U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,058,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHomemaker View Post
Do any of you ladies have good leads for nice modest clothing for girls and ladies?

I have been so dissapointed with the selection in the stores that I tend to make almost all of our clothes myself. But, I feel like I could better use some of that time on things I find more enjoyable, like gardening and Bible study, so I am hoping some of you may have some "secret" places you know to find Godly clothing.

Thank you!
I don't have any trouble find modest clothing at most major stores. You can buy pants and turtle necks at JCrew, Gap, Bloomingdales, Ann Taylor. If the clothes are too tight, you can buy them in large sizes and wear them baggy.

Greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:56 PM

531 posts, read 1,552,098 times
What abouy NY & CO or B. Moss? They have nice, stylish clothes (not slutty) and a nice selection. Department stores are good too.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 AM

3,402 posts, read 11,979,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I would think any major department store would have conservative looking clothing. However, you would look in the areas for older women, and not for young people. You basically want grandmother type clothing. And if you like a skirt that has a slit in it, buy it and just sew it up.
Some of my most favorite skirts growing up had ungodly slits in them. My mother would buy them, and sew on a make-shift patch of matching (or sometimes off-color lace underneath it. They always turned out very pretty. I'm not a huge slit fan. But the lace underneath it always toned it down and made it much more classy afterwards, and you will never run out of options for what to do. Think of it like a dickie, for a skirt!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:06 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,955,384 times
You might also want to search through the Target racks for modest young lady clothing. Surprisingly, Wal-Mart has improved a great deal with their clothing; it might be another spot for you to peruse through.

Yes, I agree it is difficult shopping for conservative wear since clothing designers are leaning towards immodesty even for teenagers. However, if you really shop around, you might find something appropriate for all of you.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:09 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,890,687 times
Here are some nice online sites I have checked out in the past:

The Vermont Country Store

Welcome to Tznius.com - Modest Clothing - Modest Jewish Clothing, Tznius

Modest Clothing Directory (formerly Dara Marie Modest Clothing)

www.modestclothingsite.com This one has a list of other sites also.

Modest Clothing for Women and Girls at Hannah Lise

Old 10-24-2007, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 23,184 times
I understand. Most of the clothing in magazines I would never wear, and Wal Mart is just too boring. There are some beautiful clothes at Home Page . They have these wrinkle free clothing, made from some plant fiber and spandex. I like the bias cut top, it looks pretty without a lot of detail. The dresses would be nice for church or the pantsuit depending on your style. Plus you can throw them in the wash. It's cheaper than stores at the mall that's for sure.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 19,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHomemaker View Post
Do any of you ladies have good leads for nice modest clothing for girls and ladies?

I have been so dissapointed with the selection in the stores that I tend to make almost all of our clothes myself. But, I feel like I could better use some of that time on things I find more enjoyable, like gardening and Bible study, so I am hoping some of you may have some "secret" places you know to find Godly clothing.

Thank you!
I Also have a problem with style and fit that is modest and I am no longer interested in making my clothing as altering is a bummer. I found a new product out there. It is called No More Peeks and now I can buy wrap dresses and blouses and still be covered in the cleavage area. No layering either which is important since I live in AZ and a good part of the year is scorching. Also I can buy a button up blouse that actually fits but would not button over my too large bustline. I just look layered now with the buttons open part way but I am cool and comfortable. Check them out at nomorepeeks.com. They are affordable too and I take them shopping with me. They even do custom work. Happy Hunting.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 34,804 times
I'm a Banana Republic girl myself. They carry pretty conservative clothing, and everything is well made.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:45 PM

17 posts, read 53,917 times
I would definitley think J. Crew, Banana Republic, any store geared toward professional type clothing. You say that you don't like to show anything above your elbows and calves but is it okay to have tailored clothing? As in, you don't mind showing your feminine shape a little.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,312,218 times
I have found that places like academy sports and bass pro shops have modest clothing. one would think they sell all sporty stuff, but they have a lot of casual clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or