Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes and no. We have changes a little bit, and a certain type of ethnic is in style right now. But it is still pretty exclusionary, and "white centric."

We have now deemed "exotic" ethnic women are in style. Dark hair, dark eyes, "dark skin." But not too dark. In fact, barely darker than your average white person.

Technically, Padma Lakshmi represents this new "beautiful" as well as Eva Longoria, Jennifer Lopez, Sofia Vergara and Kim Kardashian but she doesn't get nearly the same amount of hype for her beauty. I wonder why?
Kim Kardashian looks like she has had work done on her face and when it's obvious you generally fall out of "being talked about". I didn't think she was known for her beauty either, maybe among the black community but I cannot speak for that.

I thought she was known for her family show and her bed-hopping abilities.

I think the look you are describing is the Victoria's Secret look, and I do agree that's whats the hot look right now. The half Brazilian half Swedish look. It may not be all inclusive, but it's a step in the right direction in terms of this country accepting something "ethnic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Padma.... (in comparison)
I really get the feeling (I'm a huge Top Chef fan) that she is a little more cerebral than actresses and reality stars. She genuinely seems like a foodie, and not a wannabe celebrity.

Looks wise? She is awesome.

And she comes across like she has a brain!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 PM

I think this is new standard in U.S areas that are considered diverse.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 PM

but this type will never go out of style either

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Kim Kardashian looks like she has had work done on her face and when it's obvious you generally fall out of "being talked about". I didn't think she was known for her beauty either, maybe among the black community but I cannot speak for that.
Weird. I hear about Kim K being "pretty" all the time. (and I think she is) like a real life "princess Jasmine" from all sorts of people. Well not the high fashion crowd because well she is popular for "trashy" behavior. But as for mainstream media? All the time.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I really get the feeling (I'm a huge Top Chef fan) that she is a little more cerebral than actresses and reality stars. She genuinely seems like a foodie, and not a wannabe celebrity.

Looks wise? She is awesome.

And she comes across like she has a brain!
She is one of my faves too. . And her cookbooks look tasty too.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
I don't feel as though there are standards, well, at least I don't hold any in my own opinion. I have preferences but I do not hold them as standard.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:29 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,958 times
I would disagree on the women one, because I see plenty of Brunettes in the media, but on the men, I do think there is a certain preference for tall white men, preferably from somewhere exotic but not too exotic, olive skinned, can speak the Romance languages.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelAgain View Post
ethnic as in southern european lol

w/e that is White
When I see someone who I consider attractive, usually I don't know their specific ethnic background. I live in Hawaii, white is a minority.

But when I refer to "ethnic" it is not white.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

I thought she was known for her family show and her bed-hopping abilities.

I think the look you are describing is the Victoria's Secret look, and I do agree that's whats the hot look right now. The half Brazilian half Swedish look. It may not be all inclusive, but it's a step in the right direction in terms of this country accepting something "ethnic".
Kim Kardashian has allowed herself to be degraded. She will do anything for attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty