Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:04 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times

Advertisements

I personally don't understand this style ...personal choice so I won't question.
all major stores have long jean skirts(old navy,gap,etc) and khaki skirts.

That being said I'm going to put on shorts to mow the lawn =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
If there is a Talbot's in your area, they have a nice selection of longer skirts and conservative blouses and jackets and slacks.
When I look online at Macy's, Bloomingdales, Marcus Neiman, etc, they often feature shorter skirts and have very few, if any, longer.
I have not tried on the clothing at Coldwater Creeks, but their styles are not 'modern floozy'.
Brooks Brothers has conservative styling.
JCPenny is more reasonably priced, and they have both conservative and more trendy styles.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:35 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
I love vintage beauty. Lots of companies have retro-reproduction clothing.

Check out these sites:

A Daddy-O's- bowling shirts, rockabilly, swing, retro shirts, lounge clothing and 50's clothes and dresses.
My Baby Jo-vintage clothing, retro clothing, rockabilly, bowling shirts, dresses, 40's clothing, 50's clothing, swing and plus sizes.
bequiclothing.com

Old 06-08-2008, 07:36 PM

My husband just loves Bettie Page. I think she has a sweet, refreshing quality. If I had her shape, I would certainly get some of her things.

You are right, some of those styles would probably fit the bill for the originator of this thread.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM

324 posts, read 882,969 times
I know what you mean. Some of the clothes I see in stores are so distasteful. I can't imagine walking around showing that much skin or in something so tight! I just read an article in More Magazine called "Un-Bare Summer Dressing," and it had a lot of cute ideas. The magazine always has good fashion advice for women over 40, you should check it out. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I know what you mean. Some of the clothes I see in stores are so distasteful. I can't imagine walking around showing that much skin or in something so tight! I just read an article in More Magazine called "Un-Bare Summer Dressing," and it had a lot of cute ideas. The magazine always has good fashion advice for women over 40, you should check it out. Good luck!
I notice the current trend is in tight clothing. This was a trend a long time ago, and then the fashionistas said tight clothes make a woman look cheap and fat and the advice was to get the proper 'drape' to clothing. That still makes sense to me.

I see jackets on media women that are way too tight and makes them appear as though they've gained weight and need a larger size. News women. Weather 'girls'. If a woman wants to wear something so tight, she should have immaculate tailoring, which most do not.

Blouses now sometimes have such plunging and 'interesting' necklines that women often must purchase a whole selection of bras, longline, strapless, clear straps, dipping décolletage, etc in order to properly wear them.

I suppose this is the sort of thing that keeps the economy going.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
Why not try Old Navy? It has tons of fashionable clothes that are not that revealing. No need to look like an old lady, you can look fashionable too.

Women's & Men's Clothes: Plus Size, Maternity, Baby & Kid's Clothing | Old Navy

Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,171 times
I get a lot of modest clothing from Kayla’s Blessing - The Future Of Modest Clothing!
I don't think I've ever seen a skirt with a slit on there. And they post new items pretty regularly. Aside from slit-less skirts, they also have a bunch of shirts with higher necklines, and 3/4 sleeves. They have a lot of junior sizes though, so they might work better for your daughters. But I bet it would be worth you checking it out.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
The Amish and Mennonite are the leaders in Godley clothing...

Modest Apparel Christian Clothing Seamstress Sewing Custom Patterns Dresses Long Cape Maternity Wedding Attire Bridal Betrothal garments Nursing Wear Homebirth Ladies Women Homeschooling Children clothes undergarments gowns Lydia of Purple jumpers bl

Old 07-28-2008, 12:44 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
Why not try Old Navy? It has tons of fashionable clothes that are not that revealing. No need to look like an old lady, you can look fashionable too.

Women's & Men's Clothes: Plus Size, Maternity, Baby & Kid's Clothing | Old Navy
If you click on the "plus size" tab for Old Navy, that's what a lot of people are talking about - see the woman in the green top? That top is far too tight, it shows every roll and bulge. It's not flattering at all, when a slightly looser cut would be.

EDIT: here's the direct link -
http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/outfit...7&oid=OUT12705

I don't want my clothing to be shapeless and baggy, but I would like it to be more flattering than that.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 07-28-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: add link and comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty