U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 11:09 AM

666 posts, read 1,862,694 times

Advertisements

A good skin care regimen includes a water soluble cleanser, toner (without alcohol), serum, moisturizer, sunscreen, AHA/Retinol, or BHA product, and skin-lightening product (optional).

This is what I use (have fair oily/combination skin):
Eucerin Redness Relief Cleanser;
MD Formulations Moisture Defense Antioxidant Spray (toner);
Olay Regenerist Serum (niacinimide), La Roche Posay Active C (L ascorbic acid), or Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 10% (AHA, use it 3x per week); Peter Thomas Roth Ultra Gentle Skin Lightening Gel (hydroquinone);
Peter Thomas Roth Ultra Lite Oilfree 30 SPF sunscreen (as daytime moisturizer) and Roc Multicorrectional Night Treatment (with retinol at night)

I recently read Paula Beguoin's book "Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me" and found it to be very informative.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 03:57 PM

91 posts, read 101,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
There was recently a huge thing in the UK. The BBC aired a program that put these creams to the test and Boots No. 7 Protect and Perfect was shown to actually diminish wrinkles in 8-12 weeks. After that aired, people lined up at Boots all over (it is what in the US we would call a drug store) to buy it. It is available now in the US under the name Boots No. 7 Restore & Renew Serum. It is sold at Target and CVS. It sold out when it arrived at CVS in NYC back in July.

I have never tried it so I can't vouch for it. If you Google "Boots No. 7 Restore and Renew" you can read about it.
Oh yeah, I fell for that - hook, line and sinker!
Or else, my skin just did not react as others.
In fact, we went to Europe right after that aired in the USA. When we were in London, I spent 400 dollars on that stuff. I swear, it worked over night, and then - nada. It was as though the stuff just quit working. I still have tons of bottles left if anyone wants one. Hell, I'll send you the stuff. Maybe my skin is beyond repair!

Last edited by rubybelle; 03-24-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM

91 posts, read 101,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelongboatkey View Post
The best anti wrinkle cream is a good sunscreen. I use sunscreen everyday even if I'm hanging around the house. I had a pre-cancerous growth taken from my face years ago by a plastic surgeon and he scared the daylights out of me. Then a couple of years ago my dermatologist recommended that I use sunscreen at home since I use compact fluorecent bulbs. HUH??? I'e never heard of that, thank you for the update! Yikes! I may have some issues with my skin but wrinkles not at all and I hit the mid century mark last year. You must not be Irish or English like me.... Ha ha ha (you know, light, thin skin?)
Please keep us informed to the light sitch, I've never heard of that.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:14 PM

973 posts, read 2,906,029 times
What makes finding a good anti-aging regimen so hard is the plethora of information out there and trying to decipher it all. It is difficult to cut through the advertising and scientific names for ingrediants and discover what really works and is somewhat affordable.

Can somebody just point me to some day/night creams or serums that have EVERYTHING I need to hold Father Time at bay. It would be nice to whiddle it down to no more than 2 products to use each day since I'm sure there isn't a product that has everything listed below. Of course, if anybody knows of a product that has it all, I'm all ears!

AHA
Matrixyl 3000
Copper Peptides
Antioxidants
Retinol
Collagen and Elastin boosters

Half of this stuff I listed are probably the same thing but who can keep up with what is what. It's so confusing.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 PM

111 posts, read 215,544 times
There is really no cream that will get rid of wrinkles, ask any dermatologist. There are creams or lotions that will fill lines in and work on discolorations of the skin, which may help a person look younger.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubybelle View Post
Oh yeah, I fell for that - hook, line and sinker!
Or else, my skin just did not react as others.
In fact, we went to Europe right after that aired in the USA. When we were in London, I spent 400 dollars on that stuff. I swear, it worked over night, and then - nada. It was as though the stuff just quit working. I still have tons of bottles left if anyone wants one. Hell, I'll send you the stuff. Maybe my skin is beyond repair!
According to the book I read "Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me", Boots actually paid the university that did this study for the research which means they had a vested interest. Also the study was blind, vs doubleblind, so the researchers knew who was getting the treatment which taints the study. It is mostly made of silicones which makes the skin feel silky, but does little else. The Vit C is minimal and an ineffective type, the antioxidants are few and the clear glass container that it comes in will compromise the stability of what Vit C and Vit A it contains as these require opaque packaging to keep them stable.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesFex View Post
There is really no cream that will get rid of wrinkles, ask any dermatologist. There are creams or lotions that will fill lines in and work on discolorations of the skin, which may help a person look younger.
This is a very good point. The best thing you can do is use a good sunscreen which will keep future damage to a minimum and allow the skin to heal somewhat from past damage. You can also improve texture and discoloration to a certain extent with certain products, and plump up the wrinkles temporarily with a moisturizer.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,459 times
Default This cream works, been using it for 8 years now

I use Wrinkle Raiders and been using it for about eight years. I found this product after reading Dr. Perricone's <u>The Wrinke Cure</u>; he recommends a cream w/alpha lipoic acid, vitamin C ester, and DMAE. His products were quite expensivie though. Wrinkle Raiders has all three ingredients and isn't as pricey. I'm a 41 year old man and most people think I'm in my late twenties. Normally men don't think too much about wrinkles, but I want to look as young as possible as long as possible; call me vain. The small winkles around my eyes are less noticiable now then they were 8 years ago when I started using Wrinkle Raiders. The DMAE has an almost instant effect. After putting it on I have to look real hard in the mirror to see any trace of crow's feet around my eyes. I tell everybody about this product. The website WrinkleRaiders.com usually has a buy one get one free. Sometimes by two get two free. They always change the deal, but it usually is a good one.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,293,340 times
Preparation H, LOL!

(A pharmacist once told me they had a problem with it being shoplifted for that reason... apparently it "shinks tissue"... including wrinkles.)

Warning: No idea if this is true... never tried it... don't do it unless you're sure.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM

22,694 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Preparation H, LOL!

(A pharmacist once told me they had a problem with it being shoplifted for that reason... apparently it "shinks tissue"... including wrinkles.)

Warning: No idea if this is true... never tried it... don't do it unless you're sure.
I heard that years ago. Some people swear by it, some say it doesn't work and others have had a bad reaction to it. It seems that Biodyne, an ingredient in the original formula, has been removed from Preparation H in the US. You can get the good stuff un Canada.

"If you are referring to the original preparation H cream with BIODYNE (not available in the USA, but from Canada) this stuff is incredible for bags under the eyes..."

Bags under your eyes -- Preparation H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty