U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,537,591 times
Reputation: 19578

Advertisements

I have noticed that just like with anything else, you either love them or you hate them.

Now, I have seen some tattoos that just do not look good and some with poor placement, etc. I have also seen some very very beautiful tattoos out there.

Strangers stop me on the street with one of mine. Of course, I am flattered. Many want to know where it was done and who my artist is.

I know people of all ages have various opinions, as well. When my sister first saw it she nearly died and told me it was pretty but omg it is way too big. My sister is 52. I saw my aunt and she noticed the bottom half of the tattoo beneath my sleeve. She thought it was absolutely beautiful and told me my sister was crazy. My aunt is 69.

At work, many people ask to see the full tattoo and just love it. These are patients from teens to in their 90's.

I am not very judgmental about people in the least, but it seems that when someone has negative feelings against something, they really voice it, and don't have much nice to say.

A big thing with me is racism. I will speak up against racism if someone says something to me, but otherwise, I like to go by the golden rule and do and say unto others as I would have them do or say unto me.

I am pretty sure there are people out there chain smoking cigarettes and I know that it is bad for their health and I know that it is bad for their skin but I don't come out and say, wait a while. You'll see.

If it is someone I love or care about, maybe even a stranger, I may encourage them to quit for their own health benefits, etc, but I don't drag it out and go on and on about it.

You don't like tattoos? OK?!?!

I was watching TLC's Say Yes to the Dress and the mother in law to be didn't want the bride to get a certain dress because it didn't cover her tattoo. I don't think she had any right to tell this girl what she could wear at all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,719 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Reputation: 27774
I don't have any tattoos, I don't want any tattoos and I don't care if anyone else has them.

I've seen some really beautiful work over the years and have commented on it.

I wanted a tattoo in the '70s and couldn't find anyone in my area. I also wanted a pair of red western boots. No luck there, either.

It seems as though there are so many with tats these days that it would not be an issue.

"I think it's so groovy now
That people are finally getting together
I thinks it's wonderful and how
That people are finally getting together..."

Like that's going to happen.

Pik, funny how sometimes the elderly are the most understanding. I guess that they've seen it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 01:09 AM
 
11,432 posts, read 19,452,773 times
Reputation: 18135
I hate them. Hate hate hate them.

That's why I don't have any. Hubby feels the same.

BUT -- we also do not have any right to make anyone else not get them. I do not have rights over your body.

And if I were the queen of the world I would CERTAINLY go after way more things before tattoos. Like cigarettes and chewing gum. And I don't care about your body and smoking -- smoke all you want! Throw one butt on the ground and you're going to jail. Maybe losing a hand. Spit gum on the ground? The caning they get in Thailand? Not harsh enough.

Being a janitor you get a whole different mindset to things.

Anyhow (it's late, I'm tired and my mind is wandering....)

OH -- meant to add -- I also have no feelings about people that have tattoos. I don't automatically think they are ...pirates or Navy people. (I really am tired! I can't think of who else had tattoos!)

Tatoos are so mainstream nowadays they've lost their shock value. And as art -- well... all I can say is my mother saw a Van Gogh once and wondered why such a messy thing was hanging in an art gallery. Art really is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 AM
 
11,685 posts, read 13,091,702 times
Reputation: 30976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
...I was watching TLC's Say Yes to the Dress and the mother in law to be didn't want the bride to get a certain dress because it didn't cover her tattoo. I don't think she had any right to tell this girl what she could wear at all....
Question of tatoos aside, whoever pays calls the shots. I have no problem with tatoos or piercings, though I don't have any. However, if Dad is paying for the bride's dress, in the end money has the biggest mouth. If Dad (or whoever is paying) wants a dress that covers tatoos, then that's the dress the bride gets.

You want to be able to pick your own bridal dress (or anything else) then you pay for it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 05:37 AM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,537,591 times
Reputation: 19578
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Question of tatoos aside, whoever pays calls the shots. I have no problem with tatoos or piercings, though I don't have any. However, if Dad is paying for the bride's dress, in the end money has the biggest mouth. If Dad (or whoever is paying) wants a dress that covers tatoos, then that's the dress the bride gets.

You want to be able to pick your own bridal dress (or anything else) then you pay for it yourself.
Well, this was her fiances mother, and I am quite sure she wasn't paying, and my boyfriends mother would have no right telling me to cover my tattoos.

Her mother was there and did not mind the tattoo and there was a bit of a tiff between the two mothers.

You need to accept someone as they are. The bf and I were joking around and he told me I had to be covered. He said OMG You're gonna look like a mummy coming down the isle!

Oh well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 05:42 AM
 
35,121 posts, read 37,842,380 times
Reputation: 61845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I hate them. Hate hate hate them.

That's why I don't have any. Hubby feels the same.

BUT -- we also do not have any right to make anyone else not get them. I do not have rights over your body.

And if I were the queen of the world I would CERTAINLY go after way more things before tattoos. Like cigarettes and chewing gum. And I don't care about your body and smoking -- smoke all you want! Throw one butt on the ground and you're going to jail. Maybe losing a hand. Spit gum on the ground? The caning they get in Thailand? Not harsh enough.

Being a janitor you get a whole different mindset to things.

Anyhow (it's late, I'm tired and my mind is wandering....)

OH -- meant to add -- I also have no feelings about people that have tattoos. I don't automatically think they are ...pirates or Navy people. (I really am tired! I can't think of who else had tattoos!)

Tatoos are so mainstream nowadays they've lost their shock value. And as art -- well... all I can say is my mother saw a Van Gogh once and wondered why such a messy thing was hanging in an art gallery. Art really is in the eye of the beholder.

It is doubtful you would be queen for very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 05:46 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,582 posts, read 42,755,715 times
Reputation: 57257
I don't like them. I think those who get them will be sorry someday, either because they wish they hadn't gotten them at all, or because they don't like the tattoo they chose anymore.
I work with a young woman who cannot even dress appropriately at work because her tatoos would show. When something like this affects ones career choices, it is just foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 AM
 
3,111 posts, read 6,747,602 times
Reputation: 4244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is doubtful you would be queen for very long.
lol, her head would be on a pike after a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,009,458 times
Reputation: 9036
The subject is tattoos, the OP's signature laments racism, yet the OP throws race into the thread about tattoos.

What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 AM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,537,591 times
Reputation: 19578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The subject is tattoos, the OP's signature laments racism, yet the OP throws race into the thread about tattoos.

What's up with that?
Whats up with that is that I stated I don't really judge people, I am pretty laid back, and peoples choices are there choices.

When I see people on CD being racist towards other people, or anywhere for that matter, I will stand up for them. I put that in there so that people (like you) wouldn't come and say, oh, she says she is laid back and doesn't judge people but look at her getting upset over people being racist towards other people.

What I want to know is why people who don't like tattoos are so loud about it.

I don't know you and I guess you don't know me, but if you ever followed my posts in this forum, you would see that I stand up for people who are being attacked in a racist manner.

**la·ment
   [luh-ment] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
1.
to feel or express sorrow or regret for: to lament his absence.
2.
to mourn for or over.
Relevant Questions
How to Write a Lament?
What Is Lamenting?
What Does Lament Mean?
How To Clean Lament Floo...
verb (used without object)
3.
to feel, show, or express grief, sorrow, or regret.
4.
to mourn deeply.

I am not 'mourning' racism. I want it to die!

Also~ My signature is my business. It says something about how I feel.

What's up with you not addressing my question and going off topic? What's up with that Dale Cooper? Why aren't you on the the subject of tattoos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top