Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,566,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Sorry. Didnt mean to hurt your little feelings. Scarecrow might have been a little harsh. But yes what designers consider plus really is normal.
The average American woman wears a size 14 dress.
One-third of all American women wear a size 16 or larger.

The "ideal" woman--portrayed by models, Miss America, Barbie dolls, and screen actresses weighs 100 lbs, and wears a size 8.
Normal is not the same thing as healthy, which I believe is what sophialee meant. Approximately two-thirds of Americans are overweight. Just as I object to a comment that wearing a 14 or 16 means someone is a gross pig, I object to a comment that wearing less than that means someone is an anorexic scarecrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:40 AM

2,501 posts, read 6,300,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Totally agree....I knew a girl who was probably a size 16-18...she always had her clothes tailored or custom-made. She looked incredible all the time. She had her pick of the guys because (1) she was gorgeous and had a great personality; and (2) her confidence was incredibly amazing and very attractive.
IMO. You always look better when your clothes fit YOU. No matter what size you are. Also just because its in style doesnt mean YOU should wear it. When your clothes fit it helps you be more confident cause youre not focused on adjusting your pieces and parts. Being comfortable with who you are helps too.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,849,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Sorry. Didnt mean to hurt your little feelings. Scarecrow might have been a little harsh. But yes what designers consider plus really is normal.
The average American woman wears a size 14 dress.
One-third of all American women wear a size 16 or larger.

The "ideal" woman--portrayed by models, Miss America, Barbie dolls, and screen actresses weighs 100 lbs, and wears a size 8.
I've heard the same thing too. What really makes no sense at all is how you can go into any clothing dept and only a tiny fraction of the space, maybe 2-3 racks is devoted to plus size clothes and 3/4 of the rest of ladies dept is in sizes 0-12. Seems like the retailers have it backwards. They could probably pull themselves out of a bad economy by stocking a load of nice plus size clothes. Women would swarm into the stores if they found out they could get their size.

And yes as a fattie I agree I need to lose weight. I only gained weight after extended illness, injury, taking prednisone and then not being able to exercise. I used to hike 5 miles a day! Well yeah I've lost 20 lbs but I'm still in plus sizes at the moment. It would be darn nice to be able to get some EXERCISE clothes in my size. Would be nice if companies like Addidas, Nike, Under Armour & Reebok would make us little tubbies something to work out in. I hate have to go to the men's dept to get a xxl item.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:19 PM

85 posts, read 316,319 times
I lost weight because I was so sick of the quality of clothing available. It was heartbreaking for me, at a size 14. No nice cuts, bad fit, etc. They just don't seem to get that women don't gain weight the same way. The fat hate culture really doesn't help. Designers have no idea how to dress a woman that isn't a six. They choose patterns that make you look bigger, which boggles my mind. You may have a very small waist and bigger hips, or vice versa. I went to JC Penney's and Mervyns alot. Also, Maurices is good for some things. It has alot of problems in the dresses and skirts, but at least you can find a good pair of jeans and a top.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Totally agree....I knew a girl who was probably a size 16-18...she always had her clothes tailored or custom-made. She looked incredible all the time. She had her pick of the guys because (1) she was gorgeous and had a great personality; and (2) her confidence was incredibly amazing and very attractive.
This is well and good if you have money but many of us don't have a lot of it.

I hate the fact so many plus sizes come in blue, brown, grey or black. I finally, finally see pretty colored bras as reasonable prices in some catalogs (normally it was black or ivory or maybe pink).

Even Old Navy is carrying some more plus size clothes.

And, I do hate the 'myth' all heavy people do is sit around eating. I exercise 5 times a week in addition to walking my dog at least half an hour a day and I am constantly on the move.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,455,713 times
Women who are heavy need to "invest" in good quality pieces from higher end designers. And focus on the quality and weight of the material, the fit and the cut. And not focus on having a large quantity of cheaply made clothes.

Many designers have a plus size version of their lines:

Anne Klein
Jones New York
Calvin Klein
Ralph Lauren
Eileen Fisher
Tahari
David Meister
Lafayette 148

just to name a few...

Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,285,581 times
lose weight if you don't like the clothes?

just saying...

b/c I don't think the clothes are really gonna change anytime soon, so the only thing you can change is yourself.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I just find it irritating that men are allowed to come in different height and weight combos and unless they are over 6'4" and over 300 pounds they can shop in the "regular" sections - in addition - alterations are INCLUDED for men's slacks and suit jackets - not women

Why do we tolerate this????
it's the same on the other end of the spectrum, as well...I'm short and very thin...I can only get things in petite sections, I can't shop in regular womens section...and the juniors stuff is so young looking. It's the same for plus-size or petite.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
So now plus size is "normal" and if you aren't plus size you're a "scarecrow"? And poor to boot? Who knew?
I know! I must be an anorexic bum!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
August Max Woman is good. Talbots, maybe. You can find them at stores like Mervyns Ross, Marshall's TJ Max. Kohls has plus size Ralph Lauren Chaps. That's good for well made tailored basics. The specialty stores like Avenue and Lane Bryant can be a little pricey, but it IS a specialty store, they're almost always cost more. I think there's a company called Roman's. And try Spiegel. As you can see from the list, a lot of choices for plus size women's clothes, but for quality, you'll have to put forth a bit more effort in the search.
August Max Woman went out of business in 2003.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty