Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

I personally do not like tattoos. They are not my "thing", so what? Why do people with tattoos care that I don't like tats? I'm not judging you for them or saying that you are not good people, I just don't happen to like them. To me its just like saying that I don't care for someone's personal style. I'm not being disrespectful to that person just stating that our styles are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 03:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
There was a time in this country when tattoos were limited to "unsavory" types of people. Thugs, criminals, sailors, etc. Many people still hold to that philosophy, even though it is no longer true. Some people just cannot get past that.

Personally, I do not care for them. I find them unattractive on both men and women. I have yet to see a single tattoo that I find appealing. Maybe there is one out there, I'm not sure. Also, if you will check out many of the "mugshots" websites online, you will discover that tattoos are very popular with the criminal element, so that does not help the perception much either.

That being said, I think it is up to the person. If they are willing to be perceived by "some people" as a thug or a **** or a criminal - if having a tattoo is *that* important to them, well that's fine with me. I don't care what people do with their bodies as long as it does not impact me. I will admit to you, however, that when I see a guy with tattoos all over (especially on their neck), I am careful because I think they are bad people. They might be the nicest people in the world, but that's what I think.

20yrsiNBranson

Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I personally do not like tattoos. They are not my "thing", so what? Why do people with tattoos care that I don't like tats? I'm not judging you for them or saying that you are not good people, I just don't happen to like them. To me its just like saying that I don't care for someone's personal style. I'm not being disrespectful to that person just stating that our styles are different.
I think that your perspective is fine. I don't think that people with tattoos care whether or not people who don't like them feel that way. It is when those people start being judgmental towards them because of the fact that they may have a tattoo.

Just the same, I of course don't care if people don't have them. That would be a ridiculous thing for me to think ill of someone who did not have one or to judge them for not having them.

I think that is why some people with tattoos are a bit bothered over it. We don't judge people who don't have them because their skin is bare, we should deserve the same respect.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There was a time in this country when tattoos were limited to "unsavory" types of people. Thugs, criminals, sailors, etc. Many people still hold to that philosophy, even though it is no longer true. Some people just cannot get past that.

Personally, I do not care for them. I find them unattractive on both men and women. I have yet to see a single tattoo that I find appealing. Maybe there is one out there, I'm not sure. Also, if you will check out many of the "mugshots" websites online, you will discover that tattoos are very popular with the criminal element, so that does not help the perception much either.

That being said, I think it is up to the person. If they are willing to be perceived by "some people" as a thug or a **** or a criminal - if having a tattoo is *that* important to them, well that's fine with me. I don't care what people do with their bodies as long as it does not impact me. I will admit to you, however, that when I see a guy with tattoos all over (especially on their neck), I am careful because I think they are bad people. They might be the nicest people in the world, but that's what I think.

20yrsiNBranson
Among young people, I heard that at least 30% of people in their 20's had tattoos. It is simply much more common and acceptable among the younger generations. Tattoos may still have a little bit of a "bad boy" or "bad girl" stigma to it; though among the young that is part of the appeal. However, they are simply too common these days to be able to draw a logical conclusion about someone based on one or two tattoos. My personal experience definitely suggests that the younger generations are simply more open to differences and are less judgmental about what they do not understand. The people that still cling to these old-school judgments about people with tattoos are usually definitely older than me (I'm 33). I know that that last comment may not be too popular, but my personal experiences also tell me that too many older people lack the ability to adjust to change or adapt new ideas. They become stuck in a time-warped mentality and outlook that is almost impossible to change. You mentioned in another post that almost all of the students at MIT do not have visible tattoos. However, many of them do have tattoos somewhere on their body that may or may not even be visible. That is a fundamental point that I need to make. Even among people that have a couple of tattoos and like tattoos; there is a big difference between having just a couple and being covered in them. If you are referring to people covered in tattoos...OK, I guess that you have a point that this look is more common among the lower and criminal class of people. However, that does NOT mean that you should not give the tattooed person the opportunity to prove themselves. On the other hand, if you are one of those people that cast judgement about one or two tattoos in common place for tattoos (such as the arms for men and back for women) than you would really need to join the rest of us in the 21st century. Since they are so common, I am simply at a loss to understand why someone would not be able to hang up their prejudices over a single tattoo.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
What started this tattoo fad, especially among women? I remember when only "bad" people got them!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
On the other hand, if you are one of those people that cast judgement about one or two tattoos in common place for tattoos (such as the arms for men and back for women) than you would really need to join the rest of us in the 21st century. Since they are so common, I am simply at a loss to understand why someone would not be able to hang up their prejudices over a single tattoo.
I agree that many highly "respectable" people have tattoos these days. Heck, I know an attorney (some may argue that attorneys are not necessarily respectable, LOL), who has one. In fact, most of the "older" people (over 40, including women) I come in contact with have them and most of those people are on the "upscale" end of society. I was just raised with a certain set of values. I do not consider myself "out of touch" or old fashioned and I do not consider that everyone who has a tattoo has criminal tendencies. I just personally think they are nasty and I am repulsed by them. It's hard to pretend you like something that grosses you out.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I remember when only "bad" people got them!
No you don't. You remember when tattoos were mostly associated with 'bad' people.

Quote:
What started this tattoo fad, especially among women?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.reference.com
Fad
noun
a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group.
Tattoos are NOT a fad.
Tattoos | History & Archaeology | Smithsonian Magazine
Quote:
Humans have marked their bodies with tattoos for thousands of years.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM

What I have learned, since getting my most recent tattoo, is that older people are much more accepting of tattoos than people may think.

In working at an Internal Medicine office, I actually had more older and elderly people complimenting my tattoos.

I am almost 39. These people are lets say 60 and up. Of course people of all ages complimented me, but I was really surprised at the much older ones.

This is just like my aunt who is 69 who loves it and my sister is 52 who doesn't.

I guess we can't please all the people all the time.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I guess we can't please all the people all the time.
Absolutely -- and if you are, something is very WRONG!!!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Absolutely -- and if you are, something is very WRONG!!!
lol....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty