Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 PM

245 posts, read 519,547 times

Advertisements

According to everyone who talks to me I sound like a white girl. No, I don't mean sounding white as in speaking correct English and not using Ebonics. White as in my voice is too high and chipper, and kind of have a "valley girl" girl.

I sound like Hilary Banks basically.

*kanye shrug*

I like my voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,156,463 times
I don't know really, I rarely hear my own voice. People sometimes have some trouble hearing me because my voice is so low, which is a downside, but the upside is that I could potentially join the opera as a baritone.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,292,859 times
Does anyone???

Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 PM

506 posts, read 1,955,718 times
I hate it.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:45 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,334,057 times
Lol! I'm okay with my voice until I try to sing Vince Giil's Go Rest High On That Mountain.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,195,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
What do people mean when they say they aren't 'photogenic'?
This^ thread in Fashion & Beauty went from being about "what being photogenic means" to "how one's voice sounds" (to oneself vs. to other people). Wanted to comment on that subject, but didn't wish to perpetuate "off-topic-ness", figured this merited separate thread.

So if the mods want to move this, that's fine-I wouldn't know which section to place it in.

I usually don't mind how my voice sounds, but that's from the vantage point of being inside my own skull, where it resonates a certain way.
I don't know what it sounds like to other folks.
I detest how my voice sounds when played back (on a tape/answering machine. etc.) because of how hollow, treble-y, and tinny it sounds.

How do other people feel about their own voices ?
My voice is the same no matter what media you are hearing it through or if we are face to face and more often than not I get lots of compliments but for myself I don't understand the compliments but I gracefully thank whomever for stated compliments and go about my day.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:54 PM

16,065 posts, read 21,110,681 times
I sound weird to myself, and I can't sing worth a hoot, but I have been complimented on my speaking voice quite often. In the past I have been offered various jobs like working for a professional answering service, etc. so I guess I don't sound as bad to other people as I do to myself.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,453,487 times
My voice is deep and I can make it very melodic or turn it into a growl. I'll keep it.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
do you have a really strong Long Island accent...or a General American Accent?
There isn't any "General American Accent."

When I was a college student studying in Ireland, the guys we'd meet would do their "American" accents for us, and they invariably did a very deep south southern drawl, or some kind of valley girl thing. Of course, when most Americans do their best "Irish" accent (of which there are several regional variations), they always end up sounding like the Lucky Charms leprechaun, which is really apparently mostly just what people in Cork sound like. So turnabout is fair play.

In terms of liking my voice, I like my singing voice, but not really my speaking voice. My speaking voice is a little nasal, but since I trained in vocal music for many years, that disappears when I sing.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,845,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyloves View Post
According to everyone who talks to me I sound like a white girl. No, I don't mean sounding white as in speaking correct English and not using Ebonics. White as in my voice is too high and chipper, and kind of have a "valley girl" girl.

I sound like Hilary Banks basically.

*kanye shrug*

I like my voice.
This is me too. High pitched. Chipper. And I talk fast. Don't like my voice at all. I am not nasally, so my coworkers jokingly say I have a flight attendant voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty