Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times

Advertisements

So I have enerally indifferent opinion on makeup. I'll blame my mom and female relatives. Here is a quick summary of the makeup history of my closest female friends and relatives:
  • mom: lipstick on special ocassions, the last time she bought a new tube was likely my high school graduation or earlier
  • paternal grandma: lipstick on special ocassions, church or going out to dinner
  • maternal grandma: lipstick on special occasions
  • most aunts: lipstick on special occasions or no makeup at all
  • flashy aunt: she had drawn on eyebrows, cat eyes, and bright lipstick well into her 60s. She was my mom's makeup "cautionary tale"
  • female cousins from Dallas: always "done" with makeup, heels the whole nine yards, way more high maintenance than I

So as you can see, the lessons from my family were, "makeup is for only special occasions....." Most of my friends are like me. We barely wear any makeup. Unless we are going out.

In high school I wore lip gloss (when I got to school, obviously!). In college I added some mascara. And that is basically it. I'll wear some eye shadow on "special occasions." Most of my skin care routine was 100% focused on keeping my skin clear and even. And generally my skin was pretty good. It was probably related to both supply and knowledge. It is hard to find foundation and stuff in my shade so I have a theory that many black women don't use foundations and powder because they got annoyed with trying to find the proper shade, and decided to focus on prevention.

And then I hit 30, and all things started going crazy. All of the acne I didn't get in my teens and 20s decided to appear with a vengeance. My skin discolors so easily, that I'll end up getting spots from the most minor things. So I basically focus on staying clear and getting rid of my dark spots and dark circles. Oh and restoring the "youthful glow" of my 20s.

And of course I realized that I should really get some concealer for when the circles are horrible, and I can use it to cover up the dark spots that annoy me. And I had a bronzer powder I used to set it, in lieu of regular powder. I use my concealer once or twice a month or so (it lasts me 2 years). So it was time to replace it. And I decided to skip the concealer for foundation, and get some light powder too.

So I went to the department store, bought some powder. I tried it at home in my lighting, because I find that sometimes the department store people do pick weird colors that are too light or ashy and it isn't readily apparent in the store lighting. So I got home, tried it on my cheek and I was shocked. The powder totally camouflaged my big pores and covered up the dark spots that bother me, with no concealer etc. Way easier. Too bad it isn't enough for my dark circles too.

That's when I had my epiphany, and I finally figured out why so many women wear powder every day and reapply throughout the day.

So I decided, I might just add the powder for a bit more polish during the day....but I am still sticking with my minimal routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,285,436 times
That is great Jade. I love finding makeup that actually works. What brand was the powder? Someone might need recommendation.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
That is great Jade. I love finding makeup that actually works. What brand was the powder? Someone might need recommendation.

Clinique. One of their lighter matte ones! It looked completely light, so I was surprised it was the right shade, I would have never even thought to pick that shade at all.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,352,645 times
Thanks for posting. Glad you found something!! Such a challenge. Was it pressed or loose? I'd like to try something new.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks for posting. Glad you found something!! Such a challenge. Was it pressed or loose? I'd like to try something new.
Pressed! It was the "Perfectly Real" from Clinique.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:13 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,352,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Pressed! It was the "Perfectly Real" from Clinique.
Thanks!! Found it. Did it give a dewey type finish at all??

Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks!! Found it. Did it give a dewey type finish at all??
This one is matte and looked smooth and even, but not dewey. I do have a highlighter and some bronzer to up the golden tones.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,684,096 times
Try the press and roll method for apply it. It REALLY gives a nice finish.

DO NOT USE A POWDER BRUSH TO APPLY POWDER!!!! - YouTube

I don't use a brush to knock off excess. I think using the blowdryer on a low setting to blow it off works better. It doesn't pull or streak any other makeup you have on plus the touch of heat helps your makeup blend even more. Its kinda neat how it works. My dryer is just an avg but (not a low power compact/travel one that doesn't have much air flow usually)

Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM

2,524 posts, read 3,074,333 times
jade408, I love your epiphany. Face powder rules!
That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty