U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,464,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
The difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is people with tattoos don't care if you don't have tattoos.
I fully and completely agree.

My wife has a full sleeve on her right arm along with some extensive back work but is still a work in progress.

My wife gets a massive amount of commentary in which the overwhelming majority of it is positive.

Lots of questions are thrown at her like " when did you start your tattoo art? " and " does your husband like it? "

Yes, I love it actually.
I have six tattoo's myself and am continuing to add them.

To those that think her career is somehow stunted as a result of her body art I have this to say;
She is an upper tier sales manager and has 25 sales reps in her charge.

In order to afford the current tattoo tab at close to 5500.00 and rising we have to be doing quite well for ourselves and we do.

When we purchased a BMW 7 series last year at a BMW dealership the sales rep went crazy when he saw my wife's ink and proceeded to show us his latest addition to his skin.

To those who think tattoo's are still reserved for sailors, prostitutes and trash I need for you to go back to the 50's when that stereotype was at it's apex.
You have no reason to be in the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,615,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have noticed that just like with anything else, you either love them or you hate them.

Now, I have seen some tattoos that just do not look good and some with poor placement, etc. I have also seen some very very beautiful tattoos out there.

Strangers stop me on the street with one of mine. Of course, I am flattered. Many want to know where it was done and who my artist is.

I know people of all ages have various opinions, as well. When my sister first saw it she nearly died and told me it was pretty but omg it is way too big. My sister is 52. I saw my aunt and she noticed the bottom half of the tattoo beneath my sleeve. She thought it was absolutely beautiful and told me my sister was crazy. My aunt is 69.

At work, many people ask to see the full tattoo and just love it. These are patients from teens to in their 90's.

I am not very judgmental about people in the least, but it seems that when someone has negative feelings against something, they really voice it, and don't have much nice to say.

A big thing with me is racism. I will speak up against racism if someone says something to me, but otherwise, I like to go by the golden rule and do and say unto others as I would have them do or say unto me.

I am pretty sure there are people out there chain smoking cigarettes and I know that it is bad for their health and I know that it is bad for their skin but I don't come out and say, wait a while. You'll see.

If it is someone I love or care about, maybe even a stranger, I may encourage them to quit for their own health benefits, etc, but I don't drag it out and go on and on about it.

You don't like tattoos? OK?!?!

I was watching TLC's Say Yes to the Dress and the mother in law to be didn't want the bride to get a certain dress because it didn't cover her tattoo. I don't think she had any right to tell this girl what she could wear at all....
I don't know about tlc but I don't think much of tatoos. I do understand many people with them want to think of themselves as; edgy, independant, individualistic, ect... To me they say; I do drugs, I'm promiscuous, I have ambivalant feelings about being gainfully employed, ect.

It would appear you are one of those who are gainfully employed. Good for you. However, I don't tell people that. Most tatoos are there for life. Why hurt people's feelings for no reason.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 AM

5,273 posts, read 8,227,142 times
"Behavior" is not the right word, it is peoples opinion on tattoos.

First let me state that everyone in this country has the right to make their own choices. I should not care what others choose to do AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT intrude on my rights. A tattoo on another person does not affect me in any way so no problem.

My opinion of this tattoo craze is not favorable because I don't understand it. Lately I have seen many young people just COVERED in tattoos that are impossible to cover up. In my opinion these young people are handicapping themselves in life. It is hard enough finding a good job in this economy without having the added self inflicted "problem" of being a walking billboard/"piece of art".

Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,780,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Whats up with that is that I stated I don't really judge people, I am pretty laid back, and peoples choices are there choices.

When I see people on CD being racist towards other people, or anywhere for that matter, I will stand up for them. I put that in there so that people (like you) wouldn't come and say, oh, she says she is laid back and doesn't judge people but look at her getting upset over people being racist towards other people.

What I want to know is why people who don't like tattoos are so loud about it.

I don't know you and I guess you don't know me, but if you ever followed my posts in this forum, you would see that I stand up for people who are being attacked in a racist manner.

**la·ment
   [luh-ment] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to feel or express sorrow or regret for: to lament his absence.
to mourn for or over.
Relevant Questions
How to Write a Lament?
What Is Lamenting?
What Does Lament Mean?
How To Clean Lament Floo...
verb (used without object)
to feel, show, or express grief, sorrow, or regret.
to mourn deeply.

I am not 'mourning' racism. I want it to die!

Also~ My signature is my business. It says something about how I feel.

What's up with you not addressing my question and going off topic? What's up with that Dale Cooper? Why aren't you on the the subject of tattoos?
(bolded) -- I guess they are trying to make you think twice before you get MORE tattoos? Which is probably an exercise in pointlessness for them.

Yeah, who cares what you do with your skin and body. But you have to know that it does say something about you, and many people that would see your 'skin art' will never say anything but be thinking things anyway. You should be okay with that, because you can't control other people's thoughts.

What a tattooed person is conveying to me is short-sightedness. Assuming that you will want some marginally-talented 'artist' to imprint something on your surface for your entire life implies an inability to think clearly and long-term. I have seen some faddish pictures and symbols on people that are going to be embarrassing in 10-20 years. Also, I'm pretty sure those tats don't stay crisp and colorful after 20 years on your body. They tend to blue out. Ew, who wants that.

For some reason, people get kind of addicted to tats and add more and more. Again, impulse control is lacking.

I just think you are looking for an argument, OP. Go for it. Personally I don't care what you do with yourself and would never say anything.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,464,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
For some reason, people get kind of addicted to tats and add more and more. Again, impulse control is lacking.

Ahhhh yes generalizations about people will get you far in life.

So by saying " impulse control is lacking " you are including my wife who holds an MBA and has begun her tattoo project well over five years ago.

Discipline and patience in life in order to arrive at a desired outcome encompasses countless venues, one of which is body art.

Those that have full sleeves and or full suits of tattoo art on their person must have just thought " Hey! I think I'll go down and sit in the artist's chair for an hour and magically I'll have most of my body covered in ink. "

It takes a commitment and conviction to create complex imagery whether that be with a pallet of watercolors or a pallet of tattoo ink.

Take caution in your generalizations. My wife is 49 years old, not an 18 year old getting a butterfly above her @ss.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM

3,318 posts, read 5,314,822 times
I have two small tattoos both of which are covered by everyday clothing. I really don't have issues with the choices other people make for themselves. The only thing sort of irks me is when heavily tatted people complain when they are often discriminated against during the hiring process.

Tattoos are a CHOICE and with every decision comes consequences...while discrimination in hiring on the basis of tattos might be misguided and some of these folks might be some of the best nad the brightest I still support an employers right to set personal limits on what is considered acceptable by their own standards.

Love them or hate them...all depends on how good they look on that particular person.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,532,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Tattoos are going to attract attention, you're okay with positive attention but not the negative? I don't think it works like that. People are going to comment on anything that's different, whether it's your hairstyle, the way you dress, whatever. I've always thought it a little odd that people go out of their way to be a bit different (which is a good thing IMO) but then they seem put out if some people don't like it.
I don't think I quite said that. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, and to feel how they feel. What I am not ok with is when people are just rude. Yes, the lady gave me 'the look' yesterday, and that is fine. She probably didn't even realize she was doing it, maybe she did.

People on this board don't mind just being rude and saying things like there is something wrong with my lifestyle and my belief system, if I even have one, just because I have tattoos.

What if I was different in another way? Would that be a different case? Would I have had a correct lifestyle and belief system the moment before I sat in the tattoo chair and then stood up with a different one? I don't think so.

What I am not accepting of, is how people feel that they can attack others, for any reason just because they are not like them.

I don't go out of my way to be different, I've always been different, since I was a young child. As a very young person, I was different than all of my brothers and sisters. I don't know why, I just was. I happen to want to think it was a good thing. The rest of them got into drugs and alcohol and dropped out of school.

I got into neither and finished and then went further. So, I like the fact that I am different.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Well, I have read a few more posts and I am not going to sit here and quote them all, as it is quite useless. I am not a mindless teenager and I do know to exhibit control. I am not promiscuous and I do not do drugs. I do not smoke cigarettes. I don't have twelve pounds of black make-up on my face, let alone any. I do not scream out the window as I am driving down the street. I don't have O Z Z Y tattooed across my knuckles and I don't listen to death metal. I also don't bite the head off of bats.

I would venture to say I am pretty intelligent, and I have raised intelligent children. Throughout high school my son maintained a 4.0 GPA and I think that is quite the accomplishment. He is in college now...

If you saw me on the street, and could not see my tattoos, you would not think any of the above things about me. If we sat down and had a conversation over coffee, I think you would have a very good impression of me.

I just wonder if someone took the time to see the actual person and not judge them by their tattoos, what the difference would be.

I think you would think I was a very nice person who had their head on their shoulders and would probably not mind talking to me again.

Maybe the next time I would show up with a sleeveless shirt on. Would it make me a terrible person, even though you had already built a concrete impression of me?

I'd have to say that would be your loss, definitely not mine.

Last edited by Pikantari; 09-23-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 AM

@birdinmigration, I am not looking for an argument, but an answer.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 AM

3,318 posts, read 5,314,822 times
I will say I think wh.oever said "shows lack of impulse control" was jumping a bit far...many people collect SOMETHING, I am unsure how realistically this is any different in regards to impluse control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty