Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:55 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
My mother tells me I need to wear more makeup but that's how she was raised. She was raised that you couldn't even go get gas without full face makeup. I wear it when necessary. I'm not a fan of it because I have really sensitive and fair skin which makes it difficult to find a shade that matches and doesn't break me out.

If someone were to ask why I had so much on I'd tell them to worry about themself.
Was she a Texas woman? There is a generational difference for sure. My mother would not have gone to the store without make-up. If I am just running out doing errands I don't wear any, but going out in the evening I can't go without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 12:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What wrong with that though?
Never said there's anything wrong with it.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
My mom always hated makeup. So I always have some inherited mixed feelings on the whole thing. She is always "surprised" if I have some on.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:31 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My mom always hated makeup. So I always have some inherited mixed feelings on the whole thing. She is always "surprised" if I have some on.

My grandmother is the same way. She thinks make up is for tramps so I never wear any around her. The second she is gone, I grab my MAC stash

Old 10-20-2012, 06:41 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
To many, make up is put on to get attention from men. Therefore, if you put on makeup, you are out looking for a sex partner. They can't accept that some of us wear it to just look better to ourselves.

I have always hated the stuff too. I hate the waste of time it takes to put it on, keep it neat, and take it off. But I do, at least, put up a little lipstick when I am going out of the house.

Using Make-Up is sort of like ironing the wrinkles out of clothes. You don't really need to do it, so why bother???

Because it makes us look as if we care about ourselves.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I know that I do not get upset that other women wear make-up, they can do whatever they want with their own face. I would never approach someone and ask them why they are wearing make-up with the exception of probably some of the younger girls in my family.

it seems that starting at 12 or so, the girls are putting the make-up on, and lots of black on their eyes. I don't think it's appropriate for their age. My niece who is just turning 16 wears make-up, but it is put on nicely and it is minimal.

I know I can't say a whole lot, because I was doing the same thing when I was a young girl.

From my own experience, everyone does not wear make-up. I don't put any on, and for people to say that a person isn't taking care of themselves or grooming themselves because they don't wear make-up is rather an insult.

Last edited by Pikantari; 10-20-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
I knew a woman who would get up way early, because her husband never saw her without make-up!!! I wear less now then when I was younger. I don't get angry for anyone wearing make up and never ask them why...it's their own business.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:57 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,542 times
I'm a more natural gal that looks better with minimal or no makeup. I'm blessed with good skin and a healthy "look" rather than anything that could remotely be considered glamorous. So I'm a non-wearer for the most part. I would not consider asking a woman why she wears makeup. The reasons seem obvious to me. Unless the girl is super young to be wearing it, make-up is common enough among females in western culture.

The only time I might want to say something but bite my tongue instead is when makeup is done badly enough that it detracts from someone's looks such as putting it on with a trowel so that there is a sense of thickness to the point of looking like a mask, or the off color foundation line around the face, the super fake drawn on "eternal surprise" eyebrows, the unblended slash of blusher, the dark liner line around the lips. Maybe this type of thing is one source of commentary from well meaning beauty buttinskys? I doubt the jealousy drives all makeup commentary.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
My honest opinion is that some people need to be angry, and the makeup is just the excuse. I've seen women who trowel it on, but it's none of my business.

Once -- only with one woman -- did I ever comment on her makeup. She wore a lot, and on the rare days she didn't, I told her how beautiful she was without it. She looked great with it, but was one of those people that with or without she looked great.

She LOVED it when I said that.

She needed all the kudos she could get, in her case all the makeup was to hide her insecurity.

I wish it could say it worked.... it didn't. She ended up killing herself. And no -- it wasn't the wearing of makeup -- that was a symptom of something much much deeper...

Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 PM

221 posts, read 282,788 times
I have a mother who thinks I wear too little makeup. I put on a light foundation that is more like a skin tint as well as a reflective tint, some lip gloss, and I use an eyebrow pencil to make my eyebrows more the color of my hair, since I color it auburn. Occasionally, I use a gel blush for a bit of color.

It's been a rare thing I've been criticized for wearing makeup. Here's the thing: I have always had problem/tempramental skin. I had acne from age 9 (five years before I started wearing makeup) and now it's rosacea acne, as well as I flush really easily and I get windburned very easily. People have said monumentally rude things to me when I've been makeup-less and have had an outbreak or flushing incident. If I had beautiful skin, I'd probably only go with lipgloss and eyebrow pencil.

As far as heavy makeup is concerned, I think a lot of women look very glamorous in it. Some women don't know how to put on a "full face" and make it look nice. However, I would never remark to them about it, unless they were asking my opinion, or unless they were my BFF and I thought they looked like a fool. I don't understand anger either way - a woman's choice to wear makeup or not, dress in nylons/heels/dresses or not is not anger worthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty