U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,430 posts, read 16,710,389 times
Reputation: 16435

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
While I completely respect the fact that everyone should ultimately dress the way he/she wants to .....

one thing that really gets me is the older women who basically look like men.

They cut off their hair, and wear jeans, polar fleece jackets, and tennis shoes (or some variation of that).

I can understand WHY women do this - after years of fussing with their hair, make-up, jewelry, heels, hose, etc, they reach a point where they just don't want to deal with it anymore.

So they adopt a very low-maintenance look - which happens to look like how many men dress.

That is certainly their prerogative, but I don't care for that look myself.
It's also a normal way for women of all ages to dress. Its called the unisex look. And younger women do it too. I don't get how some women feel they have to 'dress like women'. People should dress how they feel, not by any imposed standard. I respect the woman who dumps the hair and makeup and becomes herself far more than the one who feels she 'has' go do these things. Far too many women are brainwashed into thinking this.

Maybe our dismal record on relationships would be better served if women (AND men) dresses as themselves, and we could see who they are and if they're more or less like us. And women who dress for men are not doing themselves any favors. Come the point where the flirting is over and they want to be themselves, its starting all over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM
 
10,343 posts, read 7,607,138 times
Reputation: 4513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Quite honestly, there ARE some clothes that look ridiculous on older women (starting 50-60, and I'm talking about ordinary women, not models). A miniskirt or bikini just do not look good on women past a certain age. Likewise older men shouldn't show too much skin or wear young guy's fashions (such as worn by skateboarders, we've all seen them, cap backwards etc). Of course I'm talking about being in public as in shopping.
I simply don't agree. The notion that women past "a certain age" can't wear certain clothes is exactly what this entire thread is about and I have posted tons of photos to prove my point. Did you look at the entire thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:37 PM
 
10,343 posts, read 7,607,138 times
Reputation: 4513
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's also a normal way for women of all ages to dress. Its called the unisex look. And younger women do it too. I don't get how some women feel they have to 'dress like women'. People should dress how they feel, not by any imposed standard. I respect the woman who dumps the hair and makeup and becomes herself far more than the one who feels she 'has' go do these things. Far too many women are brainwashed into thinking this.

Maybe our dismal record on relationships would be better served if women (AND men) dresses as themselves, and we could see who they are and if they're more or less like us. And women who dress for men are not doing themselves any favors. Come the point where the flirting is over and they want to be themselves, its starting all over time.
Yes but I see the women in all these photos as dressing for themselves. Dressing the way you want doesn't always mean dressing down and dressing plainly.

"Starting all over" can mean going bolder and more striking -- IF that is the way you choose. "Starting all over" can mean sensible shoes, and plain clothes that don't draw any attention to you --- and that's fine if that's what you prefer.

"Dumping the hair and makeup" is no more becoming yourself, than fooling around with hair and makeup and also being yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,821,987 times
Reputation: 8038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I simply don't agree. The notion that women past "a certain age" can't wear certain clothes is exactly what this entire thread is about and I have posted tons of photos to prove my point. Did you look at the entire thread?
You posted pics of model types, not anything like the older women I've known. I posted a couple of pictures also. Past about 60yo, women shouldn't show too much skin, it looks ridiculous unless they're exceptionally beautiful.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 PM
 
10,343 posts, read 7,607,138 times
Reputation: 4513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You posted pics of model types, not anything like the older women I've known. I posted a couple of pictures also. Past about 60yo, women shouldn't show too much skin, it looks ridiculous unless they're exceptionally beautiful.
I posted several photos of women who are 100 years old----did you go through the whole thread? I don't think so.


I think you underestimate how many women in their 50s and 60s still have great bodies--and they are not models. That's part of the ageism that I am fighting with this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Next stop Antarctica
1,797 posts, read 2,336,887 times
Reputation: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Exactly...after all these decades why can't we please ourselves and dress in beige or gray or black or any other color that we find peaceful and/or pleasing to ouselves? Why Oh Why is it so difficult for someone to believe that we know how we're dressing and we're OKAY with it?
Yes we can and we do, i dress how i want i always have. I don't need to look outrageous, i am outrageous. I understand what is being said here about not looking frumpy but we can't inflict our fashion statements onto other women. As for wearing spiked heels ye gods my old knees are suffering from the first time around. Maybe wearing 6" heels in your 50's is ok but 60's 70's they could be dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:52 PM
 
10,343 posts, read 7,607,138 times
Reputation: 4513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You posted pics of model types, not anything like the older women I've known. I posted a couple of pictures also. Past about 60yo, women shouldn't show too much skin, it looks ridiculous unless they're exceptionally beautiful.

None of the women in the photos I posted are wearing anything that looks like that.

I think shorty-shorts look horrible on most women past age 19, especially anyone who is overweight. The woman on the right isn't even old, she's probably in her 30s.

And most older women don't wear shorts like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Colorado
659 posts, read 770,289 times
Reputation: 507
women over 45 are really not much to look at in general. It's a sad fact f life and the exceptions to the rule really don't represent the majority of women over 45 out there. Bottom line is older women are just ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,821,987 times
Reputation: 8038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
None of the women in the photos I posted are wearing anything that looks like that.

I think shorty-shorts look horrible on most women past age 19, especially anyone who is overweight. The woman on the right isn't even old, she's probably in her 30s.

And most older women don't wear shorts like that.
Well then, you agree with me. There are some clothes older women shouldn't wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 06:22 PM
 
10,343 posts, read 7,607,138 times
Reputation: 4513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well then, you agree with me. There are some clothes older women shouldn't wear.
No, there are some clothes that no one who is fat should wear---like shorty-shorts---at least in public.

And there are some clothes, like bikinis, that may not flatter most women over age 60. But there are going to be some women who at that age are able to look just fine in a bikini.

And there are some clothes, like mini skirts, that I think older women can wear as shown in the photos. Sometimes maybe not with bare legs, but with dark tights for example.

Helen Mirren 67, proving there are no hard and fast rules.

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top