Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times

Advertisements

When I think of what an old lady looks like, i think of my grandma. I look back to the years when I was a little girl, and for certain, she did not look like the women posted.

Her was grey and she kept it short. She used to curl it by using curlers or pin curls. I remember looking up to my grandmother and thinking what a beautiful woman she was. She walked with a bit of a limp as she broke a hip. One leg was shorter than the other.

My grandmother had wrinkles and the grey hair, and her skin was soft to the touch and she smelled like Oil of Olay. My mom did too.

She wore 'old lady clothes' but to me they were just my grandmas clothes. I could never imagine her looking like ANY one of these women in these pictures.

Her pants always matched her shirt in that grandma kind of way. Polyester pants with the sewn in crease raised down the leg. Now those were grandma pants. I don't think I could imagine my grandma wearing anything different.

When I see an older man or woman these days, I just look at them and smile, and say hello. Thinking back to the days when my grandma was living.

My mother seemed to be an old lady young in life. She had a hard way to go and worked very near to the end of her life. Just the same as with my grandma, when I approached my mother for a hug, I would smell that oil of olay. When she passed, I had the funeral home put that on her.

My mother did not look like the lady I always knew as she lost a lot of weight and had to wear a wig.

When I think of an old or older lady, I think of my mom and my grandma. When my kids give me a hug, they smell oil of olay.

I don't have the wrinkles they had and I dont wear the old lady clothes, but boy do I miss it all.

I sat next to a little old lady today at the drs office and she looked rather fashionable for her age. She looked at me and asked if it was my first time there and I told her it was. She told me I would be just fine, that he was a good dr. I smiled and thanked her, and she was called back....

That was an old lady. I guess I have a different mind set of what an old lady is....I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,933,808 times
I am not a huge fan of bright lips but it looks good on Gwen. Unfortunately it accents the pleated lips and off color teeth that you might have when you are older so I prefer a more natural lip color. I think Jane Fonda looks ridiculous in the mini skirt. I like her look and outfit but the skirt should be as long as the boots. She is too old to have thighs showing like that.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
"Old ladies" without money can still make a respectable showing. But they have to be discplined and dedicated to looking as well as they can. This is how you make up for not having the cash to do all the "wow" head turning stuff. Strict about diet and exercise, religiously care for your skin, and pay close attention to color and the cut of clothes that look really good on you.

A mature woman who does this will stand out, because quite a few women this age don't seem to want to be bothered with all this "work".
That's great and all but show some rather than ones who look like they have money. Show some every day old women since I'm assuming this thread is trying to make a point.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
That's great and all but show some rather than ones who look like they have money. Show some every day old women since I'm assuming this thread is trying to make a point.

It's more difficult to find photos of what you are terming 'every day old women' (although feel free to post 'em !)---most of the photos I have posted are of celebrities simply because it is easy to find photos of them on the internet.

Many of the photos of the non-celebrity women that I have posted, I have no idea of their income --- I'm sure some of them are not wealthy.

My main point of this thread was that women can still look good and stylish as they get older --- they don't need to just throw in the towel and assume that all the fun fashionable looks are for younger folks, and that after a certain age they need to dress in safe or downright dowdy clothing. Or that their bodies somehow need to be hidden, that you can't wear a form-fitting skirt or a tight jacket past a certain age.

I'm trying to show that "age-appropriate" rules and restrictions are made to be broken, and that you don't have to give up wearing the things you like even if you are 55, 75, or 95. As long as they flatter you.

And I guess I'm trying to enlighten people a bit -- and point out how great a woman can look at any age.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
"Old ladies" without money can still make a respectable showing. But they have to be discplined and dedicated to looking as well as they can. This is how you make up for not having the cash to do all the "wow" head turning stuff. Strict about diet and exercise, religiously care for your skin, and pay close attention to color and the cut of clothes that look really good on you.

A mature woman who does this will stand out, because quite a few women this age don't seem to want to be bothered with all this "work".
You can find an awful lot of beautiful clothes and accessories at thrift stores and consignment stores for a fraction of the original cost. Once I saw how cheap clothes were at my local consignment store I regretted all the decades I paid retail prices.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,173,623 times
I don't understand why some think it is important to have clothes that "flatter" or that have "style".

Why not clothes that are practical and comfortable? And washable with little or no ironing?

Is it a matter of IQ or desire to say "Hey!!! Lookie ME. Aren't I somthing special!!!"

Maybe it's a matter of growing up. Some women never seem to do that. They are usually quite unhappy as they age.

Good Luck to You!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I don't understand why some think it is important to have clothes that "flatter" or that have "style".

Why not clothes that are practical and comfortable? And washable with little or no ironing?

Is it a matter of IQ or desire to say "Hey!!! Lookie ME. Aren't I somthing special!!!"

Maybe it's a matter of growing up. Some women never seem to do that. They are usually quite unhappy as they age.

Good Luck to You!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:

Good Luck to You!!!
Because style matters to some people. The older women in my family (on both sides) are stylish to no end. There is nothing wrong with some people who want to look beautiful and have a great fashion sense. Its a personal choice. You don't like to do it and that is your perogative. Why the need to belittle those who do care?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I wonder how Gwen keeps her roots so blonde, you would think the hair would start to break off.....and I'm not being catty--I'd actually like to know. I had platinum hair for about 10 years and roots are always a problem..
My hair is thin. I have finally given up on regular hair stuff and am trying henna. I'm going red. It even makes the hair stronger. Given that stars often wear wigs, and have to have perfect hair, I think I know why they use wigs.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:

Good Luck to You!!!
You just described my closet and has been my closet since I was a much younger woman. Clothes that are practical, comfortable, easy care, fit well and go with every pair of sneakers I own. Yes I even wear them with a dress or skirt no matter what function we are attending and I have one white pair and one black pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty