U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:17 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,352,672 times

Advertisements

For skirts why not make your own A-line skirts with elastic waist?
Its really easy to do without a pattern:
-Just make a triangle out of the fabric.
- hold to body to see where to cut off tip to fit natural waist
Leave enough to turn down a waist band
Leave 1-2 inches on the side of the hips to avoid tightness
- hem bottom to desired length.

I think it would be a nice fun family time thing to do too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 PM

1,861 posts, read 6,728,422 times
Some Eddie Bauer, Lands End, Talbots, Ann Taylor, LL Bean, JS Banks. to name a few.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,949,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
If you click on the "plus size" tab for Old Navy, that's what a lot of people are talking about - see the woman in the green top? That top is far too tight, it shows every roll and bulge. It's not flattering at all, when a slightly looser cut would be.

EDIT: here's the direct link -
Women's & Men's Clothes: Plus Size, Maternity, Baby & Kid's Clothing | Old Navy

I don't want my clothing to be shapeless and baggy, but I would like it to be more flattering than that.
Yes. I see so many people, even on the media, with bulges. There are also blouses that are meant to be worn over skirts and slacks and you can see the last button straining. Also, at the bustline there is that unflattering pull. Thin sweaters are so tight that nipples are showing in women who I do not think are aware of that. There are linen or cotton slacks with permanent ugly creases at the crotch, looking ironed in.

The fashions are tighter today, but they do not look sexy, just cheap - monetarily and otherwise. An extremely thin woman with hardly any fat on her might look passable in them, but an average woman looks as though she bought her clothing at some discount place where they cut back on the fabric to save money. Perhaps that is the reason for them trying to create this fad of tight clothing.

I have even seen presenters on QVC dress like this. The camera tries to avoid the trashy part of their attire, which is funny. They must have mirrors. What are they thinking?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:24 PM

917 posts, read 2,049,997 times
I think this woman is looking for clothes like the poligamist wives were wearing this spring on TV when the Texas social services people shut down their compound.Some sort of extreme latter day saints group.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:15 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,397,829 times
FLDS Dress

Well, that's pretty modest.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,852,835 times
I dress modestly; and it is not as easy as you think...so I can feel your pain. I rarely buy things from Old Navy or the Gap, because I'm not into paying $25 for a plain shirt...or for a shirt who that is giving them free advertising. Finding clothing that is not transparent...or skirts that are not too tight and do not have a slit is tough too. Also, I don't want to look like I'm 60!

I buy lot's of stuff online; many of the stores such as Newport News, Coldwater Creek, J. Jill, Hannah Lise and Kayla's Blessing were mentioned already. I also like http://www.funkyfrum.com and http://www.softsurroudings.com . My sister works at JCPenny's...and sometimes you can find nice separates there...if it's the right season.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 PM

5,340 posts, read 12,355,029 times
Land's End.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:20 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,098,636 times
Clothes should be well fitting even if you don't have the "perfect" body. No that doesn't necessarily mean tight but loose shirts end up making most larger women look larger. If you are overweight and get something that is so loose that you don't see any bulges, unless you are wearing some sort of slimming and smoothing underwear, then the liklihood is that you will end up looking frumpy. Unless you wear sweats all the time, if you are overweight, you will see bulges, that's just a fact of life. I do think that some people wear too tight clothes but I see absolutely nothing wrong with that green shirt mentioned in an earlier post. Anything much looser, and you would end up looking heavier. The way the pants or skirt fit also has a lot to do with the way any top will look as well.

I dress fairly modestly although I am not afraid of some lower cut tops especially when having a night out. Because I am overweight, my upper half is my best assett and I don't see a problem highlighting that. I am not talking about a plunging neckline but something with a little cleavage that fits well.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:37 AM

6 posts, read 31,966 times
Default Great modest clothes, yet stylish and cheap!

A great store that carries women's modest clothes that is also stylish is www.sierrabrooke.com They also have a nice selections of cute tops, skirt, dresses,and also a girls collections.

I agree that it is hard to find modest clothes but yet cute choices in stores. It's nice that we can shop online and find what we need.

I really like that they have a nice selection of dresses and tops. They also have a section of used clothes called Brooke's Closet. All items in Brooke's Closet is under 10 bucks!

HOpe that helps!

Last edited by selah1029; 09-06-2008 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,283,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
I think this woman is looking for clothes like the poligamist wives were wearing this spring on TV when the Texas social services people shut down their compound.Some sort of extreme latter day saints group.
My thoughts exactly. She will not find that kind of clothing at Old Navy etc. I would suggest googling something like "Christian clothing". I just did a quick google and found this list of online retailers, and most of the links show very modest, Godly clothing:

Online Sources for Modest Christian Clothing - Associated Content

The poster emi_ above provided a good link, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or