U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,988,157 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is there a trend in the new 'high fashion/low cost' type of stores? I subscribe to a few fashion magazines and lately I've noticed that they feature clothes from H&M and Steve & Barry's:

H&M

Steve & Barry's

I visited s&b in Orlando last week and I made a b-line for SJP's 'Bitten' line. I wasn't impressed (not much of a selection) but she did have a few VERY cute pieces at great prices! I didn't go on the maniacal shopping spree that I thought I would go on but in 2 days, I spend $200 bucks (lots of accessories and swimsuits, too).

Anyone shop at these stores? What's H&M like? We don't have one here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:00 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,158,994 times
I loved Steve & Barrys up until I moved to TX, LOL...........Everything was $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one I visited in VA, was wonderful, which is where i was first introduced. Anyway I still have all my clothing (jeans/shirts) from that first visit and they are in great condition and have held up as if they were "high end" items.

Anyway, moved to TX, and they were opening one near where I lived and I couldn't wait. Went in and was totally disappointed. First of all the clothing was being sold for more than $10, still cheap, but nonetheless, every SB I visited from VA to GA everything was $10. Second the quality and style of the clothing was no where near what the VA and GA stores had.

So no more SB for me, until I visit GA or VA again

Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM

218 posts, read 995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Anyone shop at these stores? What's H&M like? We don't have one here.
H&M is not bad for trendy fun clothing. Not the best fabrics or quality but still fun. Price range is from about $20.00 to $99.00, the higher prices for winter coats. I think the best H&M stores are in NYC, the one where I live does not have a children's or men's dept. All in all not bad for teenage and twentysomethings, and OK for the occasional trendy piece for the rest of us!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 AM

3,161 posts, read 7,886,366 times
The quality at those stores is lacking, including SJP's Bitten. It feels cheap. I buy nice quality basic pieces (jeans, tailored pants, suits, button downs) and then I buy trendier things on the cheap at Target, H&M, and those kind of stores. Since no one is going to be wearing kimono sleeves (or insert trend here) a year or two from now, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on good quality.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:05 PM

859 posts, read 3,018,635 times
I don't know if I consider H&M "high fashion".

Everything is cheap. I like to go there for little white and black t-shirts to put under my button downs. It's great b/c I get them for $6. If they get old or stained I just trash em and get more. When I am in there to get those, sometimes I will see other cute things and grab em, but I don't consider it high fashion, I consider something cute but cheap that's a good find.

The one thing that annoys me is that some of the clothes are in European sizes, so I have to try it on b/c I can't remember what my European size is.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM

253 posts, read 1,014,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I don't know if I consider H&M "high fashion".

Everything is cheap. I like to go there for little white and black t-shirts to put under my button downs. It's great b/c I get them for $6. If they get old or stained I just trash em and get more. When I am in there to get those, sometimes I will see other cute things and grab em, but I don't consider it high fashion, I consider something cute but cheap that's a good find.

The one thing that annoys me is that some of the clothes are in European sizes, so I have to try it on b/c I can't remember what my European size is.
I remember when H&M 1st opened up in nyc. I went to check it out. I made a B-line right back out of there. It was so not my style It seemed like cheap crap. Now that many of the high end designers are making lines for places like H&M & Target I am starting to thing I should give theses places a 2nd look. I tend to only were high end European designers but that can be a little taxing on the wallet. I don't know if I'd trust full outfits that cost $10 but a shirt or two? Its worth a try.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:13 PM

859 posts, read 3,018,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibound-Yorkiemom View Post
I remember when H&M 1st opened up in nyc. I went to check it out. I made a B-line right back out of there. It was so not my style It seemed like cheap crap. Now that many of the high end designers are making lines for places like H&M & Target I am starting to thing I should give theses places a 2nd look. I tend to only were high end European designers but that can be a little taxing on the wallet. I don't know if I'd trust full outfits that cost $10 but a shirt or two? Its worth a try.
I mean it's worth a look. I would never buy my whole wardrobe there b/c a lot of the stuff is pretty cheapy, but you can get cute random finds. I go in 2to 3 times a year to stock up on those cheap shirts I was talking about to put under my button downs (I literally start grabbing them in every color lol) and I sometimes will see other cute things and get it.

I live 10 minutes from a mall that has one, so it's no big deal to take a look. But if you don't live near one, it's not worth going out of your way for in my opinion, it's nothing special.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 PM

253 posts, read 1,014,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I mean it's worth a look. I would never buy my whole wardrobe there b/c a lot of the stuff is pretty cheapy, but you can get cute random finds. I go in 2to 3 times a year to stock up on those cheap shirts I was talking about to put under my button downs (I literally start grabbing them in every color lol) and I sometimes will see other cute things and get it.

I live 10 minutes from a mall that has one, so it's no big deal to take a look. But if you don't live near one, it's not worth going out of your way for in my opinion, it's nothing special.
I now live in Rittenhouse Square in Center City Philadelphia. There is a H&M within walking distance I may check it out. I love a good bargain. Sometimes when you pair a cheap item with a more expensive item it makes it all look expensive. I am not about to buy my whole wardrobe from them unless Robert Cavalli, Prada, Dior or Dolce & Gabanna make a line for them. I was going to mention Chanel too but I remember Karl Largefield made something for them. I wonder if it was it any good? If it was anywhere near Chanel quality it would be a great steal. My Chanel suits & other item may have cost a samll fortune but the are classics that never go out of style. I just hav e to make sure i don't gain too much wieght. This is sometimes a challenge for me!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:47 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,969,971 times
I went into H&M for the first time over the weekend. Not my style...a bit too trendy and youthful for my liking. And quality was lacking, not that I expected much.

Unfortunately the H&M I visited didn't have a childrens section. I've seen some really cute kids outfits come from there!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:24 AM

10,634 posts, read 16,213,780 times
H&M is great for basics, as everyone else said. I buy shirts for layering there, and supertrendy stuff that I am not going to wear more than once. My jeans/pants/sweaters I buy more designer and get them tailored anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty