U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 PM

9 posts, read 30,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm not talking moo-moos or aprons...I mean clothes like shirts, blouses, dresses, whatever.

I have been plus size (on the low end) for years but finding NICE clothes in natural fibers that don't break the bank is very difficult.

Recently I had to go get a few things and it took me forever. I wound up at Kmart buying a few items from the Jackelyn Smith collection.

Where do you plus ladies buy your clothes? What are your thoughts on quality?
Personally I hate artificial fabrics like polyester and so on.

I order from Woman Within (Lane Bryant) sometimes and they have a good choice of casual things but often it's hard to buy this way (if it doesn't fit you have to reship it back...).
I like JC Penney and Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,036,503 times
I think the quality is bad because the fashion standard is to be thin. Even if you buy higher end plus sized clothing made by some designers, the selection will never be as vast at the regular and petite sizes. Plus sizes use more material, so they cost more to make, and typically do cost more. Wearing plus sizes is a pain and a good incentive to lose weight to get back to a size 16 or lower. You may more for less selection and often worse quality. Finding good stuff on sales is difficult as well.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:39 PM

4,791 posts, read 12,896,137 times
Yeah, as a crossdresser, when I reached size 16 the clothes selection was so depressing! I then resolved to lose weight and after 5030 miles of biking / 2 years I became a size 4! When I was size 8 and lower the clothes selection of beautiful sexy clothes just exploded from ebay, thrift, and regular stores!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 PM

4,268 posts, read 13,712,106 times
What sux is all the plus size clothes from the labels are the "crappy" styles. I think when I see the "skinny outfits" that they could possibly look good on me and when I go over to the plus size to see if they have the same one, nope, just all the ugly "old lady" clothes with the cheesy pastel flower prints. Blech!

Don't get me wrong, every once in a while I'll find good stuff but damn it's depressing.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:30 AM

15 posts, read 19,057 times
"Dress Barn" (www.dressbarn.com has some nice looking clothing. Shirts, blouses, casual tops, skirts, sweaters and sweater sets, pants, shorts, dresses.... everything imaginable- a fully stocked women's store. I know they are located on the west coast, although not sure if in other areas. Specifically, quite a selection of nice blouses in NICE materials and colors... patterns included. I'm big on the top and I like a nice oversized shirt with a nice "line" that I can wear out or work in without looking like I raided my father's closet. Most all of their clothing looks classy, like the petite outfits you would find in a department store. And what's more, I found them quite reasonaby priced.. Nice jeans in different hues- between 20-30.00. Beautiful sweaters for around 30.00. Sweaters that look as nice as Alfred Dunn (sp) at J.C. Penney, for example. And they have a bargain rack. I needed to replenish my long sleeved shirt inventory recently and picked up 8 assorted pastel colored blouses for a grand total of 35.00 including tax. The other stores that posters have listed here are good sources too.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 AM

4,268 posts, read 13,712,106 times
Meh. I don't like Dressbarn. their clothes fit me funny and my personal opinion is I don' tthink the quality is all that great. Jones of NY, now they're quality is pretty good, IMO.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:46 PM

4,791 posts, read 12,896,137 times
"plus style" companies don't have a good sense of style! When Lane Bryant bought the Petite Sophisticate name - the store they opened all had Lane Bryant bland type styles. I miss the beautiful sexy petite style they used to have.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:12 PM

15 posts, read 122,153 times
I don't think the poor quality has everything to do with size. If you go to PacSun, I don't think they carry anything bigger than a nine..their t-shirts are paper thin! It is dissapointing to say the least.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,327 times
Default Slim Pickens for Cute, Comfy Plus Size Clothes....

I hear you!

Sometimes it's the lesser-known plus size clothing companies that try harder to offer more fashion-forward plus size clothing that fits...like MakingitBig.com, Monifc.com, IGiGi.com, JJill.com (I kid you not!) or Kiyonna.com.

And I think that's because these particular plus size clothing companies haven't become complacent yet, like the BIG plus size retailers who think that they've got a corner on the Plus Size market and stop caring about providing fashion-forward designs, attractive, durable fabrics and that little-something-extra design wise.

MakingitBig.com, which by the way has been creating designer Plus Size clothing using the talents of their own in-house designers for over 25+ years, offers everything from trendy, casual and classic styling with super high quality fabrics (most of them natural fibers too!) like wool, wool blends, linen, 100% cotton, etc. They also incorporate some really great batik, hand-painted and embellished fabrics into their collection each season.

Monifc.com, has a great selection of glamorous dresses for special occasions, as well as some super-glam jumpsuits. Not for everyone, but if you're a plus size woman who wants to live the "glamorous life", Monifc.com will help you do that.

IGiGi.com has a small selection, but what they do have really flatters a full-figured woman and why not?! Men prefer full-figured women so why not flant it?! It's only the fashion magazines and fashion designers (and the poor shoppers who believe them!) that want women to look like skinny boys instead of women anyway. And you just have to glance at a men's girlie magazine on the newsstand to KNOW that's true!

JJill.com sells plus size clothing (they call it "womens")! Yes...it's true but you're best bet is to shop online and save yourself the embarrassment of dealing with their snotty, super-thin retail associates. Plus you have a much better chance of getting the exact color and size you want if you shop online instead of in their retail stores. One girl at J. Jill actually told me one time..."We only offer a few larger sizes in our stores as a courtesy." And you can bet I left and went home and shopped their store online after that.

Kiyonna.com has a young, fresh look with a hip, fashionista sensibility.
And here's a hint: buy your wardrobe basics at the online shops selling plus sizes but then knock yourself out buying high-fashion accessories from the non-plus-size-stores. A couple of my favs for accessorizing my plus size clothing would be jcrew.com and anthropologie.com. They have super trendy necklaces, earrings and scarves.

With jcrew.com I'll check out their outfits each season, make a list of what they throw together to achieve a particular look and then go back to my plus size shops get the basic clothing (usually in black, brown, denim or navy with white blouses) and then create the same look by purchasing the chunky necklaces and fashion scarves sold at jcrew.com and anthropologie.com. I get quite a few compliments by achieving the same skinny-girl fashion looks this way.

Now that the "Boyfriend" look is back in style, it's a very easy look for plus size women to achieve...a good thing! So I've added some guy jeans and a man's black blazer to my Fall wardrobe and I'm ready to go.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:15 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,336,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm not talking moo-moos or aprons...I mean clothes like shirts, blouses, dresses, whatever.

I have been plus size (on the low end) for years but finding NICE clothes in natural fibers that don't break the bank is very difficult.

Recently I had to go get a few things and it took me forever. I wound up at Kmart buying a few items from the Jackelyn Smith collection.

Where do you plus ladies buy your clothes? What are your thoughts on quality?
Personally I hate artificial fabrics like polyester and so on.

I order from Woman Within (Lane Bryant) sometimes and they have a good choice of casual things but often it's hard to buy this way (if it doesn't fit you have to reship it back...).
I am an XL and buy most of my clothers at ColdWaterCreek.com. They have a multitude of sizes from petite to 4W. Their clothers are well made, fashionable, and beautiful. They have a multitude of stores throughout the USA. And if you order something the stores do not have, they sent it to you free-of-charge.

They also have a catalog you can order from. The secret is: If you see something that you like, wait until it goes on sale. They also have a HUGE outlet on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or