U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:11 PM

275 posts, read 1,052,914 times

Advertisements

My hand skin looks older than my age. I think it may be because I often expose my hand to water (e.g. when washing food when cooking meals, washing hand, ...), and to the dry air in a heated room in winter, and possibly to sunlight, etc. So I wonder how I can care my hand skin?

If I apply some cream to my hand, how can I prevent the cream go into my food when cooking and eating?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 06:30 PM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
now my grandmother and aunt swore by this .. she would get linen gloves the white kind you wore on special occasions way back when .. she would apply vaseline to her hands and then wear the gloves overnight and in the am take them off and your hands will be so soft you wont believe it and then wash the gloves in the washer and dry them . good luck .

Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,716,950 times
Use hand cream....wash before eating, if you're afraid of it getting into your food. It won't hurt you, if it does, tho. Re-apply after eating.

Hands take a beating, if they're in water and detergent a lot. Just keep applying the moisturizing cream. It really absorbs into your skin, and unless you eat everything with your hands, you'll be fine. If you don't use utensils, wash your hands before eating.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 PM

990 posts, read 1,473,223 times
I have sensitive skin and went through a period in my early 20's when my hands were dry and rough. Rubbing your hands with vaseline and wearing gloves at night or in the evening if you're relaxing does work. My mother used to swear by Nivea cream when her hands suffered from winter dryness. She'd apply the cream, and wear the gloves. I prefer cream over vaseline myself.
My husband gets super dry skin on his legs in winter. His doctor recommended Eucerin cream.

Super moisturizing creams can feel rather greasy, so save them for when you won't be handling things.
Otherwise, just use hand lotion every time you wash your hands (except for when you're preparing food).
You don't need to use anything expensive. I've been using Suave hand and body lotion on my hands for at least the past 15 years.
Whenever your hands begin to feel irritated during the day, wet them, dry, then apply a little lotion. The water moisturizes your skin, the lotion forms a seal that keeps the moisture in.
It can take a week or two to really feel the difference if your hands are really dry and irritated.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 PM

472 posts, read 884,506 times
Aquaphor and eucerin make great moisturizers. I run a lot so at night I put on socks and slather on the aquaphor and they're like new heels on my feet. I'm sure the same would work for your hands.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:18 PM

26,873 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Don't forget the sunscreen on your hands. Pick one with sunscreen for day to day use. When cooking? Use olive oil instead of hand cream.

Got a few extra minutes? Make a scrub. Olive oil + sugar or salt. Then wash with soap. Your hands will feel soft.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 AM

275 posts, read 1,052,914 times
If then hands touch something else, will oil be left there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Don't forget the sunscreen on your hands. Pick one with sunscreen for day to day use. When cooking? Use olive oil instead of hand cream.

Got a few extra minutes? Make a scrub. Olive oil + sugar or salt. Then wash with soap. Your hands will feel soft.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 AM

26,873 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
If then hands touch something else, will oil be left there?
Use just a bit, rub it in profusely, and focus on the outside of your hands. It should absorb fairly quickly, but your hands might smell a little like oil.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:34 AM

11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
My favorite thing hands down, if you excuse the pun.... I take about a half hour to bake my hands. I cream them well, put on plastic bags and insert my hands into the hand spa heating pads and sit and relax for a half hour while the moisture bakes in.

Amazon.com: Thermal Spa Heated Mitts: Health & Personal Care

I've had mine for YEARS.... and it really helps when my arthritis kicks in.

Other than that, I love Curel Ultra Healing lotion.... and sometimes if my hands are in dry condition I use Roc Deep Correxion retinol face cream on my hands, and then the Curel -- it really works for me.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 AM

20,604 posts, read 15,424,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
now my grandmother and aunt swore by this .. she would get linen gloves the white kind you wore on special occasions way back when .. she would apply vaseline to her hands and then wear the gloves overnight and in the am take them off and your hands will be so soft you wont believe it and then wash the gloves in the washer and dry them . good luck .
I am so going to try this! I look way younger than I am...except my hands are starting to catch up with my true age and I'm NOT cool with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty