U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,162,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Im anti-fake fur.

To me it looks cheap unless you are going for a kitschy type look.

Just look at a couple real furs vs fakes. Its just not the same thing.

All fur is a bit much too these days for fashion and being just way too hot if its real.

I like coats like these:

Source:
Glamorous Classic skinny warm coat | martofchina.com

The collar is fox fur and you can take it off when its warmer and it doesn't look like an old lady coat.
Also much cheaper to clean a removable collar vs. a full coat. (fake fur or not)

Super cute but would be worried about the type of fur from that collar. My friend just did a study that showed that coats from China often use dog fur. DNA tested and everything. They have all kinds of weird euphenistic names for it.

See the following: http://news.discovery.com/animals/fa...-dog-hair.html

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-u...-industry.aspx

Last edited by confusedasusual; 11-22-2012 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,252,467 times
1) Please don't purchase real fur. It's such a shame that there is still a market for these things. Animals don't need to be slaughtered in the name of fashion when there are such great faux products out there.

2)Here in Boston you would never see someone wear that coat unless they were an 80 year old babushka.

Why?

All over fur on a piece bigger than a vest is very formal, yet somehow doesn't work is business formal attire. We also dress a bit more conservative here than in NYC.

Other than that, I love the color.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Super cute but would be worried about the type of fur from that collar. My friend just did a study that showed that coats from China often use dog fur. DNA tested and everything. They have all kinds of weird euphenistic n ames for it.

See the following: "Faux" Fur on Clothing May Contain Dog Hair : Discovery News

The Chinese Fur Industry | PETA.org

That coat is only 34$. i doubt its even real dog fur. LOL. I was just using it as a visual example of a cut with use of fur in a coat. Real furs have a scent to them. Synthetics do not. There was a big scam with a few companies awhile ago about that.

If you have 1500$ to throw around for one article of clothing...i would hope to god you could tell the difference. I thought that was actually kinda funny people would spend that much and be that dumb.

Factory fur of any type is crap in general compared to wild.
Factory fur and food farms should be banned. They treat factory meat/animal resources just as badly here in the US but that is another thread.

You can find just the collars on coats at second hand stores all the time. They may not last as long as a new one but you can find some really nice deals that will work with most coat cuts.

Last edited by Opsimathia; 11-24-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 AM

4,827 posts, read 6,929,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Im anti-fake fur.

To me it looks cheap unless you are going for a kitschy type look.

Just look at a couple real furs vs fakes. Its just not the same thing.

All fur is a bit much too these days for fashion and being just way too hot if its real.

I like coats like these:

Source:
Glamorous Classic skinny warm coat | martofchina.com

The collar is fox fur and you can take it off when its warmer and it doesn't look like an old lady coat.
Also much cheaper to clean a removable collar vs. a full coat. (fake fur or not)

This coat is gorgeous!!!!! And I love that you can take the fur collar off (I wouldn't buy it w/a real fox fur, though, I would get faux)

Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,318,332 times
In Philadelphia you are more likley to see a dark coat like this one. Every woman seems to own one and on a really cold day they all come out of the woodwork. Many are real but more and more they are not.

Sable Faux Fur Signature Coat | Fabulous-Furs

Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 PM

265 posts, read 432,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
In Philadelphia you are more likley to see a dark coat like this one. Every woman seems to own one and on a really cold day they all come out of the woodwork. Many are real but more and more they are not.

Sable Faux Fur Signature Coat | Fabulous-Furs
wow thats pretty, thanks for the link!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 PM

265 posts, read 432,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
1) Please don't purchase real fur. It's such a shame that there is still a market for these things. Animals don't need to be slaughtered in the name of fashion when there are such great faux products out there.

2)Here in Boston you would never see someone wear that coat unless they were an 80 year old babushka.

Why?

All over fur on a piece bigger than a vest is very formal, yet somehow doesn't work is business formal attire. We also dress a bit more conservative here than in NYC.

Other than that, I love the color.
LOL about the babushka--that said i dont know if younger or even middle aged women would wear such a thing in nyc or philly. Oh and its a FAUX not the real thing

Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,060,793 times
Ugh... 'faux'. Next step is to buy a $25 fake quartz Rolex from a guy on the street corner, plastic 'pearls', and cubic zirconia 'diamonds'.
(just a personal opinion) But fake anything isn't worth having, and it attempts to portray an image that is also 'faux'.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 AM

4,551 posts, read 9,861,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
I want to glam up my style a bit but don't want to look like im wearing a dressing gown or matronly. I've had my eye on this for a while--im going for an urban chic look as I'll be living in Philadelphia and working in NYC quite a bit. Also, do people still wear coats like these in the city? What are your thoughts?

Blonde Mink Faux Fur Full-Length Hooded Coat | Fabulous-Furs

It isn't bad at all. It is a nice way to get a fun coat without killing an animal or trying to make some sort of statement that you have loads of money when you don't. Most wealthy people don't wear fur anymore

Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 AM

4,551 posts, read 9,861,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Ugh... 'faux'. Next step is to buy a $25 fake quartz Rolex from a guy on the street corner, plastic 'pearls', and cubic zirconia 'diamonds'.
(just a personal opinion) But fake anything isn't worth having, and it attempts to portray an image that is also 'faux'.

Good point wearng fur is like lying.....portraying an image that is very faux....I'm glad you understand that over in Queensland....wink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty