Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:59 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times

Advertisements

So a few years ago, or more than a few, I decided that for "dress" shoes, or boots, or basically any shoes I plan to wear outside of the summer season, I would stick to buying nicer shoes.

I have had mixed luck with the lower quality ones. Some last forever. Some die in two minutes.

And I got addicted to Kenneth Cole collection shoes. And Cole Haan. And Same Edelman. And Jeffery Campbell. (Nordstrom Rack is my friend!)

I also get my shoes repaired. New heels. New soles. ...and I am hoping to replace the lining on my favorite slingbacks. I've got a bunch of shoes that are 8-10+ years old that I still wear. Flats tend to get replaced, and are hard to save, but heels and boots can last a while with care.

So I was out with my sister at Sears. And she was really excited about her new boots (she has not come to the same revelation).

I ended up getting some "shooties" that matched up pretty well for what I was looking for this season. They were $20, so I thought I'd take a chance. I did some modifications: added more padding, and the water resistant spray since it was raining today.

The verdict?
1. my shoes were a hit with my coworkers, lots of compliments
2. the rain spray did its job, and my feet stayed dry
3. the heel (a thicker one) was moderately well balanced,I wasn't feeling wobbly (a sure sign of cheap shoes!)
4. the padding wasn't really enough
5. not as breathable as my typical shoes

The verdict? I might try the cheap shoes again, if they are really cheap, on trend, and aren't meant to last. But I like my nicer shoes with more leather much better. But if I can make these work for the rainy season, I got my money's worth.

Are you a shoe splurger? Or do you go for the cheap and disposable? Something else? Somewhere between?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,225,076 times
Shoes are the only 'fashion' item that I spend money on.

Good shoes are so important. No need to go around with sore feet or an achy back because you bought the wrong shoes.

I (almost) only wear these
Vibram FiveFingers - Running Shoes for Men – TREKSPORT Trekking Shoe | Vibram FiveFingers

Old 10-22-2012, 06:39 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times
These are what you are going to find me in most all the time:

Leather womens Harley Davidson boots. I don't remember the style of the boot, and I do want to get some more. Not big on fashion boots and shoes, etc

Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
I've got a mix of nice and cheap shoes....if they fit, they fit....doesn't seem to matter how much they cost. I won't buy a cheap shoe if it doesn't feel great....but I won't buy an expensive one, either, if it feels bad!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times
OP, what do you pay for 'cheap' shoes?

Old 10-23-2012, 07:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,871,154 times
I can't wear really cheap shoes. Fake leather makes my feet overheat and just feel icky.

I won't break the budget for shoes and generally spend $70+ on anything besides summer shoes.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM

2,620 posts, read 4,016,280 times
While I've had a mixed array of shoes, I find they're an item that you're better off splurging on, or you'll pay for it (literally and figuratively) later. You don't have to "break the bank," but look for clearance of well-made shoes (i.e. some brands the OP already mentioned).

I will add, however, if I'm going to buy "cheap" shoes, they're typically flip-flops and flats--what I consider throwaways or expendables because I don't expect them to last, nor plan to keep them for very long, anyway.

Last edited by LexWest; 10-23-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
OP, what do you pay for 'cheap' shoes?
Well these were $20. . I think if it is of unknown quality but passes the initial in store tests then I might spent $30 if the construction seems reasonable enough.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,529,206 times
I usually wear flip flops or chuck taylors. I do have a pair of nice heeled knee high boots but I wish they would have made them in black because I don't have a lot of things that go with the light brown color that they are.

I REALLY want a pair of these:
Cabela's: Børn® Women's Sage Tall Boots

and for my move back east I'm thinking of buying these:

Cabela's: BareTraps® Women's Emalyn Suede Fleece Tall Boots

Most of my shoes are super cheap, but I figure since I have quite a few pairs and rarely wear them they'll last a bit longer I agree that flats and flip flops are mostly disposable so I usually just grab a pair whenever I go into CVS or Walgreens.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Cheap shoes if they're cute or trendy will be a hit with other women, but often they're poorly designed, so they kill your feet, ouch! It's worth it to save, and spring for quality shoes. Fewer shoes, but better fit. Your feet will thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty