U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 12:29 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,607,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
My kids need some more school uniform pieces and I happened to call the supplier before placing an online order. I am glad I did. Vanity sizing has moved into the kids clothes now too. So, the sizes I was about to order would all have been too large.
Vanity sizing in children's clothing has been around for awhile too. Growing up, for each age I progressed to, I fit that size, so at the age of 14, I was wearing a girls' size 14. (Size 16, half sizes, and husky/slim sizes didn't exist). Lo and behold, more than 20 years later, I can wear a children's size 8-10 in tops and a 12 in pants. A 14 is too large, and I know I weigh more than I did at 14. I discovered this a few years ago when adult XS became too large.

On the plus side, at least with children's clothing, there's the addition of pants, cut more specifically for husky/slim and pants that have the adjustable inner waist. There are some skirts that have shorts built in, so you don't have to actually wear shorts or boycut underwear underneath.

Vanity sizing is here to stay. At this point, it's probably easier to find a few brands that you like and stick with them and their sizing/cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 12:31 AM

33,126 posts, read 26,942,243 times
Vanity sizing.

My daughter is 100 lbs at 5 feet tall. She's curvy, flat stomached, etc.

She's a size ZERO.

When I was in high school (and before having 3 kids) I was 100 lbs and 5'3. Same figure as her. And I was a size 4-6. It was the curvy hips.

It's a load of crap.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 AM

8,866 posts, read 10,330,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Stores have been doing this for a bit since women get very excited when they fit into small sizes and tend to buy.
Yep! I was a size 8 in high school (early 80s) and that was a normal, physically fit size. A size 4 or 6 would be pretty thin. I swear, my size 8 back in school would be a 2 or 4 now. I weigh more now (duh) and wear a 4.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM

15,747 posts, read 11,782,527 times
Go to Europe and you feel fat.

I have a size 4 here and 8 or 10 in Europe.

I fly from LA in a size XS and apparently the plane food is pretty heavy. I arrive and can only buy M clothes in Germany.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:15 PM

10,866 posts, read 18,937,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Vanity sizing.

She's a size ZERO.

When I was in high school (and before having 3 kids) I was 100 lbs and 5'3. Same figure as her. And I was a size 4-6. It was the curvy hips.

It's a load of crap.
My daughter is 105 lbs at 5 feet tall. She's wearing a 6 or 8 in petite women's clothes. We usually stick with those because the junior clothes really seem to vary in size.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,449,143 times
I know it's kind of annoying, but is it really that bothersome? So you have to ask the dressing room attendant to bring you another size or exchange an online purchase, is that really what upsets you or is it that you build your self image around a certain size and manufacturers are messing with that image?

The only time vanity sizing upsets me is when I'm sized out. In some clothes, the zeroes are too big which is crazy because, though I am thin, there are plenty of far thinner women than myself.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,151,473 times
As to the WalMart thing.. I think your friend may have been in the wrong section, OP. WM (even the ones that aren't Super WM) usually has 3 subsections in the Women's clothing department- regular women's (up to size 18), plus size (18-28), and junior's (3-17). Could it be that she was looking in the plus sizes without realizing that the "regular" sizes were on the other side of the shelves or whatever? Though I don't go to WM very much, I have never seen one with ONLY a plus size section of women's clothing.

And hey, while I am on the walmart-and-sizes subject... A size 18 from the regular section and a size 18 from the plus section aren't even the same size!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,525,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I know it's kind of annoying, but is it really that bothersome? So you have to ask the dressing room attendant to bring you another size or exchange an online purchase, is that really what upsets you or is it that you build your self image around a certain size and manufacturers are messing with that image?

The only time vanity sizing upsets me is when I'm sized out. In some clothes, the zeroes are too big which is crazy because, though I am thin, there are plenty of far thinner women than myself.
It wasn't bothersome, it was just an odd experience and the first time I've experienced something like this. I usually get my jeans/dress pants at the same places--Macys, Forever 21, Gap, or Guess. And I wear either a 29 or 8 at all of these places, for the most part, however at Gap I can buy a 6 and get away with it, because it's one of those stores where you if you don't get a size smaller, the pants get too baggy over time(my experience). So it was the first time I went to a store, and found that the sizing was so off. I just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this happening to them. In terms of why I was really upset--well I wasn't upset, more perplexed if anything. I know I'm not a size 4 lol.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 PM

467 posts, read 547,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Vanity sizing.

She's a size ZERO.

It's a load of crap.
They could bring back the 1980s size 2 or 1/3 which actually they still sell but no one would buy it. I'm not sure when things changed but they did and there is nothing we can do about it.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:47 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,159,694 times
I still have a size 14 USA dress I kept from 1979 and that is not the size 14 USA of today
and also here Europe is getting fatter , the size EU 48 in 2012 is not the size 48 of say 20 25 years ago in Europe
European countries differ in sizes too , clothing labels have all the different EU sizes on them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty