U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 07:20 AM

53 posts, read 111,483 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if the Americans follow the same fashion as the French...?
So not, you get dressed how?
++!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,164,204 times
I think some Americans (slender ones) follow French fashion.
I have a son living in France and he enjoys some European clothing.
But the dollar is weak now, and those high-concept clothes can be expensive.
Reims is a lovely city--good Champagne, too.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:25 AM

OOH YES!!, the champagne it's very good!lol

It's true, it's expensive, you do not have particular mode, you do not have at each seasons of the different modes which are to be put during this period if one does not want to pass for old-fashioned??

Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 PM

2,945 posts, read 11,939,494 times
It is quite okay to have just a few beautifully selected pieces that can be mixed with other pieces. You can acheive elegance, be in high fashion, and yet not break the bank.

I also learned never wear cheap shoes -- it will ruin a perfect ensamble. :-)

Old 10-08-2007, 04:18 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,988,157 times
Also I think 'American' clothes are very casual and are all about comfort. I don't think style or following trends is on the top of the list. I think what's trendy to us has a somewhat watered down look when compared to whats trendy in other countries. I've had friends from as far away as Switzerland to Nigeria and even India and most of them are surprised that sweatshirts, windbreakers and sneakers are worn on a daily basis here (not just for exercising). Its not that we're sloppy or have bad taste, but we are the leaders when it comes to this ability to make casual clothes trendy. Most of my non-american friends will opt for a blouse/ skirt or slacks over jeans and flip flops. Part of the reason is that you have to consider the history/culture behind the clothes. Jeans are so American in the sense that there's the whole 'western' influence to it- 'cowboys' and ranchhands originally wore them for work and somehow they seemed to make its way into American fashion. Also Im not saying that every one here wears jeans and tshirts to work but I think alot of our trendiest American pieces have some sort of casual influence to it.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:05 AM

15 posts, read 43,564 times
Smile style is so key

Although I have seen many people that are apparently unconcerned with their appearance (as evidenced by their ill-fitting, ugly clothes), I like to get dressed up everyday. It's so important to look your best when you are out in public. My clothing choices are dictated by what is current, what is cute, and what is flattering to my body shape. I don't mind buying trendy costume jewelry because it is generally inexpensive, but a few really good accessories can carry an outfit.

Oh, and by the way, if you know someone who is wearing out-of-shape, faded, or ill-fitting clothes, you have a responsibility to tell them in a very gentle and tactful way that there are other clothes in their closet that would be a much better choice for that day's ensemble.

Last edited by phillyfemme444; 10-09-2007 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 AM

13,433 posts, read 24,216,791 times
Trop cher! Too expensive. I would love to dress in couture clothes but the cost is prohibitive. I think most Europeans dress better than Americans but the Americans are more comfortable. I think more of us buy quality bags and shoes than clothing.

I work in an industry where no one would care or even notice if I came to work in pajamas. So it makes no sense for me to invest in nice clothes. I have a few things for my own special occasion wear but that's all.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:19 AM

If I understood well (I do not know...: -/) for the Americans, the fashion is secondary?

In France it is not funny, if you get dressed in a different way that the fashion, one looks at you curiously... (only in the big cities...) It's really bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or