Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

For me, shopping is a means to an end, like if I need a pair of black boots or new work clothes or whatever. It's generally not something I do for no reason, though sometimes with friends or my sisters we'll go wandering around the outlet mall or a shopping street because it gives us an excuse to ramble along and chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:25 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Not a huge shopping fan. If I NEED something, I'll go out and start the search, but it's not something I truly enjoy. Sometimes, I'll just browse, and if I find something really cute, I'll be happy to buy it. Shopping isn't a "past-time" of mine!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Shopping is hard work and I've earned everything my husband paid for.

And God bless the internet! (and UPS and FedEx and DHL and USPS. )

Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times
I love shopping.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:58 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
I have never understood the appeal of shopping. It's usually not fun to me, it's a chore.

The only exceptions have been (a) buying new clothes after losing weight and (b) buying stuff I needed when I bought a house. But just shopping for shopping's sake? Um, no, I'd rather see my savings balances go up!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:47 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
I pretty much hate to shop - especially for clothes and shoes. There are times when I enjoy shopping for books or art/craft supplies but that's about it.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times
If I'm in a store I love, I LOVE shopping!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times
Not big on shopping, but when I do, I usually hit places like Target and Ross. Not really into big brand names.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:13 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
I'm a big fan of shopping. I especially love antique shops.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I loathe it with a passion and cannot fathom why it is such a popular past-time. I would actually rather visit my dentist than spend an afternoon shopping. I buy things when I need them and try to buy good classic pieces which I can hopefully keep until they fall to pieces.

The concept of Fashion and trends eludes me utterly. I wear what I find attractive and what is comfortable for ME. What some overpaid fashionista thinks has no bearing whatsoever on my choices. This "season" and "last season" to me relate to actual seasons not trends.

I find shopping the most boring, tedious and vapid of past-times. I am a terrible consumer as I hardly ever buy anything and when I do a lot of the time I will buy second hand ( C-Ds, books, electronics, DVDs etc...) as I don't see why I need to have new stuff when second hand is perfectly fine , cheaper and greener. Clothes wise I do try to buy fair trade and environmentally friendly stuff when I can and that limits my options anyway which is a good thing.

I was forced to spend a day shopping recently with the wife of one of my Husband's colleagues and I wanted to chew my own foot off after about half an hour. She loved it and apparently goes shopping every single day. I can't even imagine how anyone could do that. A bookshop I can spend hours in ( reading in a comfy armchair usually) but clothes shopping ? Heck no. Almost anything would be more pleasant and interesting.

My ideal would be to find a few pieces which would last forever and never have to shop ever again. Internet shopping has made things easier but even that is painful truth be told.

My idea of heaven is NOT having to shop. Go the the Museum, Art Gallery, Theatre, Opera, Cinema, Concerts, etc... but shopping would be somewhere between a root canal and plastic surgery ( pretty much the bottom of the list basically...). Most men I know love this abnormal and aberrant behaviour in me though, my Husband thanks his lucky star that I have not got one shopaholic bone in my entire body ! He hates shopping almost as much as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty