Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

This is cool!

Quote:
Adama Paris says the label “black fashion” refers to a movement rather than a colour of skin. “This is not a fashion show by black people, for black people,” she says. “It’s part of a movement, like “black music” and “black art”, and it is inclusive of all the people that are drawn to it.”

As evidence, she points to the list of Black Fashion Week’s featured designers, which include European, Tunisian and Moroccan designers who are not black. “Not all of Africa is black, and not all black people come from Africa,” she notes.
Black Fashion Week shakes up Paris couture - FASHION - FRANCE 24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
I want to like this, I want to get on board, but I can't. Just look at the picture at the beginning of the article:

http://www.france24.com/en/files/ima...ion-week-m.jpg

OP, would you really wear those MC Hammer pants 2nd from the right? Or imagine the far right dress in a solid color, or appreciate it as is: would you wear it? Or have you gotten past the year 1992?

I like the idea but these designers are horrible.

It is an embarrassment to black people to claim that these unfortunate designers have been "shut out" of the current fashion scene. Knowing how to dress is the best stereotype we have, don't take that awat buy claiming this ridiculously crappy clothes haven't been promoted due to racial bias.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Whoops, this isn't even a real article. Probably planted by the sh*ty designer herself.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 AM

LOL! I'll wait till the official pics come out. There was a really cool online magazine about fashion in Africa, it had great photos. But it folded.

I generally don't actually see many clothes I like from the fashion weeks. But who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and the whole show won't be about "tribal prints" and daishikis or whatever.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 PM

484 posts, read 854,674 times
Sounds very bias. IF a person who was white had White fashion week in paris sure they would be considered bias. I feel instead of adding race - religion - nationality - Lets just call it FASHION WEEK and let EVERYONE be a peaceful part of it.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
Sounds very bias. IF a person who was white had White fashion week in paris sure they would be considered bias. I feel instead of adding race - religion - nationality - Lets just call it FASHION WEEK and let EVERYONE be a peaceful part of it.
There already is a white fashion week. It's called fashion week, ever heard of it?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
There already is a white fashion week. It's called fashion week, ever heard of it?
WRONG...... Fashion week is a compilation of all race. religion, nationalities and sexes.

show me where it says only whites can be a part of this event

Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Meh. Fashion week is white. We still have to count the non white models and designers and the numbers are abysmal. Many designers do not use models of any ethnicity claiming they don't fit the look they are going for. Let's not even talk about the lack of Asians in any form or Latinas that represent the common look for their country.

I think this year's stat was 4 % of models were non white.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Meh. Fashion week is white. We still have to count the non white models and designers and the numbers are abysmal. Many designers do not use models of any ethnicity claiming they don't fit the look they are going for. Let's not even talk about the lack of Asians in any form or Latinas that represent the common look for their country.

I think this year's stat was 4 % of models were non white.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

and black fashion week is all black so two wrongs don't make it right. I see a lot of colorful people in fashion world on the runway design team etc.

I guess you dont read WWD there is a laundry list of latino and asian designers.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
I don't know about white or black fashion week,but what about fat fashion week?
On both,everyone is skinny. What,us fatties don't wear clothes? Sheesh...

Ok,but really,on fashion week,I want to see every size,color,race,nationality,and body types included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty