U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,215,181 times

Advertisements

I guess there is a difference between someone asking you about the reason you are wearing makeup and someone pointing out that you have too much on.
if someone tells me that my eyelashes are coming up,I just say thanks for telling me and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 02:57 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,215,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4143 View Post
who cares
Apparently,lot of women and men do.
If you look at some profile pics on here,some are wearing makeup.
That's fine,but others come attacking the person saying"I think natural looks best"
and "you have globs of makeup on" and also"if you have to put makeup on,you aren't naturally pretty".
That last comment is something I read men write the most.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:18 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,429,096 times
I've only seen the anger on the internet.

Thinking natural looks best is just an opinion. You wouldn't wear corpse paint to work but someone thinks that looks good and is wearing it to work somewhere out there.

Gobs is gross. I think when people say gobs it just a way of saying sloppy heavy bad makeup job.

As for what men say, who cares. They usually can't tell the difference between minimal makeup and "naturally pretty" anyway. LOL

Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,532,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Apparently,lot of women and men do.
If you look at some profile pics on here,some are wearing makeup.
That's fine,but others come attacking the person saying"I think natural looks best"
and "you have globs of makeup on" and also"if you have to put makeup on,you aren't naturally pretty".
That last comment is something I read men write the most.
I think that is ridiculous. I have heard people (like myself) say they prefer natural, but it is for my own self. I do know that some others look better with make-up on. Like my sister, for one.

Some people do cake it on, and it does look stupid. More power to them! I just don't see people getting angry or bitter if someone is wearing make-up.

False eyelashes? I can't imagine wearing those. To me, It would feel like there was something on my eyelid I needed to brush off the whole time.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,969,971 times
I'm a make-up wearer.

I wouldn't say I have dealt with people being outright angry or nasty to me, but I do find that some women that I interact with tend to make negative remarks about themselves or apologizing to me for their appearance. I can't say I've ever had someone make a comment directly to me about my "face paint."

It's similar if I wear heeled boots as opposed to sneakers. All of a sudden I appear dressed up to them and I hear comments about how I look like I stepped off a runway or the like, when in reality I'm dressed fairly casual like them (tee and jeans), just not in running shoes.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,280,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes,all the time.
I don't know if it'd out of anger or jealousy.
For me,its most pronounced at work.
Just don't let them change you. If you conform to their standards they won the battle.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 AM

33,066 posts, read 26,889,149 times
Wear whatever you want.

If you have doubts about how you're applying makeup, go get a makeup consultation. I'd pay for a makeup artist to avoid the sales pitch that goes along with the freebie consults that brands offer in the mall.

If your eyelashes are coming up, it's attracting unwanted attention. They should look natural and last all day.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 AM

11,432 posts, read 19,448,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I think that is ridiculous. I have heard people (like myself) say they prefer natural, but it is for my own self. I do know that some others look better with make-up on. Like my sister, for one.

Some people do cake it on, and it does look stupid. More power to them! I just don't see people getting angry or bitter if someone is wearing make-up.

False eyelashes? I can't imagine wearing those. To me, It would feel like there was something on my eyelid I needed to brush off the whole time.
Ah, but you're young. When I was your age, I had "doe" eyes, eye lashes long and thick and longest right at the end of my eyes.... but straight as an arrow, which is why I swear by an eyelash curler and waterproof macara.

But as I've aged, my hair has thinned a little, and those eyelashes are gone. If I wanted the doe eye look I had when I was young that takes individual sets of lashes...

But there is a tradeoff -- those heavy lashes I had when I was young are so wrong for me now. When I wear a ton of mascara, it accentuates the small bags I have under my eyes. And I have to put mascara on my bottom lashes, as they are so pale they aren't there if I don't, so I wipe wipe the mascara off the wand and just darken those lashes.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:47 PM

8,858 posts, read 10,318,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
She's an honorary Texan but she was born and bred southern baptist in Alabama but left as quick as she could for the great state of Texas.
Ahh. Yeah, should have said southern thing and also generational.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,429,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Ah, but you're young. When I was your age, I had "doe" eyes, eye lashes long and thick and longest right at the end of my eyes.... but straight as an arrow, which is why I swear by an eyelash curler and waterproof macara.

But as I've aged, my hair has thinned a little, and those eyelashes are gone. If I wanted the doe eye look I had when I was young that takes individual sets of lashes...

But there is a tradeoff -- those heavy lashes I had when I was young are so wrong for me now. When I wear a ton of mascara, it accentuates the small bags I have under my eyes. And I have to put mascara on my bottom lashes, as they are so pale they aren't there if I don't, so I wipe wipe the mascara off the wand and just darken those lashes.

An alternative to mascara:http://www.bellasugar.com/How-Dye-Yo...-Home-19840712

Dye is nice for that natural darkened look without the problem with flakes,adding to your dark circles etc.
Just an option to look "natural" as they say...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty