Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's driving me crazy!! I'm in my late 40s and don't remember any time in my life where so many people were defacing their bodies with this crap! Everywhere, I see young kids, young attractive mothers with kids, clean cut good-looking kids too in addition to all of the bikers, whores, skinheads and slackers that always got them in the past. What is the appeal in getting these? Are they permanent or can they be removed?
Tattoos aren't crap. I, myself, have two - I'll explain to you why I, personally, chose to get tattooed.

My tattoos are very personal, and unique to me. I worked very closely with my artist to design the one; the other is smaller, but is very specific to what I wanted. They are visual representations of a very important aspect of my life (they are related very closely to one another).

My first tattoo, though very specific, was done on a whim after years of mentally debating whether or not to get tattooed. I think that, when done well, they're very beautiful and showcase bits of a person's personality. I enjoy looking at mine (they're both in highly visible areas, when I'm not wearing long sleeves), and when I look at it, I feel a sense of pride in my decision making.

My second tattoo I worked very hard on and planned. I got it after a rough patch and it is absolutely beautiful. I got it for me, and it's something that I will always cherish.

My tattoos, since they are highly visible, have become talking points/ice breakers, and I have been complimented on them countless times (usually by women in your age range). While nice (sometimes), that's just an added part of what having a tattoo is. It's a way to showcase artwork and parts of yourself.

Now, that's not to say that people don't get ill-thought out or crappy tattoos. Every shop has a book of "flash" which are pictures of generic tattoos that people can choose from. You can always tell the difference between a personal tattoo and a generic one.

As far as permanence, yes they are. Unless you choose to pay thousands of dollars for laser removal, or to get your tattoo covered up with other tattoos.

Last edited by tazzled; 11-18-2012 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I am not going to explain why I got mine. That is in another post.

I will say that I am none of the 'types' of people that the OP states gets tattoos. I also have 2 children, who are teens, who love my tattoos.

Neither of them want tattoos, and that is their choice..... Having a tattoo does not necessarily make your children also want to have them. Both of my children are their own individual self, unique in their own ways and very intelligent.

I really have no idea why I am trying to explain any of this to a mindless person.

People have tattoos because people want tattoos and it is none of your business to question why, nor is it your right to judge those that have them.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
Because we like them or they mean something to us. When I am dressed in street clothes you would never guess that I have a tattoo. There are a lot of us who have tatoos in places that we can cover them up or reveal them, depending on the mood or circumstances. And no, we are not all loosers. You might be suprised as to who has a tatoo under that power suit.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
Ok, this is clearly a mere attempt to bait people.

Ignore the OP and this thread will die (or be closed by the mods for his personal attacks.)

Old 11-18-2012, 02:00 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So many people so ignorant about tattoos and tattooing.

I'm heavily tattooed and a pilot with an engineering degree. I received them because I think of tattoos as art and I truly like the way they look. It's as simple as that. I'm not a *****, or a criminal (I have a perfectly clean record and that includes a 10 year FBI check which is required when you work in secure parts of international airports) don't do drugs and am a homebody for the most part.

It's not a 'fad' as humans have been getting tattooed for thousands of years, it's just become more socially acceptable. As for the 'terrible' tattoos that fade, yes those exist. They are also caused by having an inexperienced tattoo artist, subpar ink and not taking care of it. I have a friend who has full sleeves that are more than 10 years old and with very minimal touch ups has kept them looking nearly brand new. My left forearm was done nearly 8 years ago and I still have people asking if it's new because I take care of my skin, don't tan and exfoliate and moisturize on a regular basis.

Please, educate yourself before using rash stereotypes on people.
Yes, people have been tattooing for a long time but it was usually discreet and subtle. Now we have full body cinema in addition to nauseating piercings. It's basically a cultural meme spread by TV shows that the insecure buy into because they have such low self esteem. Personally I don't feel the need to disfigure my body in order to fit in.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Have you missed the approximately 157,000,000 other threads on this?

I'll save you the time of a taxing keyword search and hours of entertaining reading: because they like them.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

but will always be popular with the lower class, criminals, gangs, etc.
And teachers, and doctors, and professors, and accountants, and psychologists, and journalists, and attorneys, and social workers, and bartenders, and restaurant managers, and government workers, and payroll secretaries, and nurses... just a few of the professions of people I personally know who have tattoos. Do they all have highly visible ones? Nope. Are they all "covered" with them? Nope. Do many of them have discreet ones they are able to conceal as needed when professional demands make this the appropriate choice? Yup.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Could someone please explain to me why people ask such ridiculous questions with presmises nowhere near based in reality?

Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
you can take a person away from the trailer park, but cannot take the trailer park out of the person. what kind of responsible parent encourages their kid to deface his body?
Your mother should be turned into the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).

Last edited by DoneWithDallas; 11-18-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
This thread needs to be closed, as a previous poster stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty