U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,979,132 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a guy one time and he said he looks at women's hands and he thinks if a woman takes good care of her nails and they look nice then that helps him form a positive impression of her. I usually do my own, but if I had endless money I would definitely get them done a couple times a month. I like them painted and I try to be fairly decent nail polish. The cheap dollar stuff just doesn't last as long, so I think it's worth paying more for better quality polish.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Status: "Minds, like parachutes, only function when open." (set 7 hours ago)

4,107 posts, read 2,393,403 times
I get complements on my nails all the time. They are medium to long in length and usually have bright colored polish on them. I rub olive oil into the nail bed when I remove my polish this seems to keep them from breaking.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 PM

6,061 posts, read 6,554,103 times
Quote:
I also use a nail cream daily to add extra moisture.
For a while now I've been trying to switch over to more 'natural' things for my hair/skin/nails etc.

I took a look at the ingredients list on some of my nail stuff....a lot of alcohol, and 'cetyl' stuff.

Websites that have home and natural remedies say just use plain old olive oil. I think I'll also check out almond oil, which I think I might like the smell of better.

A 'cuticle' oil I bought at a beauty supply store didn't even have ANY ingredients listed. Who knows what the heck it is.

I do notice people's hands. And although I like the look of painted nails, I'm trying to fight the vanity urge. SKin care at least serves a purpose of keeping skin in good condition...nail polish serves no real funtional purpose at all really, I don't think. Pure vanity. (What can I say, it's a personal struggle)

Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM

6,846 posts, read 14,629,434 times
Since I play mandolin and guitar, the nails on my left hand have to be very short, so I don't tend to put polish on them (other than clear strengthening stuff occasionally). Since there is no polish on the left hand, there is none on the right.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 AM

11,445 posts, read 19,487,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
..nail polish serves no real funtional purpose at all really
It does. When your hands are in water all the time, polish actually helps keep the moisture IN. The water which strips your nails and hands of oils, can't get to the nail.

When I did my nails twice a week for three months a couple of years back, my nails did get stronger. It was cool, but I had to spend hours every week on my nails -- hated that.

The other thing is personal for me. I am a cuticle chewer. When my nails are painted I stop.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:35 AM

6,061 posts, read 6,554,103 times
I read an article just the other day that was so anti-cutting cuticles. Is said even pushing them back can be detrimental and didn't even recommend that. Said if you do push them back do it gently.

Another article actually pointed out how doing those things damages nail fibers. Said that if you tend to get side breaks deep in the nail bed that you have to 'grow out' -- messing with your cuticles could be the reason. And I do get those side slit breaks often.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to be more gentle with myself...what a concept!

Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 AM

42,303 posts, read 49,905,562 times
Short, no polish.

Sometimes I buff 'em. Not often.
I don't touch the cuticles.

I don't find fake nails attractive at all.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:32 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,522,852 times
I have short, rounded nails with a French manicure. I have it done twice a month. Worth it!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:13 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,282,139 times
Old and predictable joke but I have to do it..

What do you call a lesbian with long fingernails?

Spoiler
Single.

Anyway, my nails are short. I sometimes paint them a pale color. I grew up getting manicures with my Grandma, who always had long, perfectly cared for natural nails, so I certainly keep them neat and clean and sometimes painted or buffed but I never could stand it when they get long, because they get in the way of everyday life for me. The couple times I paid for artificial nails I felt completely handicapped by them.

I did do very practical (but still longer than usual) articificals for my wedding day though... but they were still just barely past fingertip length.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 19,487,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I read an article just the other day that was so anti-cutting cuticles. Is said even pushing them back can be detrimental and didn't even recommend that. Said if you do push them back do it gently.

Another article actually pointed out how doing those things damages nail fibers. Said that if you tend to get side breaks deep in the nail bed that you have to 'grow out' -- messing with your cuticles could be the reason. And I do get those side slit breaks often.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to be more gentle with myself...what a concept!
Cutting (or chewing -- bad Tallysmom!) does screw up your nails. Pushing them back gently when they are thoroughly soaked (like in a shower or bath) is fine. It's best to not take a stick to your nails -- like a cuticle pusher.

I am a nervous chewer, and I chew and tear the cuticle on my right thumb -- the nail is quite humpy -- when you damage the cuticle like that you damage the nail and it forms a bump across the nail to match the cuticle. When I paint my nails and stop chewing, the cuticle heals and the humps grow out. I've kept my nails painted for months and not chewed but off comes the polish and that thumb gets chewed up again.

But in some people the cuticle attaches itself to the nail and as the nail grows the cuticle layer grows with it... that happens to me. Pushing the cuticle prevents that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or