearing my apron and dinner on the stove. I am no different that anyone else in this world and having tattoos makes me no worse.

I do happen to think that your judgmental nature may make you worse, however.

I do think you may have issues with yourself as you are always lashing out at others.

Of course this is not the best pic of me, but I am not too proud to share it.
For reasons that escape me I don't have a clue why you take my opinion of tattoos as a personal jab. It isn't.

What it is is my general opinion of the topic and the people that populate that sub culture nothing more, nothing less. If my words sting you then there must be some reason that you feel some sort of guilt for having a tattooed body. This I do not know..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty