U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,173,562 times

Advertisements

My daughter recently became engaged, so I have beeing watching shows like Say Yes to the Dress etc., and all they show are strapless gowns. Do they still have alternative tops, or is this all the are making nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,731,620 times
Gowns with straps ARE available... and straps can be added to just about any style.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:49 PM

21,470 posts, read 22,713,045 times
True, but strapless/sleeveless isn't a good look on every woman, or she might just want something different from what every woman on Say Yes to the Dress has.

My friend who got married this summer forwarded her bridesmaids this article: Strapless wedding gowns: They’re unflattering. Why are they so popular? Section: DoubleX - Slate Magazine

Quote:
More diversity in wedding dress styles wouldn’t just help sleeve-loving shoppers like me. At the risk of alienating virtually every married woman I know, I maintain that pulling off a strapless dress is no easy feat. Other common problems that the strapless dress presents? Visible tan lines. Spillover cleavage. Pouches of skin that bunch around the armpits. Stick-figure arms. Uniboobs. Generalized sagginess. And having a good figure alone doesn’t guarantee you’ll look great in a strapless style. One colleague, already thin and in shape when she got engaged, detailed the extensive workout regime she underwent to ensure her arms were strapless-ready. While I have known gorgeous brides who’ve pulled off their bare shoulders with flair, why does the bridal industry expect women to fawn at the chance to wear the one style of neckline that is far from universally flattering?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-28-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
My daughter recently became engaged, so I have beeing watching shows like Say Yes to the Dress etc., and all they show are strapless gowns. Do they still have alternative tops, or is this all the are making nowadays?
There are some magnificent, gorgeous traditional wedding gowns out there. Google "modest wedding gowns" and you will see for yourself.

My wedding gown (1st marriage) had long sleeves and a very modest neckline. My thoughts are that if you are saying vows before "God", then you really shouldn't look like a tart.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-28-2012, 02:54 PM

306 posts, read 472,020 times
Quote:

They are the "most made" because they are the easiest to make take apart and alter.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,763,821 times
Quote:

It's the Vera Wang effect. Her designs are generally strapless. I agree, it is the look right now.

I was married in the 1980s when gowns were very frou frou - mine had a high collar and an illusion neckline.

I think I've seen dressed that mimic Kate Middleton's rather conservative dress.

Young woman today spend a lot of time at the gym and like to show off their arms. That might be another reason.

I also think that it's a very classic look. Personally, I would have looked better in it than the one I had!

Do you like it?

Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
No matter what the current style is a strapless dress be it wedding or other event is not always the best choice for some women. They look fabulous on some and not so fabulous on others, that being said any dress can be altered a bit for personal preferance. Straps can be added, a small jacket of some sort, sleeves, a lace covering, whatever it takes to keep the basic look/style of the dress yet make the bride feel comfortable and beautiful.

Congratulations to your daughter.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,763,821 times
Quote:
Congrats!!!! I am so happy for you! May I suggest Light in the Box? It's an online weding dress outlet that has a variety of styles with many lovely gowns under $300.

Today girls are spending SO much on a dress - money that could be used for a down payment.
I am all for looking beautiful on your wedding day, bit it seemd to me that NO ONE needs a dress that cost over $ 1000. And even THAT'S stretching it.

My humble opinion.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:08 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Congrats!!!! I am so happy for you! May I suggest Light in the Box? It's an online weding dress outlet that has a variety of styles with many lovely gowns under $300.

Today girls are spending SO much on a dress - money that could be used for a down payment.
I am all for looking beautiful on your wedding day, bit it seemd to me that NO ONE needs a dress that cost over $ 1000. And even THAT'S stretching it.

My humble opinion.
Mine was $250.00, JC Penney catalog, 1983.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,156,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Mine was $250.00, JC Penney catalog, 1983.
Got mine at a sale for even less than that. And if I do say so myself, I was a beautiful bride! Of course, no one even noticed the dress - they were blinded by my smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty