U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM

395 posts, read 599,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
I want to glam up my style a bit but don't want to look like im wearing a dressing gown or matronly. I've had my eye on this for a while--im going for an urban chic look as I'll be living in Philadelphia and working in NYC quite a bit. Also, do people still wear coats like these in the city? What are your thoughts?

Blonde Mink Faux Fur Full-Length Hooded Coat | Fabulous-Furs
I don't like it, b/c mink is typically not that colour.

Also depends on who is wearing it. If you are tall, slender it might look ok, otherwise I don't think it's all that flattering.

My family member owned a few real minks, cost like 10k each and also ways needed summer storage. Not worth the trouble for real fur and uncool to animals too.

Faux is okay, but i didn't like the style of the pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
sorry deepwater, I can't believe I missed that in your title!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,062,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
It isn't bad at all. It is a nice way to get a fun coat without killing an animal or trying to make some sort of statement that you have loads of money when you don't. Most wealthy people don't wear fur anymore
Then you haven't been to any Harvard hockey games. But nowadays they wear it on the inside of the coats.

People that wear faux furs (and jewelry) are trying to make a statement that they may have loads of money. I find it good comedy.

A reasonable study of significant sample size would yield some plausibility... Please provide some documentable proof, and no here say.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Good point wearng fur is like lying.....portraying an image that is very faux....I'm glad you understand that over in Queensland....wink
First, I am not in Queensland... that was for a vacation for a while, but I sense that reading comprehension was never someone's strong suit.
Second, I get wierded out by your fascination with me.
Third, may I recommend you block me, as I will block you, because I only deal with intellectuals, and not stall muckers.

'Nuff' said.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM

4,551 posts, read 9,863,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Then you haven't been to any Harvard hockey games. But nowadays they wear it on the inside of the coats.

People that wear faux furs (and jewelry) are trying to make a statement that they may have loads of money. I find it good comedy.

A reasonable study of significant sample size would yield some plausibility... Please provide some documentable proof, and no here say.

Lol! You live in the far east......you "claim"to. Harvard hockey games sure i went when fur was fashionable times change....lol!!!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Lol! You live in the far east......you "claim"to. Harvard hockey games sure i went when fur was fashionable times change....lol!!!
Fur is still fashionable... Personally, not a big fan of raccoon, as they wore at Harvard (but I went to the games 20 years ago), but the SO gets a female-pelt full length mink for Xmas

Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 AM

18,855 posts, read 12,481,974 times
I think it is beautiful. I've been looking at Dennis Basso coats on QVC for a year or two. I prefer faux fur to be not too realistic, because it never does look really real.

If the coat makes you feel happy, then wear it. I think it would look sharp with tall boots.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 AM

3,053 posts, read 3,428,459 times
Faux fur is fake, real fur is cruel.

I think I'd rather be fake.

But I'm a vegetarian going on five years now...sooooo I don't think anyone's going to catch me wearing fur.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Faux fur is fake, real fur is cruel.

I think I'd rather be fake.

But I'm a vegetarian going on five years now...sooooo I don't think anyone's going to catch me wearing fur.

Nor me. I'd never wear fur. Really compassion rules fur out for any kind person!

As far as Faux Fur goes, NO AGAIN! Since I'm ethically opposed to fur, why would I want to look as though I'm wearing it?

Also, much Faux fur is mixed with real fur - from dogs and cats! They make most faux fur in Asia and this is a common practice.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,426,168 times
Go vegan or shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

LOL

There are animal by-products in so many things that is harvested in a very cruel fashion.
If you care enough to go veggie you should take the next step.

To hate fur and use other products is hypocritical.

Done the vegan thing and its not that hard. so....get on it or put the soap box away.

Slightly off topic but slightly on topic i guess.

Not a slap in the face on anti fur opinions, but more a kick in the bum to go all the way before pointing your fingers at others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty