U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM

2,750 posts, read 1,765,936 times

Advertisements

There is no universal standard for beauty. However, I've been a long time admirer of the female body.

I can tell you who is pretty, beautiful, cute, or gorgeous.

The models listed in the original photo are NOT that attractive to most men. The first is a little too thin and the second is dramatically too thin. That said, I do not go for what most women want to call "curvy". There is a disconnect between what a man means when he uses the term, and what a woman means. A woman at 5'0 and 110 may have all the curves needed. By the time she hits 120, she considers herself curvy and men consider her overweight. (Athletes removed from comparison)

I'm 6'0 and 180. I'm overweight. I'm not "curvy". I am a moderate athlete (bench press over 200lbs, curl 50lbs in one hand), but I'm still over weight. At the end of the day, my belly sticks out a couple inches. It isn't a curve, it's just belly fat. I don't kid myself. My wife is 5'0 and 110. She is absolutely beautiful. I couldn't be luckier. Her personality is even better. Ultimately, the looks will attract the man, but the person will keep him happily married.

Generally speaking, men and women won't be able to use the same terms because the men want to describe an ideal and the women want to be that ideal. I thought I'd be able to find images with a quick google search. But most are not fitting for a forum post. The quick method is this. A woman considers herself curvy if her belly has a curve. A man considers her curvy if she fits into a size six or smaller and has large breasts. It's not a realistic standard for most people to attain, but it explains the gap between what men mean and what women mean. 200 pounds is not curvy, it is morbidly obese (unless she is incredibly tall, like WNBA tall). Most men are not looking for morbidly obese, most women are not looking for that either.

Props to the OP for finding pictures of women that were significantly less appealing for looking like hungry twelve year old boys. I can assure all women on here, that the vast majority of men are not attracted to that. If they are attracted to that, the issue is vastly larger than their taste in "women". That second picture really could be a tall starved boy with his hair pulled back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,523,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
This what I'm talking about, he said one incidence, LOL. He must be one of these men that's in the company of more 'refined' men then.
Maybe... But JJs post refers to her experience working in an auto dealership, which has scientifically been proven to be staffed by the highest percentage of absolute scumbags than any other business enviroment, so thats not much of a fair example of how most men talk about women.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:32 PM

3,516 posts, read 2,964,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
There is no universal standard for beauty. However, I've been a long time admirer of the female body.

The models listed in the original photo are NOT that attractive to most men. The first is a little too thin and the second is dramatically too thin. That said, I do not go for what most women want to call "curvy". There is a disconnect between what a man means when he uses the term, and what a woman means. A woman at 5'0 and 110 may have all the curves needed. By the time she hits 120, she considers herself curvy and men consider her overweight. (Athletes removed from comparison)

I'm 6'0 and 180. I'm overweight. I'm not "curvy". I am a moderate athlete (bench press over 200lbs, curl 50lbs in one hand), but I'm still over weight. At the end of the day, my belly sticks out a couple inches. It isn't a curve, it's just belly fat. I don't kid myself. My wife is 5'0 and 110. She is absolutely beautiful. I couldn't be luckier. Her personality is even better. Ultimately, the looks will attract the man, but the person will keep him happily married.

Generally speaking, men and women won't be able to use the same terms because the men want to describe an ideal and the women want to be that ideal. I thought I'd be able to find images with a quick google search. But most are not fitting for a forum post. The quick method is this. A woman considers herself curvy if her belly has a curve. A man considers her curvy if she fits into a size six or smaller and has large breasts. It's not a realistic standard for most people to attain, but it explains the gap between what men mean and what women mean. 200 pounds is not curvy, it is morbidly obese (unless she is incredibly tall, like WNBA tall). Most men are not looking for morbidly obese, most women are not looking for that either.

Props to the OP for finding pictures of women that were significantly less appealing for looking like hungry twelve year old boys. I can assure all women on here, that the vast majority of men are not attracted to that. If they are attracted to that, the issue is vastly larger than their taste in "women". That second picture really could be a tall starved boy with his hair pulled back.
And you were doing so well until the last paragraph. You managed to talk about the body type you find attractive without horribly insulting millions of women and then, KERSPLAT!

I don't know what kind of 12 year old boys YOU hang out with, but they tend not to be 33-23-34 with vaginas. Those young women look absolutely nothing like men and no one would make that mistake.

But as long as we're defining an entire gender by our personal physical preferences...Women are only attracted to REAL men. REAL men are between 5'10 and 6'4. Short guys just look like little girls, seriously, just put a wig on them and they would easily pass for pretty little princesses. And taller than that? Ick, they're a little better but real women aren't attracted to bean poles. REAL men are supposed to have abs, not nasty guts that stick out. I don't know what man thinks a woman would be attracted to him when he looks like he's sporting a pregnant belly. Between the moobs and guts, most men these days look just like pregnant women and 90% of women find that disgusting.

I can assure all men out there that most women are not attracted flabby pregnant women that look like munchkins or giants and any woman that is has serious issues beyond her taste in "men."

Old 09-30-2012, 01:08 PM

19,126 posts, read 15,180,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post

I've found that most men couldn't pinpoint a woman's weight if they tried, and a lot of them would be REALLY surprised at what a woman actually weighs. I got in an argument with an old coworker of mine because he thought I weighed around 160 and I actually weighed 215...I was a comfortable size 13/14 at the time at 6'1 (I'm a woman, btw). I ended up weighing myself on a packing scale in my shipping/receiving dept and he still couldn't believe it. People carry their weight differently, especially women. At 160 my ribs and hip bones are showing and I start looking a bit gaunt, it's just my skeletal structure and body type. I look my best at around 180, and most people peg me around 150 or so at that weight which always cracks me up. My pants size will never go lower than a size 9/10 because my hip bones won't allow it. Even when I was 115 lbs I still wore a size 9, though it was a bit baggy in the leg area

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Maybe... But JJs post refers to her experience working in an auto dealership, which has scientifically been proven to be staffed by the highest percentage of absolute scumbags than any other business enviroment, so thats not much of a fair example of how most men talk about women.
It also happened at a private jet facility (celebrities and ridiculously rich people were our regular clients) and at a medical electronics facility. And at a big box home improvement store...actually, that one was one of the worst.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 PM

1,243 posts, read 625,278 times
I don't know....but I'm a simple man. My long standing rule is this: The girl I'm dating must not weigh more than I do, 185lbs. There are exceptions of course, I'm not going to turn down the love of my life because she is 186lbs. I don't dislike "fat" women, as I've gotten older I've been able to see beauty in most women regardless of shape, size, weight or style. It's there, just be open-minded and less insecure. Being in the Army I'm at ground-zero for stereotyping and judging women. Please, all we do is degrade, bash and discuss in great detail all types of women. I've noticed that among my peers (fellow soldiers) that they all have very unrealistic standards. One particular friend of mine has it stuck in his mind that he MUST date only super thin "attractive" girls. He is married to one and she is the craziest ***** I have ever met in my life. Another is married to a similar thin, beautiful woman and is quick to point out the flaws of every single girl outthere. He's the kind of guy that would nitpick Audrey Hepburn. Yet, even he, while drunk at a stripclub was groping and oggling the riff raff that that particular establishment had to offer. In the end, guys are self concious of what their peers think. In truth, they are much more tolerant of all types then they like to lead on. I myself have given up on that type of "standard", I've come to realize that limiting yourself to only a small sample size of looks and "attractiveness" gets you nowhere. Dating based on that never works. I've also learned (and this may be a generalization) that women coveted for their looks tend to only care for themselves, aren't realistic, mature and have insane entitlement issues. I no longer put looks first. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and date Janet Reno, but I am less worried about how "hot" a girl is. Looks are fleeting and subjective anyway. It's the substance that comes from within that makes everyone who they truly are that is most important.

For the record: I'm more attracted to the Christina Hendricks' of the world. As a kid, I loved Neve Campbell as if she were a goddess. I much prefer curves.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,050,669 times
Men are all different. It is difficult to generalize what a man prefers...because some men like larger women, some prefer anorexic types.

But the fashion industry is dominated by mainly gay males. Is it any wonder that the type of models they prefer are women with the body of a pubescent boy?

Old 09-30-2012, 01:39 PM

13,229 posts, read 10,887,386 times
Quote:
But the fashion industry is dominated by mainly gay males. Is it any wonder that the type of models they prefer are women with the body of a pubescent boy?
People keep saying this, as if high fashion models have anything to do with some men in the fashion industry being gay. Tall, thin runway models are almost exclusively there because they look good in the clothes. High fashion has more to do with artistry than wearability, and designers want long, lean lines to emphasize the clothes. Male fashion models are similarly lean--they're not bulked up or stocky.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-30-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 PM

3,516 posts, read 2,964,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Men are all different. It is difficult to generalize what a man prefers...because some men like larger women, some prefer anorexic types.

Why are people so eager to regurgitate the hateful, ignorant propaganda they're fed? In just a few sentences you managed to:

1. Accuse thin women of having an eating disorder
2. Call thin women little boys
3. Declare all gay men pedophiles

Do you not think, even for a moment, before clicking submit?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:23 PM

3,301 posts, read 3,761,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Not this one or most of the men I know..

Here you go.. The 100 sexiest women in the world voted for by British men. How many 'thin' ones do you find here? FHM's 100 Sexiest Women In The World 2012: The full list! | Girls | FHM.com

I love that #1 looks like me. That look would never be number #1 in the US, I'm glad the exotic look is appreciated in Europe

You never see women like that represented here.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:37 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,738,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're real close, here, to saying that Gay males are pedos. Thin ice!!!

BTW, the Fashion Industry is, in reality, dominated by the exact same group as the Entertainment Industry, International Banking, The Diamond Industry, and the Publishing Industry. Ever heard of the Garment District? Ever look at the names of who owns the fashion mags parent companies? Ever look at the makeup of the boards of the corporations owning the big labels? Ever look at the ownership of the parent companies of the big fashion retailers? That is a group (of which I am a peripheral member) defined by an ethno-religious affiliation, rather than being defined by a sexual preference.

Ever read Ralph Lauren's real name? (BTW, he is, to my knowledge, completely hetero).

Oh, and here's a photo of Gianni Versace with his lover, who was 'in the will', and is allowed to live in any of the Versace Homes, for the rest of his life. By the time they met, Gianni could have afforded anyone he wanted. This is who he wanted. Presumably, this is that Fashion Designer's ideal. Antonio d'Amicco looks NOTHING like a 'pubescent boy' http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-42QyUgh5po...d%27amicco.jpg .

My Decorator once showed me the man a certain household-name designer (I forget if it was Bill Blass or Geoffrey Beene) was reputed to be keeping. He was a massive, ultra-masculine bodybuilder, well into his thirties, and a nude physique model, until the Designer made him a better offer. He was one hell of a man, and about as far from a 'pubescent boy' as you can get.

Put yourself into the mind of a Gay designer. He is (or was, until he learned to mask it) probably pretty femmy. All his life, he's been made to feel that he's subnormal/undesirable, because he's 'like a girl'. Naturally (if you subscribe to the 'Sexual Importation' theory of sexual attraction, which I do: basically, during formation of one's sexual preference, one seeks to import the qualities one lacks, through one's Sex Object), he is going to idealize and become attracted to the exact opposite of 'like a girl'. The exact opposite of 'like a girl' is the big he-man.

I've never really conversed with a fashion designer. A couple have been around at my fittings. But that's about it. We've stayed at the Principe di Savoia during Fashion Week, but the designers staying there are too busy to hobnob. However, I do know a lot of Gay men in creative professions and in fashion retail.

I remember tales of the local 'fashion mogul' in a Mississippi Delta town, who kept a big, blond bodybuilder who was a cop (and reportedly, just 'huuuuuuuge'). He built the cop is own private gym, and absolutely worshiped the guy. Basically, he was paying a fortune to have a viable 'father figure' of his very own.

My Decorator's 'dream team' includes Bill Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Toby Keith, Brett Favre, and a bunch of big, hairy steroid monsters you've never heard of. He considers 'boyish' celebs like Leonardo diCaprio and Brad Pitt to be ugly little "twinks".

My Ad/PR Man has a different set of big, hairy he-man idols. He switched Personal Trainers, when his big, stappin' redneck bubba Trainer became a (moderately famous) fitness model, and got 'shaped eyebrows' and collagen injections in his lips. "Sorry, but he looks like a girl, now. I can't stand to look at him."

I find it very telling that when my effeminate Gay friends are dumbstruck by some spectacular man, their near-universal utterance is, "DADDY!!!".

Sorry, but if you're looking for pedos, the Fashion Industry is probably not the place. But if you are lookin', the name 'Sandusky' might be a good starting point...

PS: It just dawned on me that you might have meant something entirely different. Did you mean that models who look like 'pubescent boys' look like the designers themselves looked, when they first started experimenting with women's chlothes? Thus, the body of the Model could reflect the Designer's own subconscious body image. The choice would be about affinity, rather than about sexual attraction. That, I could accept. Apologies, if I misunderstood.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-30-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty